Worst start to the season...

And i dont know what to do,

I have only made 3 changes from my previous squad, kept the same tactics because they were working brilliantly last season. 13 games, Won 3 / Lost 10.

-Injuries are occurring when fitness levels seem fine,

-Adequate amount of staff

-Training facilities are almost top notch

Wouldn't normally bother asking but it annoys me when these slumps come about. Any ideas what i should be looking at?

It's Football and your job is to manage the team out of it, it's the whole point of the game some you win some you lose somebody has to struggle and this your turn.

I understand im not going to win everything, but when you're winning 3-0 and then lose 4-7.It makes you wonder. Most of my games i have started off in the lead and only to lose.

The only alterations i have made are the captains that the players were happy with. The thing that annoys me with FM is that its so easy to get sacked from a club and i don't want to start with a different team because of all the work ive put in lol

I understand im not going to win everything, but when you're winning 3-0 and then lose 4-7.It makes you wonder. Most of my games i have started off in the lead and only to lose.

The only alterations i have made are the captains that the players were happy with. The thing that annoys me with FM is that its so easy to get sacked from a club and i don't want to start with a different team because of all the work ive put in lol

Getting sacked on FM appears far less frequent than real life. Will an FM Leeds have 5 managers before Xmas even if some are doing ok ? I find getting sacked part of the fun as you never know where you will end up at next. At least in FM you will get another job unlike the real world where even a good manager may never work again. You may find it frustrating but this is a Football Manager game so to reflect reality it should remain like that, it should not always be fair.

If you work out for yourself how to get out of a rut then you can use that experience in future on the other hand if it doesn't then you will know what not to do in future.

If this is an actual scenario you have seen, your tactics are shot to pieces. Consider starting a thread in the Tactics Forum.

I used the same tactics the season before and ended up 7th in the Premiership. The season after i was predicted to finish 8th! I'm now 18th lol. I've been racking my brains to see if theres anything i have missed and i cant think of anything that would have such an affect.

But thanks RT, i should get a defensive tactic on the go i may have a look down there.

I used the same tactics the season before and ended up 7th in the Premiership. The season after i was predicted to finish 8th! I'm now 18th lol. I've been racking my brains to see if theres anything i have missed and i cant think of anything that would have such an affect.

But thanks RT, i should get a defensive tactic on the go i may have a look down there.

If the season you came 7th was your first season after promotion, it was affected by the element of surprise.

Now that teams are giving you more respect, you need to think about how they are playing against you and why the downturn in performance is happening. The AI does not suss your tactics out, but it is intelligent enough to dynamically change the way it plays against you. It sounds like you sat on a successful tactic and didn't evolve in response to the different way the AI plays you.

What we often see in the tactics forum is this sort of situation. Usually a side wins promotion playing a fairly aggressive style of play, and they surprise in their first season in the higher league.

I've had this save since the beta and never really had any major issues. Bearing in mind my first 2 seasons were during the beta this is how my seasons have panned out:

14/15 - 21st - Championship 4-4-2

15/16 - 17th Championship 4-3-2-1

16/17 - 2nd Championship 4-3-2-1

17/18 - 14th Premiership 4-3-2-1 Changed to 4-4-2 Diamond half way through the season

18/19 - 7th Premieship 4-4-2 Diamond // 2 CB's // WBL - DM - WBR // 2 CM's // 1 AMC // 2 FW

19/20 - 17th Premiership 4-4-2 Diamond

I did notice that i didnt play as many friendlies at the start of the season as i did with my previous starts. I was wondering if this could have any affect? Quite a few more injuries were occurring than ive seen in previous seasons.

I didn't make any major rotations but i was retraining a CB to WBL which was successful.

I have seen the AI change formation during a few games, rarely a thing in lower league games but maybe its something i have to adapt to playing higher tier? However choosing the right formation to go up against i could actually fall here...

Morale has a major impact ive found.

Get off to a winning start and it seems to be much easier.

I thought this, im not sure if its a form of 'cheating' but when it was the week of National games i would set up a friendly against someone of similar to lower standards to try and get a win to boost morale.

Start of my new season i have set up a tour of scotland, will see how that pans out and add a few extra friendlies in against lower league teams

I thought this, im not sure if its a form of 'cheating' but when it was the week of National games i would set up a friendly against someone of similar to lower standards to try and get a win to boost morale.

Start of my new season i have set up a tour of scotland, will see how that pans out and add a few extra friendlies in against lower league teams

Its hardly cheating, some teams dont care about friendly results as they look at it only from a fitness point of view, other teams like to get momentum before the season and do pick weaker teams to play against.

So i took on all your advice, thought it might be a good idea to show my results so far mainly RTHerringbone's. Instead of just using the 1 tactic, i have set up a second it's a 4-3-3 i spose playing wide, mentality set to counter and structured. After i get my lead with 5-3-2 diamond i switch over.

Also playing friendlies to keep the morale up and keep the youth players sweet who aint getting many games when international games are on in between a long week.

newseason_zps0a4b1b32.png

Archived