Default tactic any good?

Hi,

I like playing FM but I don't want to waste hours and hours searching for and testing tactics, I want to focus on scouting and transfers.

Are the default tactics any good to play with or will you come up short with those?

Some advice would be great!

Thanks

I did this in I think FM13. It works alright. Probably the only year I've regularly beaten the teams below me (while being battered by bigger sides).

Pick a basic formation for your squad, stick on standard/flexible and if there's an obvious change to make while you're actually playing make it, but as you get better players small problems tend to iron themselves out.

If you don't want to alter any roles/duties, and not add any PIs or TIs, you'll have to make sure you get good players for the tactic in question.

It is a very simplistic output, but if you can get player who fit the tactic it can be as good a tactic as any other choice.

As kingjericho said. If you choose a pre-made tactic and don't make any adjustments to it whatsoever, you better make sure that the players you have will fit reasonably well into that formation and those particular roles/duties. Then it could work well. I have just started a new save as Arsenal where I have gone as simplistic as never before; 4231 Wide, Control or Attacking mentality, Very Fluid. Changed a couple of roles/duties from the default tactic, added 4 or 5 team instructions, and only 1 player specific instruction. That's simplistic for me. It's working remarkably well.

As kingjericho said. If you choose a pre-made tactic and don't make any adjustments to it whatsoever, you better make sure that the players you have will fit reasonably well into that formation and those particular roles/duties. Then it could work well. I have just started a new save as Arsenal where I have gone as simplistic as never before; 4231 Wide, Control or Attacking mentality, Very Fluid. Changed a couple of roles/duties from the default tactic, added 4 or 5 team instructions, and only 1 player specific instruction. That's simplistic for me. It's working remarkably well.

Thanks for the tips guys!

What team instructions did you use for that 4231 wide? It's the formation I also want to play with!

Thanks for the tips guys!

What team instructions did you use for that 4231 wide? It's the formation I also want to play with!

Do you have my players though?

But ok; my TI's are Work ball, whip corners, close down more and roam. Sometimes I also add (to attacking mentality) that "prevent keeper distribute short" thingy if I need to score and I feel that the other team is playing a keep the ball strategy. The only PI I use is telling my keepers to distribute to full backs. Player roles are (back to front and left to right): SK/d. FB/s, CD/d, CD/d, FB/auto. DLP/s, CM/d. IF or W/s, T, IF or W/s. CF/a. "Or" obviously depending on which player I use in that position; most of my alternatives plays their best when set to a IF role, but a few (like Podolski, Walcott) likes a W role better.

I used to play this with a roaming playmaker instead of a DLP/s, but have come to the conclusion that a DLP/s role will actually see that player be more involved, in this particular setup. I was worried that a DLP/s would sit too deep and not be involved in the attack much, but this isn't the case at all. And a AP/s does not track back fast enough, and is the poorest choice for a midfield playmaker role in this 4231 and with control/attacking mentalities, I feel. I also used to have a AM/s instead of the trequartista, but decided that I don't need the AMC player be involved that much in defending now, so opted for a treq instead. The subtle changes to the match engine in the latest 2 patches also had a role to play in these decisions.

There's also set piece instructions to consider, and I have made some tweaks to the default setup, the most significant being that I have told the right full back and both CD's to zonal mark the 6 yard box.

Opposition instructions: Yes, I use those too, but here I am a bit lazy and and go with my assistant's recommendations, as I have a good one. Except his recommendations for tackling; he likes to tackle hard, I don't. But I take his advice on marking, closing down and weak foot.

And finally match prep. Once I have full tactical familiarity I use attacking movement if I'm expecting to dominate - and I most often do; otherwise I stick it to teamwork.

All considered, not really as simple as choosing a formation and play, is it ... but for me, pretty much as close to plug-and-play as I can put up with :)

Thanks alot, will try your settings!!

Do you have my players though?

But ok; my TI's are Work ball, whip corners, close down more and roam. Sometimes I also add (to attacking mentality) that "prevent keeper distribute short" thingy if I need to score and I feel that the other team is playing a keep the ball strategy. The only PI I use is telling my keepers to distribute to full backs. Player roles are (back to front and left to right): SK/d. FB/s, CD/d, CD/d, FB/auto. DLP/s, CM/d. IF or W/s, T, IF or W/s. CF/a. "Or" obviously depending on which player I use in that position; most of my alternatives plays their best when set to a IF role, but a few (like Podolski, Walcott) likes a W role better.

I used to play this with a roaming playmaker instead of a DLP/s, but have come to the conclusion that a DLP/s role will actually see that player be more involved, in this particular setup. I was worried that a DLP/s would sit too deep and not be involved in the attack much, but this isn't the case at all. And a AP/s does not track back fast enough, and is the poorest choice for a midfield playmaker role in this 4231 and with control/attacking mentalities, I feel. I also used to have a AM/s instead of the trequartista, but decided that I don't need the AMC player be involved that much in defending now, so opted for a treq instead. The subtle changes to the match engine in the latest 2 patches also had a role to play in these decisions.

There's also set piece instructions to consider, and I have made some tweaks to the default setup, the most significant being that I have told the right full back and both CD's to zonal mark the 6 yard box.

Opposition instructions: Yes, I use those too, but here I am a bit lazy and and go with my assistant's recommendations, as I have a good one. Except his recommendations for tackling; he likes to tackle hard, I don't. But I take his advice on marking, closing down and weak foot.

And finally match prep. Once I have full tactical familiarity I use attacking movement if I'm expecting to dominate - and I most often do; otherwise I stick it to teamwork.

All considered, not really as simple as choosing a formation and play, is it ... but for me, pretty much as close to plug-and-play as I can put up with :)

Archived