FM15 Small Club to Big Club Americas Challenge... brought to you by DodgeeD & Razer82

The Aim

To take a previously unplayable team from the lower leagues of a nation from the Americas to their domestic title, the Copa Libertadores or NACL and then onto the Club World Cup**! These do not have to be won in the same season.

*NOTE: The Club World Cup has been added to the challenge in order to bring the USA in as a playable nation. A game with just winning the NACL could be over rather quickly with a side from the MLS so an extra degree of difficulty has been added for longevity.

The Setup

Leagues that can be used - Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico*, Peru, Uruguay, USA

*NOTE: Mexican teams are invited to compete in the Copa Libertadores. However, they must win the NACL as part of the challenge.

With changes being made to the editor to allow for opening/closing stages (used by a lot of South and Central American leagues), user-created leagues will be allowed. We will add links to those leagues as and when they are created. Please only use the leagues that are linked to here. If you create/find an additional league that you would like to be included in the challenge, post it here so Razer82 and DodgeeD can check it and approve it.

Reputations of Leagues eligible for this challenge - To be updated for FM15.

Argentina 130

Brazil 150

Chile 112

Colombia 108

Mexico 130

Peru 98

Uruguay 103

USA 116

Getting Started

Load all the available division within the nation you select.

You may also load other North/South American leagues. This will ensure that the other nations are more competitive as they produce more newgens who regularly play. You must select the start date for the league you intend to play in, however.

A Large database should be selected (although you are free to use other database sizes if you wish to)

'Disable Player Attribute Masking' must not be selected.

You can load all players from the nation that you have selected to manage in and you may also select the option to load players from any other naitons you have selected as well as the Top Clubs in the continent.

The extra levels of detail that you can change while in the game are up to you, as they shouldn’t make any difference.

Add yourself as an unemployed Manager, the details of which are unimportant.

Then go on holiday until the new seasons teams are generated, see below for actual dates, and select one of the newly promoted teams.

League Reset Dates - Please note these are based on previous versions and will be updated as necessary (if you find that one is not correct, please let us know and we'll update the list).

Also, it is a good idea to stop holidaying and save your game one day before these reset dates. That way, if the teams that come up don't take your fancy, you can easily reload your save and see if any different teams are promoted.

Argentina - 15th July

Brazil - 2nd January

Chile - 25th June

Colombia - 10th January

Mexico - 10th June

Peru - 1st January*

Uruguay - 1st July

USA - 27th December

Confirmed for FM15

Then retire your original manager profile.

Add a new manager with the experience set to ‘Sunday League Footballer’, with coaching badges set to 'None'. The distribution of the attributes is entirely up to you.

Take over one of the clubs newly promoted into the lowest division within your selected nation. If you are unsure about which clubs have been promoted then go to the season summary screen and choose one of the teams promoted from the lowest (unplayable) division.

It is now up to you to manage the club to their domestic title, the Copa Libertadores or NACL and then onto the Club World Cup.

You are not permitted to move between clubs unless you are sacked; If you are sacked, you can either take over at another club the meet the original challenge criteria or just quit the current save and start again. If you have loaded more than one naiton, you may switch naitons at this point.

Any form of international management is not allowed until the challenge has been completed.

There are no restrictions on assigning feeder / parent clubs.

Scouting Guidelines

You can only sign players that you are able to scout or trial at the club first, so in short the player must have the 'Get scout report' button on his profile screen. The one exception to this is when you ask a current squad/staff member to recommend a new signing or recieve an agent offer. It is then ok to sign him as the person who recommended him knows of him anyway.

No external utilities should be used and the database should be un-edited (excepting approved additional leagues). Should SI release a data update, this would be allowed. It is advised that people should update using the latest patches as they are released.

Rules for this Thread

Player naming is allowed. (This is a warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Discussion on tactics is allowed. (This is another warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Screenshots for anything are encouraged.

When you join the challenge, could you post a screenshot of your manager's profile on the date you take control at your new club so we can see your reputation is 'sunday League' or 'Automatic'.

Progress of your club should be documented using this thread. We want to hear the story of your club all the way through (success and failure), so please keep us updated, even if you are doing really badly.

At the end of every season, could everyone post some kind of season review, including the minimum of a screenshot of the league table (including opening/closing and/or average points tables if your league follows these formats). Screenshots of progress in cups (results or victory in the final) are optional. Progress in continental competitions should be shown (group tables, results, key match overviews, etc).

Any other screenshots you wish to add (key players, transfer history, mews items, youth prospects) are up to you but encouraged to give us a fuller picture.

If you give this a title in bold and include your team's logo, it makes it a bit easier for others to pick out.

How to Post a Screenshot

1. While in FM, press ALT + F9.

2. This should save a screenshot in the following folder: Documents/Sports Interactive/ Football Manager 2014/ Screenshots

3. Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket or Imageshack

4. Post the direct Url to the image here.

Good luck to everyone taking part this year.

A Guide to the Americas Challenge

This challenge is a great chance to try something different away from the more popular European leagues but the different formats used by the various leagues can be a bit daunting so here is a quick overview of the leagues and continental competitions in the game that will hopefully make things a bit clearer:

Domestic Leagues

Argentina -

Brazil -

Chile -

There are two divisions in the game, which break down as follows:

First Division B - Consists of 14 teams. You play an Opening and Closing Stage, each Stage you play 19 games. You play all teams once in the league you also play 6 teams local to you to make up the 19 games. The winner of each stage enters a Promotion play off along with the two teams who finish highest in the overall league out of those already not qualified. The lowest in the overall league gets relegated

First Division - Consists of 17teams you play again in two stages and play each team once. The bottom four go down into the First Division B. Each winner of each stage go into the end of season playoff along with the teams who finish highest in the overall league. This decides who enters continental places.

Chilean Cup - Every team enters you enter an initial 4 team group and the winners of this enter the second round which becomes straight knockout over two legs all the way to the final.

Chilean Super Cup - Match between the Chile Cup winners and the overall winners of the First Division

Colombia -

Peru - Just the one division in Peru which works out as follows:-

Peruvian First Division - 16 teams play each other twice (30 games). The league is then split into two groups, teams in the odd numbered places in one group & the even numbered places in another group. These teams then play each twice more (14 games) for a total of 44 league games. The top team from each group then plays a two legged playoff to crown the champions. The two teams at the bottom of the overall league table are relegated.

There is not cup competition.

Uruguay - There are two divisions in the game, which break down as follows:

Uruguayan Second Professional League - 14 teams play each other twice (26 games). The top two sides are promoted automatically, while places 3-10 enter a play-off for the final promotion spot. The team in 14th place goes down and one team from the unplayable Second Amateur League comes up.

Uruguayan First Division - 16 teams play each other in separate opening and closing stages (15 games each). The two stage winners then play each other in a two-legged play-off (this is not played if the same team wins both stages) for the right to play the top side from the combined table in a championship play-off (again, this match is not played if the same team has won both stages). Relegation is decided on 'accumulative points', with the three teams with the lowest points totals over the last two seasons going down.

There is no domestic cup.

Mexico -

U.S.A. -

Continental Competitions

Copa Libertadores - The big one for South American teams (with a few Meixcan sides thrown in). It consists of preliminary rounds, a group stage, and three knockout rounds before a two-legged final. The winner qualifies for the Club World Cup (unless that happens to be a Mexican side, in which case the losing finalist goes through) as well as the Recopa.

Copa Sudamericana - Often billed as the equivalent of the Europa League but there are a couple of key differences. First of all, there is no group stage. This is two-legged knockout football all the way. Secondly, some nations allow the same teams to enter this cup and the Copa Libertadores in the same season (the competitions do not run concurrently, making this possible). The winner qualifies for the Recopa.

Recopa - simply a two-legged Super Cup match between the Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana winners.

NACL - The North American Champions League (or CONCACAF Champions League in real life) is for North and Central Ameircan club sides, and Caribbean teams as well. Qualifying rounds are followed by a group stage and two-legged knockout rounds before a two-legged final, the winner of which goes to the Club World Cup.

Club World Cup - The last stage of the challenge. If you play as a South American side, you get to go straight into the semi-finals. NACL winners have one extra match to play before they try to show their worth against the best Europe (usually) has to offer.

Approved Custom Leagues

These will be added as and when they become available

A History of the Challenge

This challenge has been around in various forms since FM08. Here are links to the previous incarnations and a Hall of Fame of all of those who have completed it:

iseemonsters' FM08 Small club to big club South American challenge - the original incarnaiton of the challenge saw the first completion as MacTavish won the Lİbertadores (Club World Cup was not a requirement then) with Uruguayan side Club Oreintal de Futbol

Razer82’s FM09 Small Club From A South American Nation Adventure Challenge - the year Razer took over was the most popular year of the challenge to date as the thread hit 10 pages! There were also three completions as dafuge reached the top with Brazlandia in er... Brazil, DodgeeD swept all before him on both contients with Mexican side Estudiantes Santander, and daemonic also did the business with Sociedade Esportiva Ypiranga Futebol Clube also in Brazil.

Razer82's FM10 Small Club to Big Club Americas Challenge

Razer82's FM11 Small Club To Big Club Americas Challenge

Razer82's FM12 Small Club to Big Club Americas Challenge

Razer82's FM13 Small Club to Big Club Americas Challenge

FM14 Small Club to Big Club Americas Challenge... brought to you by Razer82 & DodeeD

If any players would like to do a little write up for any of the missing leagues, please feel free.

good luck with the challenge this year Razer. Time permitting (which is currently unknown given i have a baby daughter) i'd like to get stuck into a save on here this year after the Big Euro Nation challenge...

Thanks, hopefully some people will look to take it on.

Personally, I'm struggling to get things right with a new save so haven't fully committed to an attempt yet.

Wonder if you will allow people to use the 2 new MLS expansion sides when you holiday a year.

To be honest, I forgot all about the new teams coming into the league after the holiday season. I would say that along with side that finished bottom of the league, one of the expansion sides would also be eligible for the challenge.

That's actually got me interested in heading back to the MLS, been a while.

Isn't it a bit of a head start using MLS clubs, wouldn't just Latin American nations be better?

Yes and no, the better starting point for the league is obviously an advantage but then you've got the complexity of the league rules for the drafting & salary cap.

I nearly fell foul of the salary cap myself, would have ended up with 15 players on the roster & maxed out weekly salary amount. Having two DPs might been seen as an advantage but the £4.5k a week of salary they take up could be used on a number of squad players with potential instead.

brettney1980 - Good luck in Orlando.

First season update

So i am all done for the first season a very good year for me and the club as i got them promoted first attempt it wasn't always plain sailing i think the highlight was the match against sampai corea as they were 5th just outside of the qualifications to the quarter final(which is two matches away from promotion) and i was 4th 2 points ahead of them they went one nil up and had the lead for most of the game and then in the last ten minutes we grabbed two great goals and won the game and solidified my position in the top 4( i eventually finished 1st in the group stage).

https://imageshack.com/i/p47vRIPgj my favourite player in the team

https://imageshack.com/i/eyjlH1aIj this is the group stage screenshot

https://imageshack.com/i/exMyFIXVj this is the league final screenshot

https://imageshack.com/i/pdWRinNhj this is the state championship final screenshot

https://imageshack.com/i/p1dOfQcij these are my transfers

btw if anyone can tell me how to put the club badge in the post it would be much apreciated.

How are you finding life in the MLS Razer? I have started very poorly, 4 games 4 losses. :eek:

It's been tough so far, can't lie about that. We're struggling to hold onto a lead. Not sure of my exact record off the top of my head, but we've got a couple of wins but have stupidly thrown away some games.

Our media prediction of 2nd isn't going to be easy to achieve.

I hate to say it but, I think I may have to offload one or both of my DPs - £9k of the salary cap on two players, could be spent on 4 or 5 squad players to help us overall. Even with putting what remained of my allocation funds into our wages, I've struggled to put a squad of 23 players together & at least 6 of them are DCs!

It's been tough so far, can't lie about that. We're struggling to hold onto a lead. Not sure of my exact record off the top of my head, but we've got a couple of wins but have stupidly thrown away some games.

Our media prediction of 2nd isn't going to be easy to achieve.

I hate to say it but, I think I may have to offload one or both of my DPs - £9k of the salary cap on two players, could be spent on 4 or 5 squad players to help us overall. Even with putting what remained of my allocation funds into our wages, I've struggled to put a squad of 23 players together & at least 6 of them are DCs!

I actually had to try to offload one of mine (Bengtson) has he couldn't settle in the area but to no luck, i did okay in the drafts but i really couldn't get used to the budgets... Least we are only predicted 17th and the board want us to remain competitive. I was a little unhappy with my squad but 23 sounds like it will be tough. I lost Kaka to injury after the first match as well, anyone would struggle with that loss.

Without jinxing myself, we seem to have started winning games. Got a bit of streak running at one point but then started to draw games again. Just have to keep my fingers crossed my couple of injuries don't get any worse as we're short on squad depth to cover.

Stil, we're doing well so far. Sitting 2nd in the conference behind - New York. The rivalry is already building.

First off the format for the Argentina has changed (30 teams in the top flight now) so the reset is 22nd December 2015 I've uploaded a save the day before the reset with only Argentina loaded and around 39k players if anyone wants it (click)

Cai_comodoro.png

I've gone for Comisión de Actividades Infantiles due to their facilities

Manager - Positions - Club - Overview = Facilities

Cai_comodoro.png

Comisión de Actividades Infantiles 2016

Table - Trivino - Brito

Managers Thoughts

I'll only be posting quick reports here as this is part of my career thread where I am doing quarterly reports.

Delighted to have managed promotion so soon though having the new league set up certainly helped due to 10 teams being moved in the Primera. We had a healthy youth intake with 9 players potentially being at least good Primera players but the standout is Llanquetru who will get plenty of chances over the course of the season.

ansr.png

Club Oriental de Football

After finally completing the challenge last year, of course my first save with the new FM would have to be with my beloved Oriental de La Paz. Hoping I can repeat last year's success and take them to continental and world glory again!

Here's my Profile and my Manager Information.

If you want to know a little bit more about Oriental, here's my post when I got started on FM14.

Good luck everyone!

So after my success of getting promoted from the serao c it was now life in the serao b which was obviously going to be alot more difficult as there were better teams and far more games to play over a year, We started off quite brightly being just outside of the top four for the first half of the season but of course this would not last and by the end of the season i finished 11th below the board expectations of respectable league position which i personally thought was a bit much considering they had just experienced straight promotions from serao D, as for cups and state championship i did well winning the cape verde and the state championship i got to the 3rd round of the brazilian version of the fa cup knocking out athletico paranese on the way which was pleasing.

295270_2014-11-17_00002_zps44547a1e.png

295270_2014-11-17_00004_zps2b99c36f.png

295270_2014-11-17_00003_zps5c1050ef.png

295270_2014-11-17_00001_zps2e2e371d.png

dpyr.png

Oriental de La Paz - 2015/16 (Season 1)

Competitions

Uruguayan Segunda Division: 1st

It's always been at least relatively easy to get promoted from the Segunda Division fairly quickly in Uruguay, mainly thanks to a playoff system that extended all the way down to 10th place (in a 15 team league). I had to quickly revise those expectations though when I discovered that in this season's version of FM, those playoffs only extend down to 6th place.

In the end though, it didn't really matter, as we went eleven games unbeaten to start the season and never looked back, cruising to the league title by 10 points and never looking in any danger of giving up first place after about week 6. We were also far and away the league's top scorers, which made up for a slightly leaky defence, scoring 86 goals over a 28 game season, an average of more than 3 per game. It'll definitely be interesting to see if this domination of the second tier is a fluke and we have a hard time in the top flight, or if it's a sign of things to come!

Squad and Transfers

Club Overview | First Team Squad | Transfers

Unsurprisingly, there was a lot of transfer activity as we brought in a huge amount of free transfers to bolster the squad. In the end, 15 players came in without spending a penny, and we also stayed well below our wage budget (though that wasn't enough to keep the club out of financial trouble).

Jose Luis Tancredi (AM RC/ST) - 28 apps (14 goals) - 7.70 average rating: Experienced attacking player Tancredi was at the heart of everything creative for us, driving forward from a right sided attacking spot to contribute 14 goals and 20 assists. He may be 33, but he's still a class act at this level.

Diego Valerio (D C) - 26 apps (5 goals) - 7.65 average rating: This young central defender was the rock at the heart of our defence, and at 22 years old, has a chance to be a big player for us going forward.

Gaston Fonseca (ST) - 28 apps (29 goals) - 7.45 average rating: Just take a look at that goalscoring record - what more is there to say? Having said that, I can't take too much credit as he was already at the club when I arrived!

History

Season     Division        Open   Close   Overall   Continental Competitions    Other Competitions        Notes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16    Segunda         N/A    N/A     1st       N/A                         N/A                       Promoted

dpyr.png

Oriental de La Paz - 2016/17 (Season 2)

Competitions

Uruguayan Primera Division - Overall: 3rd | Opening Stage: 2nd | Closing Stage: 5th

Well, I guess either I got a lot better at FM since FM 14 came out, or I'm having a lot easier of a time on the new version. Relegation was never even a consideration, as we were actually in with a shout of coming top of the overall league table until about three games from the end of the season. Having said that, it would have been perhaps a little undeserved if we had managed to get ourselves into the Champions Playoff that way (in Uruguay, the winners of the Opening and Closing Stages have a playoff, and then the winner of that match plays the winner of the overall league table). As it was, we were eventually outpaced by Penarol and Nacional, the big two teams in Uruguayan football.

Nevertheless, we proved ourselves a force to be reckoned with in our first season in the top flight, qualified for at least one continental competition (received the message that we qualified for the Copa Sudamericana - my reading of the rules is that we should have qualified for the Copa Libertadores too, but I haven't received official confirmation on that one yet), and with the right improvements, we could make ourselves real title contenders in a relatively short space of time.

Squad and Transfers

Club Overview | First Team Squad | Transfers | Finances

Once again not a penny spent in the transfer market thanks to the club's precarious financial position, but some good solid signings brought in to strengthen the squad for our Primera campaign. In the winter transfer window, we said goodbye to Bruno Sismondi, who had been at the club when I came in - he was playing well for us in central defence, but £75k was too much to pass up. Speaking of the club's finances, on the face of it we actually made a profit of £288k this season, which makes up for the £270k loss from last season. But when you consider that the board plowed £440k into the club just to keep us afloat, those numbers start to look a lot different. Added to that was the money we made from our "home" matches against Penarol and Nacional - both of which were moved to the away team's ground, which meant income from 55,000 tickets sold per game rather than 1,500. I'm willing to give up a home match or two for that amount of money. We are selling out our stadium for every single home game (average attendance is more than 98% of capacity) - so if only we could afford it, we could probably fill a bigger stadium which is a good sign for our long term future.

Jose Luis Tancredi (AM RC/ST) - 30 apps (11 goals) - 7.59 average rating: For the second year in a row, Tancredi was our best player from the right side of attack, contributing a fantastic 26 assists to go along with his 11 goals. Now the club captain, these consistently great performances earned him the Primera Division Player of the Year award at 34 years old.

Guillermo Chavasco (AM LC) - 30 apps (12 goals) - 7.53 average rating: Chavasco was another great performer in our free scoring attack (we were the division's top goalscorers by some distance), a fulcrum in that central attacking midfield position for a lot of our best attacks.

Martin Diaz (D LC) - 24 apps (5 goals) - 7.46 average rating: Probably the best of this season's new signings, Diaz is a physically strong, solid presence in the center of our defence, who made it into the Primera Division Team of the Year.

History

Season     Division        Open   Close   Overall   Continental Competitions    Other Competitions        Notes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16    Segunda         N/A    N/A     1st       N/A                         N/A                       Promoted
2016/17    Primera         2nd    5th     3rd       N/A                         N/A                       Qualified for Copa Sudamericana

• 2 months later...

dpyr.png

Oriental de La Paz - 2017/18 (Season 3)

Competitions

Uruguayan Primera Division - Overall: 2nd | Opening Stage: 2nd | Closing Stage: 1st

Kind of funny that I'm posting in reply to my own season review... three months after I posted! Never understood why the Americas weren't a more popular FM destination. Anyway! Finally had a chance to play some more and finished up my season.

Overall, a pretty great season, and even though we managed to pip Nacional to the Closing Stage title, we were seriously outclassed by Nacional in the Champions Playoff and over the course of the season, they easily deserved to win the league title. Nevertheless, we were also easily their closest opposition, as perennial challengers Penarol dropped off the pace in the second half of the season, leaving us a full seven points above them in second place and 13 points ahead of the next best team. We've established ourselves quicker than I'd expected in the top flight - the next hurdle is to close the gap with the very best.

Copa Sudamericana - 1st Round (def. by Corinthians)

This season saw our continental debut, as we entered the Copa Sudamericana in the 1st Preliminary Round. For a club of our size, there are no easy draws, but O'Higgins of Chile were at least a team I believed we could get a result against. And while it certainly wasn't an easy ride, a 2-1 win at home followed by a nailbiting 4-4 draw away were enough to see us through. In the 2nd Preliminary Round, we faced Ecuador's Deportivo Quito. Again, not an easy game, but it could have been much worse. This time we managed to grab a 3-2 win away from home in the first leg, but went down to a 3-2 defeat at home to send the tie to penalties, where we eventually prevailed 4-3. The 1st Round proper saw us paired against Brazilian giants Corinthians, and while we gave a good account of ourselves in both legs, we never looked like going through, losing 3-2 away and 1-0 at home to go out of the competition 4-2 on aggregate. Still, a decent first outing against continental competition.

Squad and Transfers

Club Overview | First Team Squad | Transfers | Finances

Transfer dealings definitely settled down and we still have an all time transfer spend of £0 - mainly because we don't have it to spare. But three of our four free transfer signings were expected to be first team regulars, with the fourth a strong contender from the bench. We also had a little money come in the door as we sold midfielder Bruno Pinatares to Santos Laguna for a club record £180k. Enough to keep the lights on. Speaking of finances, thanks mainly to that transfer, we broke pretty much even this season, leaving us with about £30k in the bank. We didn't need any cash injections from the board to keep us afloat though, so we were more self-sustaining. We also got the news that we'll be upgrading our stadium by 1,000 seats over the coming season (taking us to a vast 3,500), which hopefully helps us in the long run as well as allowing us to play in the slightly more spacious 5,600 capacity stadium of neighbours River Plate while the work is carried out.

Jose Luis Tancredi (AM RC/ST) - 27 (1) apps (13 goals) - 7.44 average rating: Somehow, he just keeps on producing from the right side of our attack, as the now 35 year old Tancredi had another season that put him in the running for the Primera Division player of the year award. On top of his 13 goals, he provided assists for another 16 as the key to our league leading attack.

Guillermo Chavasco (AM LC) - 32 (1) apps (12 goals) - 7.48 average rating: While Tancredi's longevity is incredible, it's nice to know that when he finally does hang up his boots, I'll still have Chavasco in our attack, pulling the strings from his central attacking midfield position.

Alejandro Gonzalez (M RC) - 29 apps (14 goals) - 7.41 average rating: After spending most of his career in the lower reaches of Uruguayan football, and after finding himself on the fringes last season following a strong debut year for us, Gonzalez finally produced form which, at 32, has given him one last shot at the big time. The dependable midfielder will be joining Ligue 1 side Stade Brestois on a free this summer. Best of luck to him.

History

2016/17    Primera         2nd    5th     3rd       N/A                         N/A                       Qualified for Copa Sudamericana
2017/18    Primera         2nd    1st     2nd       CS: 1st Rnd                 N/A                       Qualified for Copa Sudamericana

Archived