I'm really, really gonna try and hold off on FM15 until after the winter update.

I love the game and have over 1500 hours on FM14.

My main issue is the patching cycle between release and the final update which is usually February.

I dislike the idea of playing 'different versions' of the game, it's like my achievements under 1 Match Engine version are invalid when it is replaced and I feel the need to start a new save for each ME update.

The clamour on the forums for the next patch/update etc...... I might just skip all that.

The idea of loading up the final, pristine version of FM15 post the winter update and this being my only experience of the game, at its very best is very appealing to me.

Plenty of mileage still in FM14 for me.

Having said all that, we all know, the chances are......... i'm gonna cave in :p

I like this post. And yes his right. Why should we keep spending money every year regardless being expensive or cheap for a new version every year. Yes a new VERSION. There should be continuous updates and patches which do happen. Versions should occur every few years. FM has gone beyond that by bringing out a new version on a yearly basis. It would be nice if they focused on improving the game via patches/updates and introduce new versions every few years instead. It will also give them enough time to look at players wish list demands. This all comes down to how fast they can introduce new features to the game. The wish list currently posted in the forums is so huge I doubt they will get most things in for the 2015 version.

Again it all comes down to how fast they can correct and update the game. I'm not sure how you guys feel but do you think the game has changed big time to justify the money you pay yearly. To me it feels it does get updated but at a very small degree to say "wow this is new and awesome".

anyways just my thoughts.

To me personally, they could minimize the problem approaching it in a different way.

As far as I understand, the ME gets a major overhaul every couple of years (I may be wrong, but I think they put in a new ME in FM2008, and then they were constantly developing it until FM2012, and with FM2013 they started pretty much from scratch).

I get that, I understand that major changes are almost always painfull from the beginning, etc..

But here's what I don't understand.

Why limit yourself to three patches per game, and they all get released in the same time cycle (shortly after the release comes the first one, around december the second one, and after the winter transfer window comes the third one).

As far as I understand the situation, it's mostly about upgrading the ME, polishing it, after the basic version is released (in our current case, that happened with the release of FM2013). Why limit yourself to those three cycles?

If a certain version of the game (let's say FM2014) still needs some serious fixing after the 3rd patch, why just stop there, and leave it like it is? I mean, they're improving the same ME that they'll have in FM2015 from the 3rd patch of FM2014, right? So why not releasing a 4th, maybe even a 5th patch, with ONLY MATCH ENGINE IMPROVEMENTS, which will exist in FM2015 anyway, to keep the costumers as happy as possible? It should also be understood that if match engine is balanced, reasonable, and does not make every third casual gamer complain on the forums, that they should not worry that much about patching that version of the game, but rather focusing almost 100% on the next years version.

I would guess it's much easier to refine the ME without having the deadline of a patch hanging over their heads, as they are not restricted by possible knock on issues and crashes etc being released to the public. So they can properly test.

I agree with the post. FM becomes playable at most only after the last patch. but I buy the game just released. I still do not understand one thing. why some obvious bugs are not fixed but everything is postponed to the next version? it is not fair for those who have purchased a product to be forced to pay to have a clear programming error resolved. versions should be distinguished for the substance, not for the errors they contain.

I would guess it's much easier to refine the ME without having the deadline of a patch hanging over their heads, as they are not restricted by possible knock on issues and crashes etc being released to the public. So they can properly test.

But isn't exactly THIS the problem we are all dealing with within the current cycle? There's should be any limits and restrictions on how and when to patch.

Scenarios:

(March/April): Is this years version already on a good enough level? No? We still have some work to do...

(December): Is this years version already on a good enough level? Yes? Ok, we'll just release the data update after the winter transfer window, but aside from that, the focus is 100% on the next years version from now on.

I know, I know, I've got "but they can't drag on the developing of a certain version forever, they have to get to the point of 100% focusing on the next years version sooner rather than later." comments flying in my direction. And you're right. But that's not costumers problem, that's their problem. If you think I'm wrong, wait until you see the results of the shortcomings that FM2014 had in a couple of months, when FM2015 is released.

The post wasn't money related.

a £10 saving is neither here nor there when you get over 1500 hours of entertainment, its superb value however you look at it.

It was more about me having a finite amount of time to spend on each years version of FM, I would rather that time be spent on the product in its final, most polished form.

I like the yearly update and don't begrudge paying them every year, my 'ideal' scenario is that the ME upon release is polished to the extent that it doesn't need to be updated and that it's simply this years version of FM.

I appreciate that is not realistic but by changing my mindset to 'the next version of FM is not out until February', i kind of get my wish and only play one version of the game/ME each year.

So essentially i'm 'pushing back the yearly cycle to February' and choosing not to take part in the public Beta which takes place between October & February....... if that makes sense!

The post wasn't money related.

a £10 saving is neither here nor there when you get over 1500 hours of entertainment, its superb value however you look at it.

It was more about me having a finite amount of time to spend on each years version of FM, I would rather that time be spent on the product in its final, most polished form.

I like the yearly update and don't begrudge paying them every year, my 'ideal' scenario is that the ME upon release is polished to the extent that it doesn't need to be updated and that it's simply this years version of FM.

I appreciate that is not realistic but by changing my mindset to 'the next version of FM is not out until February', i kind of get my wish and only play one version of the game/ME each year.

So essentially i'm 'pushing back the yearly cycle to February' and choosing not to take part in the public Beta which takes place between October & February....... if that makes sense!

I have a february/march annual cycle for the new FM release. And it's never patched either! ;)

I know no matter how hard i try i wouldn't be able to hold off from buying it ASAP.

One thing i did do with this version compared to others is become very selective of what i read on this forum. If i see a title that hints at a 'bug' i wont read and in this version i haven't noticed half as many as i did in 12 or 13.

Does that mean there are fewer? Not at all. But by not knowing what problems are around my enjoyment is much higher. It is only once the final update has been published that i read the 'bug' threads and then i think back to times i remember stupid crosses, almost every penalty being scored etc etc etc.

The plan for FM15 is the same, buy early and be selective of what i read. Worked great this year.

One thing i did do with this version compared to others is become very selective of what i read on this forum. If i see a title that hints at a 'bug' i wont read and in this version i haven't noticed half as many as i did in 12 or 13.

This has to be one of the most intelligent things I have read on this forum...seriously...what he said.

Due to the feature secrecy I find it easier to resist. Normally I would follow the video's and blogs and discuss them with my friends, hyping each other up eventually. Despite FM playing time is getting less on a yearly basis, there would always be one or 2 new features that convinced me to pre-order.

This year the announcement showed only some box-art for a game that the majority buys digitally. I wished several times for more openness and I feel that SI is heading in the wrong direction for such a community-driven game.

The saddest part is that I will probably cave in anyway, because I'm a fanboy that grew up with this game

Archived