2D Match Engine

Hi

People tell me there is no difference between the 2D and 3D match engine it has no influence on the game itself! I am here to say that is rubbish, i watch games in the 3D engine and my players look lethargic they dont chase the ball, shots look weak, the shoot an amazing amount of shots from range and watch them miss and its just misery as you get beaten by glitches rather than by players. Now i am playing with Norwich City (Canaries all the way!) my first season in charge (i dont know why i restart my game all the time!) playing with a squad of what can be said are substandard players (i am on the 14.3.0 update that includes January transfers) got a tactic that previously hasnt worked (in 3D anyway!) but in 2D my players look like they got rockets up their bums running around, chasing the ball, testing the keeper and most importantly getting wins! Just watched as i came back from 0-1 down against Chelsea to win 4-2! I mean WTF! Something Si Games did something right perfect the 2D match engine and then they lost interest in it with a broken 3D engine so they havent mucked about with it and kept it perfect! I am here to spread the word switch to 2D and watch your team tear up the field and win games (unless your players really suck or you are playing some really broken ass tactic!)

:applause: Well done to Alexander Tetty, Johan Elmander and Gary Hooper, the heroes of Norwich! :applause:

Dont care! Put it 2D started winning! End Of! Not going back now! Just watched another Norwich victory this time annihalting Sunderland 7-1

It won't last and then you'll be back here complaining when things start going wrong.

Why people got to be so negative! 3D glitchy as hell and super random (see my Tim Krul own goal thread http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/394700-Tim-Krul-WTF) in 2D view things seem to work and make sense. I have lost some games and drawn some games so i have some down moments as well (losing 3-1 to Everton after going 1-0 up and drawing with Crystal Palace 2-2 after going 2-0 up) but none of the goals have seemed unfair or like they shouldnt of happened.

Dont care! Put it 2D started winning! End Of! Not going back now! Just watched another Norwich victory this time annihalting Sunderland 7-1

That might well be because in 2D, being able to see the full pitch, you're able to spot weaknesses and opportunities more easily.

I play in 2D Classic view now (easier on the middle-aged eyes as well ;) ) with replays of goals on close-cam view.

But, the ME is EXACTLY the same.

5V4Hblz.png

Match Tactics

5EztUZP.png

team tactics

Lwk3RO6.png

Premership Table 2013/2014

thought i would upload these so people can have a peek at what i am doing, either i have hit upon a real diamond of a tactic or I have hit upon a secret game mode i like to call crazy 2D witchcraft mode! Since my tactical descions have never been that brilliant i am still currently in the crazed 2D witchcraft mode. This tactic hasnt done anything for me since Champ Man 01/02, when i named it the Bringer of Destruction tactic. Seems like its back!

Why people got to be so negative! 3D glitchy as hell and super random (see my Tim Krul own goal thread http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/394700-Tim-Krul-WTF) in 2D view things seem to work and make sense. I have lost some games and drawn some games so i have some down moments as well (losing 3-1 to Everton after going 1-0 up and drawing with Crystal Palace 2-2 after going 2-0 up) but none of the goals have seemed unfair or like they shouldnt of happened.

Have you viewed the Tim Krul goal in 2D?

Does the 2D make it look better? worse? much the same?

At the end of the day the ME is the same as has already been said. Maybe the less detail on the 2D suits you better and leaves more to the imagination, maybe from that view you make better choices as Lord Rowell has commented on but the same mistakes are made & the same results are obtained

thought i would upload these so people can have a peek at what i am doing, either i have hit upon a real diamond of a tactic or I have hit upon a secret game mode i like to call crazy 2D witchcraft mode! Since my tactical descions have never been that brilliant i am still currently in the crazed 2D witchcraft mode. This tactic hasnt done anything for me since Champ Man 01/02, when i named it the Bringer of Destruction tactic. Seems like its back!

Its no wonder you are having issues with the ME tbh.

Thats a very poor tactic with several basic building errors. It works to some degree when the opposition leave space at the back and you score first but once the opposition start sitting back and playing on the break you are totally screwed.

I would seriously recommend visiting the tactics forum and reading the sticky threads at the top.

Arent gonna win them all, i have discovered if you play an attacking tactic you seem to win more matches! i used to play a 4-5-1 with a def mid, and i would spend the whole game perpetually defending and i would normally lose 1 or 2-0 and if i did win it would be because of a nicked goal and poof finishing on behalf of the opposition. This tactic speaks to me and says this team wants to go out and win games, yep sometimes i get my head kicked in (recently lost to Arsenal 5-0) but sometimes thats what happens, Norwich recently went down to the Championship because they played too negative! Maybe your right saying that my imagination is painting a better picture for me than the 3D view on the game. but watching the matches in 2D seems to make me a happier person and winning is all the better. If the tactic is as broken as you say then it must be witchcraft the reason that i am winning games!

i have discovered if you play an attacking tactic you seem to win more matches!

I play with three centrebacks, two halfbacks, and defensive wingers on counter. Wouldn't say that's particularly attacking and I'm doing alright - top of the league with 15 wins from 17 games.

This thread is an amazing example of both reductionist thinking as well as perception bias taking its toll, two constants with FM (i.e. I lose/win all matches because of me picking a specific team talk/tactics or because I opt to watch a match in 3d rather 2d). It is all likely to also result in a slight turnaround as soon as team morale takes a dip due to a bad spell and the not completely useless, but limited and very aggressive and risky plans are being found out for what they are. But we'll have to wait and see. :-)

This thread is an amazing example of both reductionist thinking as well as perception bias taking its toll, two constants with FM. It is all likely to also result in a complete turnaround as soon as team morale takes a dip due to a bad spell and the not completely useless, but limited and very aggressive plans are being found out for what they are. But we'll have to wait and see. :-)

Yeah we will wait and see, may have to put it a more reserved tactic for the second half of the season, just had a bad run lost to arsenal 5-0, lost to Man City 3-0 showing how a quality side can carve me up in an instant, but i just come out of it with a 2-1 win against Hull (went 1-0 down tho which is concerning). i do think team morale has something to do with it, my right back (steven whittaker) seems to play like a 9yr old when his morale is low but then a couple of good games can put it back to good and he is suddenly the best right back in the world. My team at the moment have generally high morale which seems to working in my favour.

On a side note i would like to say maybe my imagination is sugar coating things in 2D the players seem to move faster and the ball kinda pings around more which i like watching while in 3D it seems like the players run around with lead boots on and the ball moves like they are always kicking it into the wind. My match speed while in highlight mode is set to just above the middle in both viewpoints

I play with three centrebacks, two halfbacks, and defensive wingers on counter. Wouldn't say that's particularly attacking and I'm doing alright - top of the league with 15 wins from 17 games.

What are your strikers like? Norwich strikers seemingly cant operate on their own they need support, wingers for me seem to be more interested in shooting the ball themselves and getting all the glory rather than setting people up, although i suppose if your playing lone striker you should be looking for your wingers to be taking shots at goal.

Yeah we will wait and see, may have to put it a more reserved tactic for the second half of the season, just had a bad run lost to arsenal 5-0, lost to Man City 3-0 showing how a quality side can carve me up in an instant, but i just come out of it with a 2-1 win against Hull (went 1-0 down tho which is concerning). i do think team morale has something to do with it, my right back (steven whittaker) seems to play like a 9yr old when his morale is low but then a couple of good games can put it back to good and he is suddenly the best right back in the world. My team at the moment have generally high morale which seems to working in my favour.

Always a number of factors at play. I also had a save where I had to resort to grinding out results to improve mood and confidence first. As should and does, low morale makes mistakes more likely to happen, and as such very aggressive and risky tactics are more likely to be picked apart. As long as you know what you're encouraging up there and its limitations, more power to your experiments.

EDiw11X.jpg

(In attack it's frequently three forwards (7,9,10) being far ahead of play and nobody linking up to much, which means if you picked the "more direct passing" encouragement by realizing, this was a good choice. Still it's very rigid play and one of the core ideas appears to pile forwards into the opponent's box and booting the ball in their direction, which means hopefully they're good. In defense you don't have a single real holding player who always holds his position when going forward, which in terms of defending is arguably the most risky thing you employ. With three forwards and two wingback bombing forward, this was always going to be an aggressive tactics anyway. If this won't work that well anymore when confidence is low in particular, it is likely no coincidence. Assuming your reputation does improve and teams start putting men behind the ball, it could also prove more toothless regardless of morale. )

Two players who make this tactic work for me in my opinion are John Ruddy and Gary Hooper, Hooper is top scorer and Ruddy has pulled off some smashing saves to keep me ahead most games or at least keep me in the game! I think if I lose these two players in a transfer window I am gonna have to have a bit of a rethink

Archived