Players wanting improved contracts

Hello folks

I'm after some info and advice around players who complain that they want improved contracts.

I picked up a German left back at the start of the season. Paid 4.5 mil for him, making him my record signing. He is 19, currently considered a good prem left back with the potential to be a world class left back. His value is listed as 10.5 mil, though I reckon I could get double that for him.

I am 2/3 through the season (his first season). At the end of this season he will have 5 years still remaining on his contract. He has just started complaining that he wants an improved contract. He is currently on 16.5k pw and wants 45k pw.

Straight away I'm thinking he can sod off! Wanting an improved deal so soon after signing is ridiculous. I certainly don't want to sell him though, at least not yet. So what are the consequences of not giving him a new deal, then refusing a transfer request? Can he refuse to play? Or will he just play at a slightly lower level due to being unhappy?

Thanks for the advice people

Must admit, the options to tell them to sod off are appalling in that private chat scenario.

You're either an arsehole, or you give in... There's nothing to say "you're being a cheeky, greedy little git, now on your bike and play the football you agreed to play!"

Is he playing "first team regular" on the "back-up/rotation" contract? If he's a regular and producing well, I would expect him to request a salary close to what everyone else on the first team is receiving, regardless of his age. I've got players in the $10 million value range in the SPL who are pulling down $45K-$60K/week, but my weekly salary budget is $1.2 million/week. I keep them happy and my DOF renews their contracts every couple years so they're always on a 4-year extension. Easier to budget if they're not always whining about pay.

Must admit, the options to tell them to sod off are appalling in that private chat scenario.

You're either an arsehole, or you give in... There's nothing to say "you're being a cheeky, greedy little git, now on your bike and play the football you agreed to play!"

The option needed is "happy to discuss a new contract but not at the level you are asking for"

I never give in to any of them regardless of status. I have played FM long enough to know that the Messi/Suarez/Neymar etc etc etc in the game are not the "real" ones and can be easily replaced with as effective players usually a lot cheaper and younger too. Personally I love it when this happens as I always set up my 1st, U21 and U18 teams to play long term games therefore it gives me an opportunity to promote his replacement. So when a high value/waged player with a ready made replacement starts acting up I string him along until he asks for a transfer and then I can sell him without getting the fans on my back.

Archived