'Signing youngster for the first team' philosophy?

I've signed Alvaro Balanta, Òliver, Fierro, Dorìa, Hughes, Lucas Romero for my Liverpool side. They ALL featured in the last game (a premier league game), and the board are apparently very unhappy with the lack of youngsters I've signed for the first team?

Do their contracts have to be set for the first team?

It is the same story at Newcastle. I got the exact same messages. I didn't quite sign as many players as you did, but I certainly think it is something that could be looked at.

Maybe raise it in the bugs forum

• 2 years later...

How many young players do I have to sign to please the Board?

Does the quality of each player counts, or just quantity?

What's the max cutoff age for a player to be counted as "young" (U18 or U21)?

Thanks.

Now that's an old thread... anyway in my experience it's the quantity of players you sign AND keep in the first team. As for a cutoff age, I'm pretty sure it is 24 (that is from 25 on they count as "non-young"). I can't check it right now as I don't have the philosophy on my team, but IIRC you can give players up to the age of 24 the squad status "youngster" and "hot prospect", which suggests that these players still count as young.

Ha! I only realised it was an old thread when I read "didn't make it into 14.0.3".

It is still a valid question though and one that I had wondered about myself. Not had to deal with that philosophy in this year's version but I do remember being extremely annoyed in FM15 when 4 of the 5 players I signed were youngsters for the 1st team and the board weren't happy. Initially they were but when I signed a top quality, already established older player as the 5th of those 5 signings, they were unimpressed. There surely needs to be some balance.

After that I tried to avoid clubs who insist on young 1st teamers or at least try to take that philosophy out of the contract.

I've got this philosophy in the team I'm managing at the moment and I'm pretty sure you're ok to buy players who are 23 years old and younger. I think you might have to give them 'first team' status in their contract too, as I'm not sure if the board are impressed if they are squad rotation players.

Archived