FM 13: Royal Standard de Liège - Les Rouches

Dexter_Morgan

th_201px-Royal_Standard_de_Liegesvg_zps36bddac5.png

Welcome to the FM 13 Royal Standard de Liège Team Guide

History

Royal Standard de Liège, commonly referred to as Standard Liège is a Belgian football club from the city of Liège. They are one of the most successful clubs in Belgium, having won the Belgian league on 10 occasions, most recently in 2007–08 and 2008–09. They have also won 6 Belgian Cups, and in 1981–82 they reached the final of the European Cup Winners' Cup, which they lost 2–1 against Barcelona.

Standard players are nicknamed the "Rouches" because of their red jerseys

The club was founded in 1898, under the name of Standard FC, by students at the Saint-Servais High School in Liège. The inspiration for the name was Standard Athletic Club, a popular Parisian club at the time.

Standard FC became Standard FC Liégeois in 1899. But thanks to the great rivalry with local FC Liégeois, the word "football" disappeared from the club's official name, which became simply Standard Club Liégeois in 1910.

Standard entered its first official championship in 1902–03 with an away win (1–2) in Stade Wallon II (reserve team of Stade Wallon) in Verviers. Standard finished with 9 wins and 3 losses, and a record victory against Stade Wallon II 14–0. In 1903–1904, Standard finished runner-up in the regional league of Liège and became regional champion in 1905.

Until 1908–1909, Belgian Football had only one national league: the Division d'Honneur (Honour League). Beneath this were regional leagues (Antwerp, Brabant, Hainaut/Namur, Liège and Flanders), of whose champions competed in play offs at the end of the season to obtain promotion to the Honour League. In 1909, Standard Club Liégeois successfully gained promotion for the first time in its history to the highest level in Belgium.

Standard stayed in the highest league until 1914. The club's best finish in this period was its first attempt, finishing 5th in the "Honneur". In 1914, Standard finished bottom, tied with La Gantoise (Ghent). After a play off over two legs La Gantoise received the right to stay in the Honneur, while Standard were relegated.

Following a five year break during the First World War, in which the leagues in Belgium were not contested, Standard resumed playing, this time in the Promotion league, a second tier national league which had been created in 1909. In 1919/1920, the club finished runner-up behind FC Tilleur. But in 1921, the "Rouches" were champions in Promotion League and regained their top flight status, which they have maintained ever since. The 2012-2013 season will mark Standard's 82nd consecutive year in the top flight of Belgian football, far and away the longest unbroken run of any Belgian club and one of the longest of any club in the world.

In 1923, the club became Royal Standard Club Liégeois.

Although Standard enjoyed several good years in the post WW1 decades – with second place league finishes in 1925–1926, when the club finished runner up 7 points behind champions Beerschot; in 1928, finishing 11 points behind Beerschot again; and in 1936, ending just 3 points behind Daring CB – the club's supporters had to wait until 1954 for the first silverware.

Since the mid-2000s, R. Standard de Liège has enjoyed a new golden period. French businessman Robert Louis-Dreyfus helped the club avoid bankruptcy. The club's resurgence began in the 2005–2006 season, when it finished second in the Belgian League and earned a place in the Champions League qualifiers.

On April 20, 2008 they won their first Belgian League title in 25 years with 3 games left, claiming an unbeaten record of 31 games. Standard defeated their arch rivals R.S.C. Anderlecht in the decisive match, with 2 goals from Dieumerci Mbokani who had played for Anderlecht the previous season. The team was one of the youngest in the Belgian First Division.

Standard retained the title in the 2008–2009 season after two play-off matches against Anderlecht (1–1 and 1–0). It was the tenth national title for the Rouches. Since then they have failed to win another title though they did win the 2011 Belgian cup.

Honours

Belgian League

Champions (10): 1957–58, 1960–61, 1962–63, 1968–69, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1981–82, 1982–83, 2007–08, 2008–09

Belgian Cup

Champions (6): 1954, 1966, 1967, 1981, 1993, 2011

Belgian League Cup

Champions (1): 1975

Belgian Supercup

Champions (4) 1981, 1983, 2008, 2009

Club Overview

th_cluboverview_zpsf7f99eed.jpg

Facilities

th_facilities-1_zps716e9414.jpg

Stade Maurice Dufrasne

th_stadium-2_zps4a940082.jpg

Standard in FM13

Expectations

th_philosphy_zpscf87526e.jpg

Finances

th_finances-1_zps4062b818.jpg

th_budgets_zpsa5f5a97e.jpg

As you can see the bank balance looks good paper but the first season you will be repaying just under £9M of the loan off. With that in mind I would try and avoid any 48 month installments when making any signings, but things will be more manageable after that.

Team Report

Keepers

Sinan Bolat would be your number one but unfortunately he is injured until December, this leaves you with Anthony Moris and Eiji Kawashima. Kawashima is the better of the 2 and you should start him. Moris is a decent enough backup short term until Bolat is back but will never be a number 1.

Targets

Craig Gordon (free)

Alex Manniger (free)

Full backs

Daniel Opare. His potential seems to have been reduced dramatically this year but I would presonally have him as a starter for the first season.

Sébastien Pocognoli. First choice left back

Rami Gershon. Natural CB but is good cover for Pocognoli, as he's not a first choice CB either playing him here as well will ensure he gets a few games under his belt.

Laurent Ciman. As with Gershon a natural CB but not good enough to start there, in fact I think if you can get good money for him then i'd sell and look at bringing a new right back to the club to challenge Opare

Targets

Anthony Vanden Borre (free)

Romario (End of contract)

Gino Peruzzi (£2.5M +)

Denner (£1.1M)

Center Backs

Kanu. Injured until the end of September, will be a starter when he returns.

Jelle Van Damme. First choice by a distance

As mentioned Gherson and Ciman can also play here as can Yoni Buyens, Zaki Fryers is also another option and with any luck Victor Ramos won't sign for Victoria at the end of his loan so you should be stocked up well enough to see you through the first season so I don't see this as a priority at all to begin with.

Midfield - Center/DM

William Vainqueur. Should be your first choice, depending if you play 2 or 3 midfielders then Astrit Ajdarevic should play alongside him and use Yoni Buyens as your defencive midfielder. After that you are struggling a little. Maor Buzaglo can play there though I see him more as a wide player/attacking midfielder. I wouldn't even waste my time with Nacho González as he is made of glass so I would look to sell.

Targets

Matías Laba (£2M+)

Alfred Duncan (loan)

Raphael Holzhauser (loan)

Lorran (£1.7M)

Mattheus (£1.7M)

Felipe Anderson (loan)

Adryan (£880k)

Wingers/AMC

Frédéric Bulot. Potential to be one of the best players in the league and should make the left wing position his own, he is also orange in every midfield area/striker and down to left back so could be retrained if you find another use for him.

Maor Buzaglo. Again he can cover the entire midfield but AMC or right wing is where i'd use him.

Réginal Goreux. Natural RM but can play all down the right which is another reason you should look to sell one of Gherson and Ciman to bring in extra funds.

Luis Seijas. Good enough to play at this level and can also do a job in the center of midfield, again you probably have enough in this position to see you through the season.

Targets

Youssef Msakni (£1.3M)

Pavel Savitskiy (£500K - £1M)

Nicuşor Stanciu (£1m+)

Edgar Salli (loan)

Daniel Villalva (loan)

Strikers

Dudu Biton. Decent enough back up/reserve player but I wouldn't be looking to start him as you have better options available.

Marvin Ogunjimi. On loan from Mallorca and on paper is just about your best striker but you could look to save yourself £16k a week by sending him back.

Imoh Ezekiel. The first of your brightest talents. I have took him straight out of the u19 squad and promoted him to the first team. He has pace to burn and whilst he's nowhere near his full potential his pace could cause trouble to any defence.

Michy Batshuayi. The second talent at the club, good attributes already but his stamina needs a lot of working on. Having said that I would probably start him. Both him and Ezekiel have a few random stats which could affect how well they develop but i'd give them both time because they are potentially your strike force for the next 10-15 years.

Targets

Carlos Fierro

Ademílson (probably will cost the full £5M release clause)

Mauro Caballero (£600k+)

Erick Torres (£2m+)

Tactics

th_tactic_zpsb8241db4.jpg

Why should I play as Standard?

A team well known for developing talent in the past is the big draw, the facilities are up there with the very best so those of you who like to bring your own talent through should find the club appealing. Without a title in the past few years you also have the challenge of getting Standard back to the top of the Belgian ladder which is achievable in the first season but to maintain it will take a few years of hard work. Even harder will be the long term goal of conquering Europe, there is only really Bolat, Ezekiel and Batshuayi this year who could feature in any Champions league winning side so in terms of longitivity you should have a decent amount of years before you clean up.

The £9M in loans in the first season will also provide a challenge as you have to be careful with your signings but once the first season is over you should be able to spend a more reasonable amount of money.

The Belgian league is well noted for bringing good players through on FM, so the other clubs should still be producing good regens so should be able to carry on competing for the league against you.

LilSaint Ezekiel has played most games for me and he's superb :) His pace is brilliant and though he misses a fair few chances he still gets enough goals to deserve a place :)

Maestroik I went for all the Belgian leagues and then top flight in Italy, Germany, Holland, Spain, France, England, Serbia and Croatia, also got top division players in South America, Africa and Europe. My laptop can't handle as many leagues as previous years, so had to be a bit reserved but have a good balance I think. n

Not too far in as yet but i've found the 3-5-2 (ish) to work best as it allowed me to let a few players go and bring new in, i'll try and get a post with staff and my transfers in tomorrow.

he's incredibly fast, and even though he's pretty short he still scores quite a few goals with his head thanks to his jumping ability. He just came over from a french Ligue 2 side, so i imagine his name will get more known as of now :)

he's incredibly fast, and even though he's pretty short he still scores quite a few goals with his head thanks to his jumping ability. He just came over from a french Ligue 2 side, so i imagine his name will get more known as of now :)

I'd like to see how he develops in a few years in game. Wonder if he'll get a boost in the next update?

Hoping to give this a bit of a hammering now i'm done with work for the next week so will post some updates later

i'm in 2019 on my save, i'll post a screen of how he's developped when i get off work

sadly he went to a team in the german league that's been in & out of the top division (can't recall which one by heart) so i'm not sure he developped amazingly

batshuayi went to Marseille on my save, he's gotten pretty good

Well im playing with standard currently at year 20/21, so far i won 6 jupiler pro league, 6 times supercup, 1 champions league, 1 europa league.

Im playing with JPs simple 4-4-2 tactic and thisnthe best ive tried.

My first boughts back in 12/13 was zanetti cirstiano free and romario

Players that i still have from beginning: batshuayi, mpoku, pocognoli, bolat

Thanks LilSaint :thup: it's just the stamina that really seems to let them down a little.

Finally got a bit of form going on my save, pre season and the first few games were shocking and at 1 time had 8 players out which didn't help but hopefully I can push for a bit of a lead at the top before the playoffs start.

i'm thinking about starting a save with Standard myself. I've always played as standard in previous versions of FM, but their selling of players made me turn to Genk this year.

Sad to see Michy & Ezekiel didn't develop greatly in my current save. Could be because AI managed. Hopefully they'll turn out better under human management :)

yes that playoff system is a sure way to get some excitement in the closing stage of the competition (or frustration to see your lead get cut in half :D) how many seasons are you in?

Like I said it was a hard start, the injuries you already have make it hard, especially in goal because in both attempts i've wanted to kill Kawashima for some of the mistakes :D Just coming in to January now of the first season (real life and the fact I restarted means it's taken longer than usual) only signed Adryan in the summer and Romario is about to join. Kind of regretting not getting Vossen in the summer but with the finances being hammered by loans I thought it would have been too much of a luxury to shell £5.5M on him :D

Kawashima is really the weakest link imo. Just started a save with Standard today, played 4 games and already have been cursing him :)

i find Karim Aït Fana to be a good signing as a winger too btw, should cost just under 2m € (bargain really, in my previous save Arsenal bought him from me for 15M after 1 season, and still i was fuming, damned release clause)

he does & i must say his performances are always good from the start. I've signed wellington nem as well but he seems to be needing time to gel with the others.. whereas ait fana gets assists, goals, and average ratings of around 8 immediately (tried signing him in the standard save too, but they asked 12m :( )

in my genk save i snapped him up on a free transfer which both delighted & stunned me :D

meh going out, i used to work in a nightclub, i'm pretty much over that now too. Yay for FM :lol:

You'll be glad to know i've finally got the 1st season out of the way :D

league_zps9eb9941a.jpg

champ_zpsa2eedc23.jpg

cuprun-4_zps957c1ec1.jpg

Cup Final

Saijas

Stadium Expansion

Youth Prospects

Samba

Renault

Overall i'm pleased with how things went from January onwards, the return of Bolat and Ramos really helped everything tick over nicely. The main concern over the course of the season is the amount of injuries we kept getting, i've never had a season as bad for them on any FM.

I was a bit disappointed with Adryan, though he is still only 18 so i'll probably not see the best for another year or so. Romario has settled in so well on the other hand that i'll be letting Opare's contract run down. Imoh Ezekiel and Michy Batshuayi didn't set the world alight either but it was also the plan to give both games from the off and bear with it while they develop.

The new stadium is probably something I could have done without for now (though we had 20 sell outs) because the big loan payments were almost all out of the way I could have had a season of saving up a bit, that said the total amount that is going out will be about half of last season so with any luck the money from being in the CL will help us cover that.

I have got a few signings sorted already but will post them once the window is shut.

screen Cheers for that pic of Batshuayi, he looks a decent player there even though he's lacking in 1 or 2 things.

congrats on your season dexter_morgan !

I've found Adryan disappointing as well, but due to the thread in this forum on him, i decided to give him a go one last time. Think he needs some more time to develop (unfortunately i had the same problem with Ademilson, he just could not find the net at all)

that samba bloke seems like he could develop into a great player!

best of luck to you in europe next season

Cheers LilSaint, i'm giving Adryan this season in the first team again and hopefully he'll kick on, i'm hoping the fact I have more coaches now will help as there is quite a few players on the books (I should sack most tbh :D) I'm hoping Samba comes good along with Renault, neither are anywhere near the first team at this moment in time but if they are coming along well by January I may loan them out.

These 6 are my signings so far, i've let quite a few players go and these cost an outlay of about £6.5M

transfers-9_zpsed8ad9b3.jpg

Got 1 more planned and then that will probably be it for the time being as i've done this lot very early to give them as much time to gel as possible.

to my experience the first season is quite tight at the top, in fact my first couple of seasons all finished pretty close

after 4 or so seasons i've pretty much dominated the league & made it to the semi finals of the champions league. So you start slow, but you can still mount a challenge in Europe

proleague.jpg

Just a quick update. First off I forgot to save the game after the CL draw was made so I ended up with Barca, Benfica and Kyiv

clgroup-3_zpsf4b07842.jpg

Lost 4-1 at Barca and drew 1-1 at home to them (92nd minute equaliser after dominating most of the game against them) and lost 2-1 at Benfica. We have PSG in the first knockout which is far from the worst draw we could have hoped for.

In the league we're currently top, we drew and lost a few games in reasonably quick succession which has brought Anderlecht back in to it a little but the last few games of the normal season are reasonably straightforward. We are also in the semi final of the cup again.

The main news is probably 2 transfers I managed in January.

Defour_zps8e0976e6.jpg

(£4M)

Boyata_zps99239b5d.jpg

(£500K)

To get Defour back is an amazing one at this stage, we need leadership (the team seem to hate Van Damme) so he'll be my captain next season. He'll also be a great tutor for any youngsters. Boyata at that price was too good to turn down, especially with Ramos and Gherson wanting ludicrous amounts for a contract renewal, with the new signings doing well so far all I feel that needs fine tuning for now is the full backs but finding Belgians/homegrown as good as I have to keep the quota up is proving difficult.

Another double but this time we were able to rotate a bit and had a bit more luck with injuries, the front players were superb with Bulot probably standing out for his remarkable amount of goals and assists from the left wing. Batshuayi improved dramatically in terms of his goal return this year and i'm hoping for the same again this.

The champions league campaign was decent enough, when I seen the group I felt we had a chance as long as we got something from Benfica at home which we did. PSG were too strong in the knockout stage but we gave it a shot and with better luck/finishing in the first leg we could have had a lead but it wasn't meant to be.

Only one real stand out from this years youth intake

serchia_zpsbdfd40a9.jpg

I don't think he'll end up being much use as a CB but he could be Defour's long term replacement with any luck and he's progressing well already.

• 6 months later...

Archived