[FM13] - MLS with 20 Teams with all MLS rules intact !!!

Download Link - you must download and use both of the files:

comps.dbc - 28 games

MLS_20Teams_v0.5_niceman14.dbc

comps_38g.dbc - 38 games (after downloading, rename this file to comps.dbc). Requested by jckennedy1982

** Very important - be sure to backup the original comps.dbc file to a different location before copying this version of the comps.dbc file over. Or you can rename the original comps file "comps.dbcx"

** Very important 2 - after loading this file and saving a new game, it would be best to restore the comps.dbc file back to it's original state. Using this modified version of the comps.dbc file will most likely cause an error when trying to use other MLS/USA files as it will look for only 19 MLS teams instead of 20.

1) copy MLS_20Teams_v0.2.dbc to the \Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2013\editor data\ directory.

2) after backing up the original comps.dbc, copy comps.dbc file to \Football Manager 2013\data\ (overwriting the original)

3) Start a new game in FM13 and select the MLS_20Teams_v0.2.dbc file when staring a new game.

Please note this is my 1st attempt at adding the 20th team to MLS (New York Cosmos). I am still testing and consider this a beta-version as I will probably be updating this file. Currently NYC shows up in the Western Conference. My next goal will be to try to move them to the East and Houston to the West.

I needed to hardcoded a new schedule to handle the 20th teams. In this version, the MLS season is now 28 games instead of 34 games. Two games each against teams in same conference, 1 game against each team in the other conference. Next version will alter Home and Away for non-conference games each year (not in this version).

This is still in testing mode. Started season 2 with no problems so far. Superdraft worked with all 20 teams.

Updates:

v0.2 - Assigned Frontier Stadium to the New York Cosmos and added the Lat/Long for NY to the stadium. Noticed NYC didn't have a stadium. Without creating a new stadium, Frontier Stadium was the largest stadium in NY other than Red Bull Arena.

Updates:

v0.4 - Assigned Connecticut FC and NY Cosmos Academy as current affiliations for the NY Cosmos.

Updates:

v0.5_niceman14 - Thank you niceman14 for your help with this file and your contributions - I appreciate it greatly !! (see post #31 for details on this update)

Amazing work!

Thank you.

v0.2:

Quick update. Noticed NY Cosmos did not have an assigned stadium. Assigned Frontier Stadium to the New York Cosmos and added the NY Lat/Long to the stadium. In the default FM13 database, Frontier Stadium was the largest stadium in NY other than Red Bull Arena.

Another note. The rep for NYC was 1 by default. Gave them a rep of 5000. The next highest rep is 5150 - Portland and Vancouver. Also gave them a balance of 5m and a transfer budget of 50,000.

Do you think you'll be able to add even more teams to the MLS? Or is one only possible because it evens out the conferences?

Based on what I've found so far, I should be able to add any number of teams to the MLS. Althought not sure yet how this would affect the Superdraft - if there are limited slots in the draft or not - need to do some testing.

I added the 20th team (NY Cosmos) to balance out the conferences, as they will, in reality, be added to MLS in a few years.

would you add some Preseason Tournaments

I might need to fix the US Cup first. When testing, the NY Cosmos played in the US Cup in year 1 but not years 2 and 3. I need do some research on the US Cup, I'm not too familiar with how the teams are selected.

Would also really like to add Promotion/Relegation to MLS if at all possible. Played around some with that, no luck so far but haven't given up yet.

Aye, 2016 I believe the MLS are targeting for the New York franchise to join the league.

Yes, that's also what I've heard.

Just couldn't wait another 4 more years to have 20 MLS teams in FM. Also really dislike having unbalanced conferences.

I'm actually moving to New York City next summer for one year, I was hoping the Cosmos would join for the 2014 season so I could catch them. But I guess I'll have to go watch them in the NASL instead!

With this project, do you think you could use the in-game MLS rules with your 30 team MLS you have already released? Or if not is there potential for a 30 team MLS with the standard two conferences and all rules intact?

With this project, do you think you could use the in-game MLS rules with your 30 team MLS you have already released? Or if not is there potential for a 30 team MLS with the standard two conferences and all rules intact?

Not sure. I will definitely explore that possibily in the future. By the way I do have an small update to that file - cleaned up some stuff, small changes nothing major. Will upload the update to that file this weekend.

I'm guessing a 30 team MLS with the 2 standard conferences (rules intact) is do-able. But how would you envision the playoffs ? Still the top 5 teams each conference ?

Good stuff mate, was enjoying what you had already created with it so far.

And yeah I would assume 5 teams qualifying from each conference would still run smoothly? Maybe something like a 24 team MLS, would work better? Either way it's good that you think you can expand on the file further. I've always wanted to create quite a large fantasy MLS with the rules intact.

In your testing, can you check the roster rules -- are teams still limited to the salary cap, 3 designated players, etc, all that stuff? Same with the drafts, how are they working? Any funny crashes? This is exciting stuff and opens up a lot of possibilities!

Just started with this last night (adding the 20th team). I simmed about 5 or 6 seasons with no crashes. So far, just checked for the Superdraft which was still intact. Will check and do more testing this weekend. If the draft is in still in place, I'm thinking the other MLS rules are still there - will check on this.

I'll need to take baby steps with this project. I'm editing the comps file with a text editor. There are over 200,000 lines of code and it's not easy to work with. I didn't touch and of the MLS rules, just the code relating to the number of teams and needed to add in a new schedule.

Added this to Post 1:

** Very important 2 - after loading this file and saving a new game, it would be best to restore the comps.dbc file back to it's original state. Using this modified version of the comps.dbc file will most likely cause an error when trying to use other MLS/USA files as it will look for only 19 MLS teams instead of 20.

I can not this stress enough - please back up the comps.dbc file before using this modified comps.dbc file here. And after saving a new game with this file, please restore the comps.dbc back to it's original state. Not doing so may cause a crash when starting a new game with another file accessing USA/MLS with the original MLS rules.

Wow, great job.

If you can get them to East an US Open Cup WOrking , this will be great!

Can I go into editor and edit this file, change stadium etc.. after I download this?

I think the US Open Cup might be OK as is. In my 5 or 6 year test, NYC only missed the Cup in the 2nd season. I'm still not certain how the teams are selected, still need to research.

Still trying to get NYC in the East. There is another think I can try in the comps file. There is also a SWAP function in the Edt or Inc file I could also try, swapping NYC with Houston. I haven't used those files in several years will need to brush up on how to use them.

Yes, you can make any changes with the editor to the MLS_20Teams file and the changes should show in the game. You can change the stadiums, kits, reputation, finances, etc. It's just a regular .dbc/.xml file.

I think the US Open Cup might be OK as is. In my 5 or 6 year test, NYC only missed the Cup in the 2nd season. I'm still not certain how the teams are selected, still need to research.

Still trying to get NYC in the East. There is another think I can try in the comps file. There is also a SWAP function in the Edt or Inc file I could also try, swapping NYC with Houston. I haven't used those files in several years will need to brush up on how to use them.

Yes, you can make any changes with the editor to the MLS_20Teams file and the changes should show in the game. You can change the stadiums, kits, reputation, finances, etc. It's just a regular .dbc/.xml file.

We can always recreeate The Cup in the editor. I am playing with my own data base where I added Cosmos to the NASL and had to re-create cup because of same problem. It must be hard coded where it selects specific teams not teams from leagues for each round.

Downloaded and saw few things you may have already caught.

Cosmos set as Semi Pro

No Cosmos Academy link (even after you link, no regens are created)

Cosmos Training etc.. not set

Big issue you might have is getting the Academy to generate youth.

Good luck agian and look forward to following.

Downloaded and saw few things you may have already caught.

Cosmos set as Semi Pro

No Cosmos Academy link (even after you link, no regens are created)

Cosmos Training etc.. not set

Big issue you might have is getting the Academy to generate youth.

Good luck agian and look forward to following.

Thanks, I caught the Cosmos set as Semi Pro (fixed for next version) but not the others.

Looks like the Cosmos can draft in the Supplemental Draft (all allocations automatic). However, they only can get picks in Super Draft through trades (the do not automatically get picks).

Well that's not good. There's nothing I can alter in the comps.dbc to change that.

Tried running a test with 24 teams in the MLS. Everything loaded fine except the season schedule. I did add a schedule in for all 24 teams (34 games) just not reading it in the game.

Hello,

Magnificent work! I also created an update to make relive Cosmos. But I simply made an inversion with The Revs.

Do you want that I add the staff, the shirts and the link with Academy?

Furthermore, the stadium is Hofstra Stadium. He is present in the editor. If you want, I can add the construction of a new stadium in Brooklyn.

Given that I am going to realize these changes on your update, I indeed want to send them to you. Email?

Niceman14

Belgium

Hello,

Magnificent work! I also created an update to make relive Cosmos. But I simply made an inversion with The Revs.

Do you want that I add the staff, the shirts and the link with Academy?

Furthermore, the stadium is Hofstra Stadium. He is present in the editor. If you want, I can add the construction of a new stadium in Brooklyn.

Given that I am going to realize these changes on your update, I indeed want to send them to you. Email?

Niceman14

Belgium

That would be great !!! Thank you.

I just uploaded my latest MLS_20Teams file in post #1 (v0.4). Please feel free to make any changes you'd like. When it's ready, either email me the file or upload it somewhere where I can download it and I will add it in this thread as an update in post #1.

so does everything work ok with your file?

No. It appears NY Cosmos only pick(s) in the Superdraft are by trades. Haven't found a way to get them in the Eastern Conference yet. May have to leave this as is for now.

Here is my work: http://lpp1hy.1fichier.com

I completed the players (all free in the editor), committee, shirts, profile of supporters, stage Hofstra, future (fictitious) stadium, memberships (with the Santos, Long Island, Connecticut, New York Fc, Cosmos Academy), the rival clubs...

Say to me if it suits you... I just adapted my update to yours.

Thank you for helping me out with this - I really appreciate it !!! Looks really good. I have uploaded your file in post #1 of this thread. Will be using that from here on out.

Going to watch the MLS Cup now, even though my Sounders didn't make it again this year.

have you got cosmos in eastern yet

No luck yet.

I tried removing the Team order in the comps (<list id="teams"/>) and removed the team IDs -> didn't work. Also tried adding in a sort by Longitude_desc -> didn't work.

However I did stumble across something very interesting while playing around with Prom/Releg that leads me to believe the 19 MLS teams are most likely hard-coded in the .exe game file.

I added the American Second Division in the comps file and also in the MLS_20Teams file. During my test at the end of season 1, Tampa Bay was promoted and Chicago demoted. At the start of season 2, Tampa Bay was promoted to MLS with a season schedule (in the West) - OK except in the West, but Chicago was listed in both the American Second Division (with season schedule) and also in the MLS (East) with a season schedule - playing both in the MLS and in the American Second Division with a full season schedule for both leagues. The New York Cosmos were gone from MLS with only friendlies for season 2.

This leads me to believe the teams are hard-coded in the game, otherwise the Prom/Releg would have worked out just fine for season 2. If Chicago weren't hard-coded to play in the MLS, they wouldn't have also been playing in the MLS for season 2 with a season 2 MLS schedule and instead, NY Cosmos would have remained in the MLS for season 2 - since a team had to be bumped to make room for Tampa Bay.

This is 1 more test I'm going to try later on. I'm going to try replicating all 19 MLS teams and put the replicated teams in MLS and move out the original 19 teams out and see what happens. If I lose the Draft and MLS rules or not. If this doesn't work, I don't know what else to try and will probably end my work here with just having NY Cosmos playing the MLS West with no prom/releg. Disappointing yes, but if the teams are indeed hard-coded in the game and Conference, as I'm now suspecting, nothing can be done to change that. Sorry for raising hopes up.

There is 1 more test I'm going to try later on. I'm going to try replicating all 19 MLS teams and put the replicated teams in MLS and move out the original 19 teams out and see what happens. If I lose the Draft and MLS rules or not....

UPDATE: Kept crashing on game date Oct 29th with this test. Will try later on today to just replicate Houston (to swap with the Cosmos) and see if the game still crashes. If it does still crash, will try replicating KC (to swap) instead of Houston.

UPDATE: Kept crashing on game date Oct 29th with this test. Will try later on today to just replicate Houston (to swap with the Cosmos) and see if the game still crashes. If it does still crash, will try replicating KC (to swap) instead of Houston.

UPDATE: Still getting a crash dump, but this time it's not a specific date. Made it through to 2013 - replicated Houston was not part of the Superdraft (but was in the West with NYC in the East). Crash also occured when replicating KC instead of Houston. I think this is where my testing will now end for now, I don't know what else to try.

Here is file with MLS, and other League (acting academy Cosmos with newgen, kitspack and logo)

http://cosmosny.blogspot.com/

Thanks.

In the blog video (vs Ft Lauderdale Strikers), the font for the player names in the game are larger and readable. Where can I find the file to make the player names readable during the matches ?

Also, I'm not able to download from the files from the website in the blog. I tried creating an account, but still unable to. Could you please upload the files to another website ?

• 1 month later...
Can I ask how your getting along with this, is it possible to get the full 38 games regular season, this would be excellent.

I haven't done any more work with this recently, haven't had the time. It is possible to have a full 38 game regular season schedule, any number of games is possible. You would need to edit the comps file.

Also how did you create this? I'd love to be able to create a 24 team MLS......

Tried this, but again the problem is the additional teams would not get draft picks unless they traded for them with the other original 19 MLS teams.

I haven't done any more work with this recently, haven't had the time. It is possible to have a full 38 game regular season schedule, any number of games is possible. You would need to edit the comps file.

How do you go about this?

Tried this, but again the problem is the additional teams would not get draft picks unless they traded for them with the other original 19 MLS teams.

thats ok, the drafts dont tend to be of good quality, its the other stuff like wage cap, dp and int rules that interest me. thanks

How do you go about this?

**I will upload a file with a 38 game schedule, hopefully this weekend. Will be in Post #1

Be sure to backup the comps.dbc file before making any changes.

With the FM13 Editor, save the comps.dbc uncompressed (comps.xml). With a text edit (such as notepad, I use EditPad Pro), make changes to the comps.xml file: find the code for USA - update the schedule to 38 games and change the number of games where the number of games is specified. Open the comps.xml you changed with the FM13 Editor and save the file compressed as comps.dbc. Copy the comps.dbc file back to where it belongs in the FM13 game folder.

jckennedy1982,

I finished the new file - 38 regular season games instead of 28. Testing looks OK so far.

I uploaded comps_38g.dbc (see Post #1 for download link). After downloading, rename this file to comps.dbc and place in the \Football Manager 2013\data\ folder. ** Please be sure to backup the original comps.dbc file first **

Archived