FM13: Barnsley FC - Celebrating 125 Years!

lewis999

Welcome to the Barnsley FC thread for Football Manager 2013.

barnsley76-42941_478x359.jpg

Celebrating 125 Years

Club History

Barnsley FC was established in 1887 by a clergyman, Tiverton Preedy, and played in the Sheffield and District League from 1890 and then in the Midland League from 1895. They joined the Football League in 1898 and struggled in Division Two for the first 10 years due in part to ongoing financial difficulties. In 1910 the club reached the FA Cup final, where they lost out to Newcastle in a replay match. However, they would then reach the 1912 Cup final where they would defeat West Brom 1–0 in a replay to win the trophy for the first and only time in their history.

Over the past decade Barnsley have experienced a number of highs and lows as a football club. At the end of the 1996/1997 season Barnsley reached the top tier for the first time in their history. However, they were relegated the following season despite their efforts.

Barnsley had the distinction of playing in the last play-off final at Wembley before the stadium was closed for redevelopment,[4] and in 2006 won in a play-off final at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, where they beat Swansea City 4–3 on penalties (2–2 after extra-time) to earn promotion to the Championship.

2007/2008 Giantkillings

Two fantastic victories against two good Premiership sides.

[video=youtube;6o5RBc4W8A0]

[video=youtube;9n5RHWxmgnM]

Get to know the squad!

BarnsleyGK_zps85454c4f.png

BarnsleyDEF_zps7c874731.png

BarnsleyMID_zps5d679afd.png

BarnsleyATT_zps570249e6.png

Other Mentions

John Stones, a RB/CB who is interesting Chelsea in real life is rated by my assistant manager as 4.5* and could become a good Premier League Defender

Paul Digby, a CM is also rated as 4.5* by the club and could also become a good Premier League Midfielder.

Club Information

ClubInfo_zps5f7143f3.png

Kits

Kits_zpsf536ad08.png

Nice to have someone in here besides just me. Finished the first season last night, came first and then continued until I got set my initial budgets. The board have given me 7.5m to survive in the Premiership when my current squad will get demolished in that league, for any new starters it might be worth staying in the Championship for a season or just outside the play-offs.

Will be carrying on with the game when it comes out properly, hopefully the ME get's improved again.

i have started with barnsley, what formation did you use in the first season? as i'm struggluing using a 4411

Thanks

I used a load of different ones, it was mostly 4-4-1-1, but I used 4-4-2 at one point, 4-2-3-1(3 CAM's) and also 4-4-2 with 2 DM's and not CM's.

It was more to do with how the other team set up so I could nullify their strengths and try to get things out of each game individually.

I also left the team focus on team cohesion/teamwork all year, and defensive positioning every single game a day before each game.

You finished top with Barnsley? :eek:

Like I said above Mike, I didn't just use a formation and a style and hope they gelled to my tactic/philosophy, I took each game on it's merit and tried to counter different things that different teams had. Signings were hard to find too, as Barnsley's wage budget isn't too good.

I am currently playing a Barnsley save. Just entered January sitting nicely in 10th spot.

Got rid of Chris Dagnall, Lee Collins and sent my youngsters out on loan.

Never signed anybody until January, two players from Barcelona B. Sergi Gomez and Illie a CB and DM/CM.

Got 900k in the coffers after cancelling Mido's contract by mutual termination after he spat his dummy out because i wouldn't play him due to him being unfit. He was on 12k a week!

Managed to upgrade my youth facilities and managed to get Liverpool as my feeder club. They are sending me a keeper on loan, so hoping to get rid of Steele as Alnwick is better (on the game).

I am using 4-4-1-1 short passing style, low tempo. Standard philosophy, rigid, and i always encourage short passing and work ball into box via touchline shouts. Drawing a lot lately.

Also might i add i am using Ball playing central defenders. Martin Cranie is a beast.

Hoping to bring in a Left back and a Striker, Davies unfit and Harewood isn't getting any younger.

Just started on the full game with Barnsley, still in pre season, i am playing with transfer budgets off until january (like the realism), the squad looks well balanced with plenty of options, first thing i did was make hassell and foster capt and vice capt as they both have excellent leadership stats and experience.

Sent Stones and Collins out on loan for the season to get 1st team football to aid their development, would like to know how fellow barnsley managers are using Mellis?, Assistant says his best position is Deep lying playmaker, but with his workrate and stamina and ability to get forward he looks better as a Box to Box, with the amount of wingers in the squad ive set up 3 formations to use... 4231 control (with 2 wingers and 1 amc), 424 attacking and a rigid 451 counter (3 Central mids and 2 wingers), be interesting to see how the current squad performs until the Jan window.

I used Mellis in the first season as a deep lying playmaker. Using him as a advanced playmaker in the 2nd season and i am currently second. Signed some gems. I recommend getting rid of Mido, upset him and offer mutual termination. His wages make a huge difference and you can adjust budgets to get some cash to spend. Scout Spain and pick up players from Barca reserves and Real Madrid reserves.

Most of the players end up leaving at the end of the season due to them being on 1 year contracts. I only renewed Cywka's contract. Free's up a lot of wages and lets you build a goodsquad. Try and bring in a new keeper and sell both Steele and Alnwick as they are average. I signed Owain Fon Williams from Tranmere for £0.

Started my Barnsley save again on the full release and currently sitting top after 18 games. Just beat Wolves 4-0 at home and Wednesday 4-0 the match before that so happy is an understatement. I'll upload pics if anyone is interested, i'm also about 25k under my wage budget so hopefully in January I can go and give our title push another nudge in the right direction with some strong player's.

Started my Barnsley save again on the full release and currently sitting top after 18 games. Just beat Wolves 4-0 at home and Wednesday 4-0 the match before that so happy is an understatement. I'll upload pics if anyone is interested, i'm also about 25k under my wage budget so hopefully in January I can go and give our title push another nudge in the right direction with some strong player's.

Pics would be good. Interested to see your squad, what tactics you use, training etc...

Basically just make sure you get Carlos Fierro on loan for the season straight away, he has just scored 4 in a 4-0 win over Millwall and he now has 30 goals in 30 games.

Here's the current league table.

EA97C04078E4BB5F11614ECBBE2D4BBDCBEC263E

Transfer wise there has been a lot of activity.

437255938865B4E7E093037F8C862C48C9E3FC3B

I play a 4-4-1-1 formation but with Matty Done in AML and my right winger in MR.

In regards to cups, we're in the Carling cup Semi-final against United so i'm hoping they play a weakened team due to our low rep and in the 3rd round of the FA Cup against Blackburn.

Some of my best results are a 2-0 win against Leeds at Elland Road, 2 home wins against Sheff Wed 4-2 and 4-0 (Carling cup and the league respectively) and a 4-3 win against Huddersfield so 100% in all the derbies which is good to see.

Any questions or anything else just ask.

I hope you kept Mido, what a hero he is.

I did thinking he would come back from injury, get fit and wait patiently to get in the first team. He started moaning a few weeks after recovering from his injury though and he wasn't even fit so i told him to **** off and terminated his contract.

Basically just make sure you get Carlos Fierro on loan for the season straight away, he has just scored 4 in a 4-0 win over Millwall and he now has 30 goals in 30 games.

Here's the current league table.

EA97C04078E4BB5F11614ECBBE2D4BBDCBEC263E

Transfer wise there has been a lot of activity.

437255938865B4E7E093037F8C862C48C9E3FC3B

I play a 4-4-1-1 formation but with Matty Done in AML and my right winger in MR.

In regards to cups, we're in the Carling cup Semi-final against United so i'm hoping they play a weakened team due to our low rep and in the 3rd round of the FA Cup against Blackburn.

Some of my best results are a 2-0 win against Leeds at Elland Road, 2 home wins against Sheff Wed 4-2 and 4-0 (Carling cup and the league respectively) and a 4-3 win against Huddersfield so 100% in all the derbies which is good to see.

Any questions or anything else just ask.

Wow thankyou!

I am still playing my save from the beta version, is there much difference with the updates?

The match engine is a lot, lot better, actually feels like it's making a difference when I make a calculated change, instead of the other shambles.

Lost 3-0 to Man Utd in the first leg when they had their full 11 out so not too bad, hoping they go easy on me in the second leg so I can maybe sneak a few goals.

Anyone out there took on the challenge that is Barnsley in arguably, the most competitive league in football? If so come in and let us know your story, wouldn't want to seem like i'm talking to myself if I do updates on my own :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all, Barnsley being my hometown Club and been a fan all my life. thought it was about time I start a game as them. any updated tips?
My laptop is in for repair at the minute Acko but I managed to get the saved game out before it went in so when it comes back I'll be playing on, what sort of tips? Transfers, tactics?

Bit of everything really, never really been able to get into a Barnsley save which is odd seems as Im a fan. Ive played Fm/Champ for what seems like forever but last few versions struggled to get into a game. On 13 I've only managed one season with Tottenham thus far, winning Europa League and FA Cup. On 12 I got Blackpool to Prem and then spent two seasons Mid Table before 13 came out.

Staff wise did you get anyone in? I've never liked playing 1 up front but seems only kind of tactics that work, Im comfy with training but Signings that would make a difference would b good. I always seem to sign players based on RL

football I watch, not who I maybe should be signing

Bit of everything really, never really been able to get into a Barnsley save which is odd seems as Im a fan. Ive played Fm/Champ for what seems like forever but last few versions struggled to get into a game. On 13 I've only managed one season with Tottenham thus far, winning Europa League and FA Cup. On 12 I got Blackpool to Prem and then spent two seasons Mid Table before 13 came out.

Staff wise did you get anyone in? I've never liked playing 1 up front but seems only kind of tactics that work, Im comfy with training but Signings that would make a difference would b good. I always seem to sign players based on RL

football I watch, not who I maybe should be signing

A few posts up is all my transfer activity up until January, but i'll post another screen up with it all from the first season.

I'll post a picture of staff up too although I don't think they have much impact in the first season in my opinion.

3E9EA52EB1250F63C82F557155BCAC7FF6A9825F

STAFF :

E05214A293BA6C98C07E1A7CEEB6BF57EA1DCBEA

Tactics wise looking back at the games I mostly used a 4-4-1-1 with an AML (Matty Done) and an MR (Jacob Mellis) I re-trained him. I used standard for most matches but changed that a lot during games as to how the game was going if I thought I could win it/hold on etc.

Anything else just ask.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I lost my save as my laptop decided to cut out on me again so now I have a brand new one and I am waiting for the new patch before I start again. Should be even more of a challenge now as we have lost John Stones to Everton for 3m (More transfer budget?) and a few others so getting to the Premiership first time will be very difficult.

Will update the thread with new targets, tactics etc when the new patch comes. Hope people are having a go as Barnsley.

• 4 weeks later...

As the new update is out and Barnsley have been going strong in real life (the form team in the Championship) I thought I should start with them and make it my career game. In pre-season at the minute so still negotiating with staff and loans etc.

Not many people have commented in here so there's a good chance i'll be talking to myself but I will still be posting updates every January and end of season, except if people want to see the first pre-season then just ask.

Just started the season and I followed a 5-0 hammering of Crewe in the capital one cup first round with a brilliant 3-1 win against local rivals Leeds. Could and should of been 4-5 in the first half. Great platform to start the season with.

I know talking to yourself is the first sign of madness but ahh well. Currently top of the league by 5 points after 14 games. Playing with 3 at the back is seeming to be brilliant both with and without the ball. Carlos Fierro and Jason Scotland are making a brilliant partnership as are Jacob Mellis and Rory Delap in the centre of midfield.

Delap is extremely useful with his bullet throws. Not pretty I know but very effective if set up right.

Again if anyone is looking for a challenge in the Championship, swing by Barnsley.

• 3 months later...

After many months of different saves, time off and my computer in for repair i've decided to do one last adventure down at Oakwell. Partly to give me enough time to accomplish what I want to before FM14 hits the shop windows and partly inspired by David Flitcroft himself (Barnsley manager if people didn't know).

He's been an absolute revelation since he picked up Keith Hill's battered and bruised squad in January after they were languishing in the relegation zone and it looked like this year might finally be the year where the pundits are right (usually just Peter Beagrie) who for some reason seems to have a dark hatred for Barnsley. I might be being a bit strong there but ahh well.

Since he took over, in 25 games in all competitions he has won 12, drawn 7 and lost 6 with a win percentage of 48% which is brilliant when you take into consideration, Barnsley's relative size to 95% of other teams in the Championship, the league itself is known to be one of the most competitive and him working on the smallest budget in that league. Obviously i'm biased but one of those losses was to a great Man City side in the FA Cup where he could do nothing than watch Silva and co run rings around a tired Bobby Hassell.

Basically his form as manager from the turn of the year was play-off form which is really encouraging, especially with him now having the luxury of his own pre-season and being allowed to make his own signings that go with his own philosophy.

Anyway enough with Flicker (I'm not his mate I know ;))

To my game and I was sat here thinking about how I can make it really hard for myself to succeed because I always love to be challenged or to take on challenges that I can make for myself.

I thought about not signing anyone and literally just relying on players from my academy and then thought that not only would be unbelievably challenging it would end with me just plodding along until March and my youth intake and then getting royally pissed off when I had no-one rated better than 2 stars and eventually losing interest.

I also thought about only signing English players because i'm in the English league and then I thought well what if I come across a young Croatian gem and see Luka Modric in him and then have to say to myself, "I'd love to get him but he's not English so i'm going to keep persevering with my current 32 year old 'English' centre midfielder." Not only is that bad managing and stupidly illogical it's also not me on a personal level as I like to try and get my squad as young as possible as i've always admired players who play beyond their years, the main one being Cesc at Arsenal who played like a 34 year old who had won everything.

So what I did decide upon was that i'd tick attribute masking and sign whoever I want. Now I know that's not massively groundbreaking and some people might say (they won't because no-one reads my poor little Barnsley updates :() "woah, wait a second, I always have that ticked you idiot" That would be a fair comment, if not a bit harsh but I was thinking about how I go about things usually and I always go through each team in a respective country on their youth intake date and sign the ones that look the best, sort of on a hunch I have.

Now the attribute masking idea came into my head for two reasons,

1) Looking back at what I did was making my chances of being successful faster, a lot higher than what they were. I'm always an advocate for maximising chances in any walk of life but when it's unrealistic it starts to feel, to me anyway like i'm not cheating my way through but loop-holing (if that's even a word).

2) Even if I wanted to go into my old ways because it's natural and second nature to me I now can't because their attributes are masked.

Point two now leads me into having to think of a way to combat this. So I set about bringing in two types of scouts to my Barnsley backroom. One that has extensive knowledge of surrounding European countries (I can only scout in Europe atm) and two, scouts that are British but have a high adaptability rating so they can go to the edges of Europe and gain knowledge in that country quicker.

This is what I came up with :

2013-07-13_000012_zpsbf40ec5a.jpg

My Chief Scout David Hamilton only has 9 for adaptability, that's because his job is my second opinion as he has the highest stat in judging player potential. He will be my confirmation to make a bid for the player in question.

As you can see I have 6 scouts. The board have allocated me with 7 spots but as of yet I can't find anyone suitable with either a high enough adaptability stat or someone with knowledge that I haven't currently got that can add to the team.

Basically i've babbled on and like I said above, most probably no-one will come in here because Barnsley aren't a massively well known club and what not but even so I will keep on with updates because I like to write about my game. I also get to look back on and know what I was thinking at that specific point in a previous update.

I'll post screens of my signings and my tactics at some point, if not to show people just so I can reflect on what I used and who I bought/loaned when I get a few seasons in.

I won't post about pre-season as I use a lot of Cleon's methods in that respect now I have read his brilliant thread which can be found here :

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/348337-Approaching-Pre-Season-My-take-On-It

I'll see you all later for now as I have a BBQ to get ready for but my next piece will also be about my backroom staff and the direction I have gone with them which will hopefully have a positive influence on how I go forward.

If you've got this far, go and have a cold drink on me.

• 2 months later...

FM14 should be interesting. With me having a season ticket this year I can see that's it's gonna be a long season for Barnsley in the real world so hopefully I can overcome my ****** Saturday afternoon moods after we get beat (again) by having some success on FM.

Hope they include Jack Butland's loan because i'm gonna need him.

Yes mate I'll be doing another thread when I get time. I'll be starting it tonight after we beat Boro :D

They didn't include Butland which has wound me up because I need him. Still not sure what formation to play. We struggle for full backs except Kennedy and Wiseman and everyone's stat's seem to be the same which is disappointing.

But then if I play 3 CB's we also struggle for wide midfielders (MR,ML) and defensive wingers with hardly any budget to play with even though we sold John Stones for 3m and we now have a debt.

Does anyone know who the Barnsley researcher is? Because some of the stats and information on the players' is poor.

For example Reuben NL is as left footed as you are going to get and he's down as right footed.

Another one is Tomasz Cywka who is down as left footed. Which you can see below.

[video=youtube;HhairI4FWdM]

[video=youtube;U0t1GJuRoPY]

It's just laziness. Surely it would only take a few weeks at the absolute maximum to get Barnsley how they should be.

Archived