Ultimate style - a 4-5-1 possession tactic

Hello everybody

Intro

As some of you know I'm always looking to create that sort of tactic that lets a team really shine. To me, beautiful football is based upon a few simple principles: short passing, high possession, high tempo, movement without the ball, agressive pressing. Now it is tricky to have all that at once. A high tempo is generally considered to go together with long passes, not short ones for example. And to keep possession playing slowly really helps. In this tactic I managed to maintain possession allthough playing fast and it's a good mix of all the principles I consider beautiful football consisting of. It's free-flowing, varied, and based on passing the ball around quickly rather than on individual skill and dribblings. It's all about movement as a team really. So off the ball, positioning, teamwork, and anticipation are some attributes to generally keep an eye when searching for suited players.

The tactic

The shape is a deep and wide 4-5-1:

shapef.png

Player requirements:

Gk: a sweeper keeper. If you can afford it, look out for good distribution.

DC: Your playing a high d-line which means at least one of the defenders should be quick. Other than that it's a stopper - cover combo. Play the quick defender as DCr (cover), the brave beast as DCl. Your playing the offside trap too, so both of 'em should be able to deal with that. Déde would be suited as your DCr.

FBs: it's something I've never seen on FM so far and that I'm quite proud of: The inside fullbacks. Rather than staying wide, they cut inside in the final third, overloading the opponents defence. In real life, Marcelo Bielsa used to employ them whilst coaching Chile. Downside: your fullbacks will do a lot of running. Good stamina required. The good thing: they should be netting some goals as well. Look out for offensive fullbacks (the wingback-type of player). E.g. Vidal, Lichtsteiner, Lahm.

DCr: he's your anchor man. Still, you want to play beautiful football, so it doesn't hurt if he knows how to pass a ball. If the opponents are fielding a single AMC you can set your DCr to man mark him

DCl: a deep-lying playmaker. I'm using Wilshere here.

AMc: a trequartista with an attacking duty. Still I instructed him to help out closing down high up the pitch. Think RvP, Özil, Messi...

Wingers: They are inside forwards. Willian would be a good option here.

Striker: a poacher. It's absolutely crucial that he is a very fast striker. Walcott is superb. Doumbia or Hulk should do the trick as well.

How I set it up

In the team preparation I generally focus on teamwork. Home games I tend to start on control, away games on standard eventhough this depends on the opponents too. When defending a lead you might want to switch to counter. I rarely use shouts at all ("retain possession" sometimes when protecting a lead).

A video of the playing style:

View My Video

Results

And finally, how is it going for me? I won the league twice in a row and reached the Champions League final in the second season. Where I lost to Ajax (grrrr).

mancitye.png

Walcott scoring 6 (!) in a league game, getting a rating of 10.0:

boltonv.png

Some more results are following in the next post.

And here's the download link:

4-5-1 possession mediafire

4-5-1 possession sendspace

Please feel free to comment and post your experience with this tactic. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do

That's true. On the other hand 105 scored goals is quite a lot too. Here's another table from another save (albeit with Arsenal too). Average goals conceded per game is 0.76 here, which isn't too bad:

firstseason.png

why is Manu winner ??????????????

Thanks for the feedback clarinet. I just set up corners as I usually do, as I felt that everybody can change it easily to their own likings. In my save it gives me a fairly realistic share of goals though. If you prefer you can set it to near post. Gonna check out some corner setting threads now :)

Thanks for the feedback clarinet. I just set up corners as I usually do, as I felt that everybody can change it easily to their own likings. In my save it gives me a fairly realistic share of goals though. If you prefer you can set it to near post. Gonna check out some corner setting threads now :)

I see...do not dominate corner set but i can try diferent one...if you see any good thread with the 1st corner set let me know pls...

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

@papamogl: Solid looking tactic mate, just wondering how the Stopper/Cover defence works with the offside trap though?

Seems a bit contradictory as surely the covering centre-back would play the opposition onside too often - perhaps this is one of the reasons behind the defensive leak?

Either way good work, cheers for the tactic!

• 4 weeks later...

Gave this tactic a try with my arsenal team and it produces some very VERY good football. I tweaked it slightly by moving the two dm's to centre midfield positions and changing the DLP mentallity 2 notches up to make him slightly more offensive, changed hold up the ball to and through balls to often. So far 29 games in W23 D5 L2 and scored 70 something goals and conceded 16. Needless to say im top of the league by 10 points.

Well done Papamogl this is the second tactic of yours i have tried (the first on FM11 or maybe even FM10) and both have produced really good football

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the thumbs-up jman89. Glad it works for you and that you like the style. Will look into your tweaks, sounds like they could add to the tactic

another minor tweak i made was putting both the CMs as DLP (S) and DLP (D) with the latters RFD set to rarely but still roaming around. This Way i always have a man a little bit deeper to deal with counters and also when playing a good opposition who use a AMC i need to man mark.

I introduced this half way through my opening game in 2nd season as Liverpool as I was losing and not retaining possession. I lost that game regardless however I am delighted with the progress since I've started to play with this, I managed to sign Theo prior to seeing your tactic and snapped up Damiao last season, so my attacking options are pretty good at the moment and I also managed to make the Sahin deal permanent too which is a big plus. I think once all is gelled I will be challenging, some delightful football to watch.

What is your strategy for when your team goes down to 10 men? remove AMC?

• 1 year later...

Archived