FM 12: Sporting Clube de Portugal (The Lions)

fyrefuze

SCPlogo3-1.jpg

allbadges.jpg

Sporting Clube de Portugal

Sporting Clube de Portugal also known as Sporting CP or Sporting Lisbon (outside Portugal) is one of the "Três Grandes" (English: The Big Three) football clubs in Portugal, with SL Benfica and FC Porto being the other two clubs, Sporting's two biggest rivals. They are often nicknamed Leões (English: The Lions) by its fans.

In July 1906, inspired by members of Lisbon's aristocracy, such as José Holtreman Roquette (known as José Alvalade), the club was founded with the stated ambition: "We want this to be a great club, as great as the greatest in Europe".

Sporting won the first Portuguese title in 1922/23 and their pedigree was established in the 1940s and 1950s (The Golden Years) when they won ten league titles and 13 Portuguese Cups. The forward line of Fernando Peyroteo, José Travassos, Jesus Correia, Manuel Vasques and Albano Pereirawere collective known as the 'The Five Violins', and in later years Sporting have specialized in producing wingers like Paulo Futre, Luís Figo, Ricardo Quaresma, Simão, Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani.

SportingHistoryOverview.png

18 Titles in the name of Sporting

Sporting Clube de Portugal can hold its head up high as one of the clubs with the most national titles. During the long and successful life of the club, Sporting has won no fewer than 18 league titles, excluding the 4 titles won during the old Portuguese Championship.

Sporting has lifted the Portuguese Cup no fewer than 15 times, with the most recent being in the 2007/08 season. The club has also conquered the Cândido de Oliveria Super Cup 7 times.

European Glory

The conquering of the Cup Winners Cup in the 1963/64, in a game against MTK Budapest, is the jewel in the crown of the international resume of Sporting, as the club became the only Portuguese club to win the competition that ended 1999.

Facilities

Alvalade.jpg

Sporting boasts a new stadium, Estádio José Alvalade Século XXI, built for the UEFA Euro 2004 championship. The stadium was classified by UEFA as a five-star stadium, enabling it to host finals of major UEFA events. This stadium, originally projected to hold only 40,000 spectators at any given time, has a capacity of 50,076.

Add to it Sporting boasts of top training facilities and excellent youth development facilities.

The Kit (2011-12)

scpkit1112.png

The Lions

sportingsquad.jpg

SportingTeamReport.png

On the first look the squad looks average but it has huge potential and is good enough to compete for the title. European glory might have to wait though.

The obvious key players are Marat Izmailov, Matias Fernandez, Diego Capel, Rui Patricio and Alberto Rodriguez. With Diego Rubio, Elias and Wolfswinkel not to far behind, given a good playing time they could become a real gem.

Sporting's youth squad boasts of a real good talent with the likes of Tiago Ilori, Atila Turan, Esgaio, Pedro Mendes, Bruma and Figueiredo.

Note: wait for the Transfers section before you start placing any players on transfer list.

1. Goal Keepers:

SCPGKs.jpg

You have the best Portuguese keeper in Rui Patricio, he'll do a commendable job between the sticks. Tiago is an able backup though old he still has enough to cover for Rui. I would recommend let him see off his contract and then bring an able backup next year. Marcelo was bought this year, probably with an eye on future and he has a long way to go.

2. Defenders:

SCPDef.jpg

In Pereira, you have another Portuguese international guarding your right flank and he is the best player in defense. Pereirinha is a suitable backup but he is more attack minded. Santiago Arias is the upcoming youth product and should be loaned out again to gain more playing time.

In the center you have Polga (Club Captian) and Rodriguez both are good but cannot be played in stopper-cover combination and with Polga's advancing year you might want to replace him with able young blood. Don't go looking so fast, Carrico is young and can be the star for future. Thencomesthe American Giant, Onyewu, very strong in air and tackling but is not consistent. Ilori and Mendes are for future and make sure you give them decent first team opportunities.

Insua and Evaldo are on the left but play a very different role. Insua, the ex-Liverpool man is your own version of Roberto Carlos and does much more offensively than in defense. He is a bit downgraded in FM though and might get a boost in stats after this season's heroics.

That said Defense is one of the weak departments of the club and would require immediate quality reinforcements.

3. Mid Fielders:

SCPMF.jpg

Diego Capel and Izmailov will create havoc on each wing, while Jeffren can provide cover on each flank. You can play Pereirinha practically anywhere on the right flank but he can offer you good option as WM. Santos and Rinaudo can break the opposing attack and shield the defense. Santos being good in air can also be re-trained as Stopper CB. Matias, Elias and Schaars are the creative heads and can orchestrate your play. I would use Matias as Advanced Playmaker and Elias as Box-to-Box Midfielder. You have enough quality here but some extra bodies can help against fatigue.

Attack:

SCPForwards.jpg

Bojinov, the ex-Man City forward is the best now but Wolfswinkel and Rubio are not far behind. Though physically strong, Bojinov is inconsitent and slow for even a poacher role. It would rather rely on Wolfswinkel and Rubio to lead my attack. And that would also help them reach their potential. Carrillo is fast but severely lacks other qualities, I would use him as a super-sub in the dieing minutes of a game to run past the tired defense and create opportunities.

SportingTactics2.pngSportingTactics1.png

The two formations suits the players at club and with a meager transfer kitty available you should rather concentrate on bringing in players to better or cover these positions in case of injuries.

The Club Chairman and other Board members will give you a warmest of welcome and will promise to back you in every decision.

If you have missed on the club ambition, I would go to the first post again and have a look. That will give you a nice idea of club ambitions.

All that and the Board will back you with a bumper transfer budget of 4M and 425K wage budget. Now that makes a challenge worth recalling Figo. (sarcasm)

Seasonexpectations.png

Staff:

Normally is hard to get one Assistant Manager, the Club will back you with two. And the moment you'll see their stats you'll thank the Board again. (sarcasm again):D. Now, you must be thinking "so what?.. I'll get rid of them and heir my own staff."

"After all, The board said they'll back me if I intend to bring my own staff."

Try that and the club will give you another surprise as they'll block any mutual termination that you intend to do... short on funds. Though not visible but the club is struggling financially and thus you get your challenge no. 2: Improve the financial condition of the club.

SportingStaff.png

Your assistants are not completely useless, Joao Carlos is a decent Fitness Coach and Miguel Cardoso a defense coach. Also you can dig into your youth coaches and sign Nelson (as GK coach) and Carlos Bruno (as Fitness Coach). Aurelio Pereira is one of the best scouts and I would suggest keeping hold of him for a long time, renegotiate a new long contract. You are still short on coaching/scouting positions and can hire few good staff of your own.

Transfers:

Before you plan out any transfers, here is your challenge no. 3, You can have Maximum 30 over-19 players and you need to keep minimum 8 Portuguese players. Now go back and have a look at the Home grown players in your squad. Aren't these the ones whom you initially wanted to get rid off?

PORTeamRegistrationrules.png

said so you can still bring in 2-3 quality players to bolster your squad. I would suggest getting them on loan though.

Targets:

Defense: Kara, Dzmitry Verkhovtsov, Anderson Martins, Aleksandar Dragovic

Fullback: Ivan Bandalovski, Renzetti, Obradovic

MidField: Adriano Santos, Mate Simao, Adam Vass, Drahun, Bressan, Markus Henriksen, Celso Borges, Maniche, Verratti, Neri Cardozo, Gonzalo Castro, Leandro (Gremio)

Attack: Federico Santander, Stracqualursi

More ever you can break your targets and get a few on loan signings:

Sanogo, Frimpong and Giovani dos Santos are the must haveas their contracts are short expiring and if you're lucky you can get them on bosman.

Torje, Gaston Ramirez, Belluschi, Romeu, McEachran, Kasami, Lukaku and Sturridge are also worth considering.

I believe Valeri Bojinov is on loan at Leece now if you are using the latest database.

Anyway, I had a go at it a few months ago. Capel and Izmailov are really good. Would recommend Izmailov as adv playmaker(att) instead.

I believe Valeri Bojinov is on loan at Leece now if you are using the latest database.

I wanted to start this thread on original database (pre-winter update). Don't like the idea of starting a game in June 2011 with squad as of February 2012.

After a lot of scouting and deliberation I have added following players to my squad. Had to sell Anderson Polga and loan out Andre Martins to balance the 30 member squad list.

SportingTransferssummer11.png

Polga, a long serving club faithful had to leave without any ceremonious exit, and I am to sad for him. (whisper) but he was getting old. :p

To boost club finances I organized a lot of Friendlies at home. Pre-season went well, had some mixed results but it gave me a enough matches to fine tune my tactics.

Sportingpreseason2011.png

Pereirinha has been the surprise performer and is now challenging Izmailov for the starting position.

Excellent post!

Thanks mate.

LuisFigostart.png

Had an awesome start to the season. Undefeated and going strong so far. Rubio is topping the PL scoring charts banging more than a goal per game. He is Wolfswinkel and Sanogo out.

SportingQ1results.png

Injuries:

Bojinov and Jeffren started off well, mostly used in Europa League matches but are quickly out with injuries for long spells. Using Wolfswinkel as a lone forward is not working atm and he is struggling badly.

Q1Injurytable.png

Board is happy with the start and they have made a gracious transfer amount available.

smallincrease.png

PPLDec11standings.png

The amazing undefeated run continues. Note the longest clean sheet and we never failed to score. Credit goes to Rubio, Capel, Fernandez, Xulu and Carrico, they have been very consistent top class performers.

PPLDec11stats.png

SportingQ2Results.png

I could not resist the temptation to sign Fernando (mere 1.7m) not only a quality player for cheap, but this is our revenge for luring João Moutinho from us. Sold Onyewu for 4.7m the money I thought is good, though I still have to pay a part of his wages.

January Transfer window is upon us and I was eagerly looking for some funds. The Board initially rejected all my requests but handed me a huge surprise on Jan 1, 2012 as they bumped my wage budget to massive 750k a week. I love adding some bosman txrs.

jan2011.png

Out:

Onyewu (4.7m)

Bressan (3.5m)

Luis Aguiar (4.5m)

Marcelo Boeck (Loan, 120k)

Andre Carrillo (Loan, 250k)

Fabian Rinaudo (Loan, 275k)

Daniel Carrico (Loan, 500k)

In:

Fernando (1.7m)

Miguel Veloso (6.5m)

Kiko Femenia (3.2m)

Arne Friedrich (Free)

Future Transfers:

I have raided Italy and got a few good bosman txrs as well.

jan12futuretxrs.png

Sad to miss out on Bertolacci

• 2 weeks later...

For most of my first season I used the 4-2-3-1 async (Rigid+attacking+default passing), Rubio as targetman.

This tactic won me a treble in my very first season.

Trained for Defence mostly post Sept. and changed to counter-attack in some of my tight EU games... was lucky though not meet any EU giants other than Shaktar whom we beat 8-1 (agg.) :D

Archived