Pending Tactical Changes Which Screw Me Over...

Has anyone else noticed that, when you make tactical changes and return to the match screen, the opposition frequently score in the time it takes to implement these changes? For instance, when there's no evident danger, i'll make a sub and wait for it to happen on the pitch. Before any change happens, the opposition go straight up the other end and score. And then the change takes place.

I've noticed this a lot more on previous versions than on FM12. But it makes me wonder - if i wasn't about to make a substitution or tactical change, would they really have scored?

Statistical probability - the reason you want to make a change is because you can feel a goal coming, there's always a chance your feeling is correct ;)

You making a substitution has no affect on the game until the current highlight is over (as that highlight was generated before you made the sub/tactical changes and hit submit).

Statistical probability - the reason you want to make a change is because you can feel a goal coming, there's always a chance your feeling is correct ;)

You making a substitution has no affect on the game until the current highlight is over (as that highlight was generated before you made the sub/tactical changes and hit submit).

Sometimes I'm not so sure, even when the clock is ticking along with no highlight being shown and when my team doesn't seem to be under much pressure do they then go on and score at the other end whilst the change is waiting to be made.

Is there a possibility that the impending change might make an effect on the following highlight before it's actually taken place? Again I've noticed that after I've made a change and am waiting for it to happen, a highlight crops up almost instantly which results in them scoring.

When you make a change, the tactics button greys out. The changes don't become active until that button becomes available again, so any highlight generated before that happens will not have your changes.

The game needs to at least allow you to cancel or alter that sub, it happens all the time in real life when subs warming up are told to stand down and someone else comes on instead after a goal or game-changing event. FFS, I've had moments where I'm waiting for my 3rd sub to come on when a different player got a slight knock or injury -- obviously I want to change the substitution to take that player out!

I've seen this quite a bit....since then I know wait until I am dominating the possession in the last 5mins, pause the game and make the change. This has dramatically reduced the amount of times I have conceded. If a player gets injured and has to come off then you can change the substitute but I agree you should be allowed to cancel the change, I'm sure you could in a previous version.

Oh sure, it can be integrated that way, so that it takes time for the instructions to actually filter through, for players to change their behaviour, and for subs to get on the field. I am talking purely the user experience of wrestling with the options and enduring obtrusive pauses. The actual physical sensations of using the match engine are pretty terrible from a UI standpoint. Imagine just selecting the list of shouts and clicking the ones you want and seeing them fade in or out as they are heard on the pitch and adopted by the team, without the game ever freezing in a way that feels artificial, gamelike, and irritating.

Archived