[FM12] Southampton and a Return to Glory

DazRTaylor

Southampton and a Return to Glory

Southampton_FC_Logo.png

Nation: England

Year Founded: 1885

Nickname: The Saints

Chairman Status: Loves the club.

Legends: Matthew Le Tissier, Lawrie McMenemy, Mick Channon, Ted Bates, Markus Liebherr

Icons: Gordon Strachan, Kevin Keegan, Ron Davis, Bobby Stokes, Terry Paine, Martin Chivers, Alan Ball, Derek Reeves, Charlie Wayman, Bill Rawlings, Ted Drake, Ernest Arnfield

Fierce Rivals: Portsmouth

Other Rivals: Bournemouth, Brighton

Finances: Secure

Media Prediction: 7th

Squad Personality: Professional

Captain: Dean Hammond

After playing 12 seasons with Truro City on my LLM game, I wanted to play at a more successful club who starts at a higher level, though not the top division. Although I am not a Southampton fan IRL, in FM2011, I had a terrific game with Southampton so would like to play as The Saints once more.

Goals for This Game

1) Obtain Premier League football inside 2 seasons.

2) Obtain European football inside 5 seasons.

3) Obtain Champions League football inside 7 seasons.

4) Win the Champions League AND Premier League inside 10 seasons.

5) Win the World Cup with England.

6) Build a legacy with a team built around home grown youngsters.

The last goal is a very long term one - plenty of transfer activity will be required early doors.

Finances

I start with a transfer budget of £5m and a wage budget of £275,000 per week. I am currently spending £265,055. I could of gone a lot higher but I predicted a safe mid table finish. I doubt I can raise a title challenge first up so I dont want any extra pressure on me.

Squad

The squad I start off with:

southamptonteamreportsq.jpg

As you can see, it is a well balanced squad with good depth.

Tactics

The main tactic I will use:

southamptontacticsoverv.jpg

This will enable me to take full advantage of Adam Lallana, our best player.

At the time of writing, I am halfway through season two so will update with how the first season went in due course. As an aside, this is the first time ever I have published my games in such detail, with screenshots etc. So any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Season 2011-2012 - Championship

Final Table

Results 1

Results 2

Best Result

Worst Result Gutting - this broke a 34 game unbeaten run. 34 game! A new personal best for any form of FM/CM by a mile and I have been playing this game series since 1992.

Most Embarrassing Result Lost in the 1st round, despite playing my first team.

So overall, a cracking season despite the disappointment of the cups. I lost to Burnley in the 4th round of the FA Cup.

Final word on the youth intake. I asked the board - and they accepted - to increase spending on Junior Coaching. When my youth intake came in around March time, the pick of the bunch was this little beauty:

garethcoyneoverviewprof.jpg

Now it gets serious though. The Premier League.

Well that was easy. Good start. :thup:

Season 2012-2013 Premier League

Final Table

Results 1

Results 2

Best Result

Worst Result

Most Embarrassing Result

A lot tougher season but still very satisfying to finish in 10th place, especially as it was predicted I would finish 19th. A cracking time up to Christmas, I was in 5th place at the end of December. A very hard 4 months followed, including a run of only 1 win in 11 league games saw me plummet to 10th, where I stayed. What is it with me and the cups though? Humiliation in the Carling Cup, losing at home to Port Vale, 3 leagues lower than me! Then the FA Cup saw elimination in the 3rd round, to Wolves again at home. Shocking.

Another good set of young players came to me in March with this chap being the best of the bunch. The coaches described him as "One of the best players of his generation". I'll take that! I also splashed out on 5 young German players, aged between 15-17 who my scouts found and had the potential to be leading Premier League players.

kanesambrookoverviewpro.jpg

I would like a top 8 finish this year and please, some sort of cup run? Please?

Archived