FM12 - Fernando Llorente goals and assists galore

AcidBurn

1298298411N7btnk.jpg

Llorente In Real Life

Though born in Pamplona, Navarre, Llorente grew up in the municipality of Rincón de Soto in La Rioja. He joined Athletic de Bilbao's youth system in 1996, at the age of 11, being eligible through his Navarrese roots. He spent several seasons in the various junior levels of the club, moving in 2003 to CD Baskonia of Tercera División, effectively an Athletic youth team, and also a feeder club since 1997.

Llorente scored 12 goals in 33 appearances for Baskonia, paving way for his promotion to Bilbao Athletic, Athletic's reserve team, then in Segunda División B.

After featuring in 16 games and scoring four goals for the Bilbao Athletic in the first half of season, Llorente was awarded with a contract extension until June 2008. On January 16, 2005, he made his first-team - and La Liga - debut in a 1–1 home draw against RCD Espanyol. Three days later, in a Copa del Rey match with UD Lanzarote, he scored a hat-trick in a 6–0 victory, and would go on to feature in all but five of the 19 remaining league games while scoring three goals, and also featuring in four domestic cup matches and the UEFA Cup round-of-32 game against FK Austria Wien

Before the 2005–06 season, Llorente's squad number was promoted from number 32 to 9. He scored in the opening day, a Basque derby 3–0 win against Real Sociedad. Throughout the season, Llorente found goals hard to come by, which could be partly attributed to a series of injuries including a knee strain, gastroenteritis, and a muscle injury. He ended the season with just four goals, two in the league and as much in the Cup, against CE L'Hospitalet.

On 13 July 2006, Llorente signed a new contract with Athletic until June 2011, which included a buy-out clause of between €30 and 50 million. He started the season as arguably the club's fourth-choice striker, behind Aritz Aduriz, Joseba Etxeberria and veteran Ismael Urzaiz. Athletic's poor form and lack of goals led to then-coach Félix Sarriugarte into rotating the players, allowing Llorente to force his way back into the side. Llorente ended the season with only two goals in 23 matches, although he did score an important goal in the closing minutes of a 1–1 away draw with Valencia CF.

In preparation for the 2007–08 season, Llorente scored six goals in as many pre-season games, and another against CD Numancia in the Caja Duero Trophy. His form led to him becoming Athletic's first-choice forward, and although he started the season poorly, he ended it with a total of 11 league goals for a side that finished in mid-table. His tally included four goals in two games against Valencia, both impressive wins, and further strikes against FC Barcelona, Villarreal CF and Atlético de Madrid.

Prior to 2008–09, Llorente was confident of a successful season. "I know that I am capable of scoring goals and having a good year and I want to start this term in the same form that I ended the last one in" he said. Despite Athletic's modest start to the season, he netted 14 league goals - a career-best - with another four in the Cup, helping his team reach the final against Barcelona (1–4 loss).

In the 2009–10 season, Llorente again netted in double figures; additionally, he led all scorers in the Europa League for a lengthy period, with eight goals. He added 14 in the league as Athletic finished in eighth position.

On 28 August 2010, Llorente scored the first goal of 2010–11, in a 1–0 win at Hércules CF. His form continued in the next ten league fixtures, as he found the net seven times, eventually finishing the season with 18 goals (19 overall), as Athletic qualified to the Europa League.

Fernando Llorente In FM

llorente.jpg

Starting Club - Obviously Athletic

Player Value - £15.25 million

Player Age - 26 years old at start of Spanish season

Sale Value - £30 million although he has a release clause of £31.5 million

Wage Demands - Reasonably good wage of between 50k and 70k a week for a top class player

First Season Performance

llorente1st.jpg

Second Season Performance

llorente2nd.jpg

I signed the big man for Malaga and he did not disappoint in his debut season he assisted nearly as many as he scored and despite not having the best passing attribute he can pick out a player quite easily. In his second season he was even more deadly inside the box scoring with his head and his feet whilst still keeping his ability to assist.

[video=youtube;ykafP-Zbir0]

A great example of his ability to spot the through ball is this match, just ignore the blindingly terrible GK errors. The through balls for Tevez's first and second goal are truly brilliant and passes a midfield maestro would be proud of. He also gets on the score sheet with a great headed goal.

[video=youtube;kHdqvvs4odc]

Llorente destroys AC Milan in the San Siro with a great hat trick proving his ability to score with his feet or his head.

Tactical Advice

llorenteinstruct.jpg

I use classic tactics rather than the tactics creator. Some obvious settings for Llorente are for him to hold up the ball and the not too obvious is to set him to play through balls often. To allow him to try more passes I have set his creative freedom to a bit more than I would normally set it to for a player with similar creative attributes. Short passing enables him to find the creative wingers and strike partner around him and having him run with ball mixed allows him to not panic and pick out the right passing option rather than rushing the attack.

llorentetac.jpg

I do not believe in setting a target man but I do play him like one. I set the right winger and right full back to cross the ball to the far post and the left sided players to cross to the near post. This results in several chances for Llorente to either score or set up an opponent.

Why Sign Llorente?

Well if my screen shots are not enough to go by then I am not sure what else I can do. The things I like about him are his ability to create and to score I have had many idiot strikers who shot from stupid angles and never cross for their team mates. Llorente seems to know when to pass and when to score. For a top team I cannot recommend him enough, he does lack some pace but if you put a speedy finisher with him then they will benefit greatly. As will quick creative wingers who he can hold the ball up for play an attacking CM behind him and it is a great display of attacking football.

4-4-freaking-2. :D

How much did you get him for?

Never been able to get a 4-4-2 to work so when I did I thought that name was suitable. He cost me £30 million and is worth everypenny. Just started the third season and he has 16 goals in 9 matches he is incredible.

Managed Bilbao in the demo. He already had 20 goals for the season by December. Absolute goal machine. I'm sure that he will join a bigger club IRL -

I cannot see him leaving unless Barcelona or Real Madrid make a serious bid for him.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been deadly inside the 18 yard box this season for me. Would have been even more goal I think if I had managed to progress past Champions League quarters, and if he hadn't gone through a 8 game barron spell in the middle of the season. 54 goals in 55(1)apperances; 44 in 38 in La Liga.

6901092650_26167197fa_b.jpg

@acidburn that is quality idea for tactics for him, so did you tick him as your target man in your tactics and if so how do you supply him to feet or head?

I don't use him as a target man I do use his faster strike partner as a targetman with run onto ball. Despite not having the best passing attribute that's how he ended up with so many assists for me.

Archived