[WIP] Lincolnshire and Humberside 2012

nine_iron

ANNOUNCEMENT

Released, please post in the release thread to report bugs and comments

Release thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/288525-RELEASED-Lincolnshire-and-Humberside-2012

Intro

After last years flop due to my sudden bout of competitive golf lasting from November 2010 to September 2011 I was unable to produce a detailed database. My desire to sit down in front of my computer waned and was replaced by the need to hit balls around a big field full of holes.

This year however I am in a new situation, unable to golf, no wife for 4 days a week and just my PC and internet connection for company... therefore the new database and its development fits perfectly into my lifestyle once again.

Objectives

I plan this year to make my Lincolnshire and Humberside nation database the most competitive and engaging league structure to date. The move to smaller leagues will mean much fewer walkover matches, I plan to loosly structure them around the initial levels of the teams involved, this will mean cup qualification and seeding will become very interesting, possible quite complex (but I hope not).

6-12 team leagues will mean top league teams will have extra rounds and cup competitions to make sure we get to an optimal number of games per season. This in conjunction with the plan to make the Humber cup open to only players of the home nation (and possibly those trained in from youth) will make squad rotation a prime concern for almost any manager as congested fixtures might mean planning 3 games ahead.

The other main objective is to balance rewarding overachieving and punish underachieving, this will come through the league relegation/promotion/playoff structure and through the cup seeding (both FA and Humber Cup) as well as some financial rewards.

Improvements

Financially the nation will be (hopefully) well balanced to allow progression in reputation without spiralling money out of control in either direction.

Distribution of things such as national stadia etc will be more even to increase the realistic feel of the joining of two regions that have a deeply shared history full of fracture as well as friendship.

Summary

So I hear by call all those who wish to take on their south of the river footballing rivals and those with scores to settle on the pitch with those north of it to battle in my Lincolnshire and Humberside database to take home the spoils, trophies and awards alike. I also urge the coming together of people from both sides to enjoy the cooperation of the national team in its plight to compete on the national stage or support the clubs lucky enough to represent the nation in European club football.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome, please add below and I will do my up most to respond or action upon them,final decisions on what goes into this database however remains with myself as it is my vision of what things woul look like if this happened in the real world.

Updates

21/10/2011- Done: Nation. People, Cities, Tweaks

25/10/2011- Done: Premier and Championship divisions, moved in teams and tested successfully

27/10/2011- Added Humber Cup, FA cup (basic), National Division and 1 non playable leagues.

10/11/2011- In beta with one person, need a few more!

17/11/2011- 5 season test- Stable but threw up some improvements

18/11/2011- Fixed issues raised in 5 season test

19/11/2011- Details & Graphics added

20/11/2011- Added All teams, FA Cup/Trophy/Vase rounds, added Humber Cup rounds

To Do next (target date):

1- Final Testing (Today)

2- Correct remaining graphics errors (Today)

3- Release (9PM Today)

What's the league structure like, how many teams in total?

Looking to have 3 active leagues of 8 teams with 2 home and 2 away games against each.

Humber Cup provides the variation in the teams to play against, the squad rules make this a tough cup to win and the FA cup provides a great chance for a cup with for the top 4 teams.

I reduced the leagues from 14 to 8 teams because of the number of 7+ goal games in the league. Testing has proven this new structure to be much more competative and the league is now no longer decided by the result of 4 or 6 games but now by 8+

gonna start my Kingdom of Scunthorpe edit today

That sounds cool! I look forward to giving that one a go if you plan to share it with us! If you need anything just let me know, also if you think you have anything that might help my database I would be very grateful.

....gonna write over the faroes.....

If I was you I would write over C.I.S and create the leagues by adding. Its the best way with the new editor. if you need any help I am happy to lend a hand

about half way through the edit....everything going to plan.

Still dont really understand how to change the flag...wondering if you could point me in the direction of step by step help?

I was thinking about it although because me and mates are doing it, it will contain alot of people personal to us....for example my old man will be managing one of the teams!! Wasnt sure if people would be that interested in that but maybe I will release 2 versions...

cheers

Still dont really understand how to change the flag...wondering if you could point me in the direction of step by step help?

I added the flag for the nation's unique id (574 for CIS) following the guide from the skinning section on this website, I have had experience doing graphics for other games before so those skills came in handy.

As for the friends and family one way is to do what you said, get it all finished and ready for use as you would like it, save that away for your own use then just remove anything you don't want the rest of use to see in another saved version. The changes section of a person can be cleared and then it will be as if they have never been created (I assume the UI will not have any problems as it will just not be used again and any future ones will take the next one in the sequence after the most recent used instead. Just in case you could just remove the nation instead.) With this database editor making 2 versions is not very difficult. I however do include some things as easter eggs... if anyone has ever found them I am not sure as I know where too look but they are in pretty obscure places!

Very strange indeed! I will double check next weel but - am very sure - only had one place, I checked on the euro page like in your image and I was bottom of the list not top and I only had one place assigned. Can you put an image up of mine in my databases thread? My question to you would be are you loading any other files and have you verified your installs?

I'm running only your file and no other leagues. When I tried to run it with ShanghaiNugget's I couldn't select your leagues. When I loaded it with my league, the game crashed before it finished loading.

First Season Summary

screenshot20111112at840.png

4 Seasons in

screenshot20111112at840.png

Season 5 you lose 3 champions league spots so you only have one Champions League and a Europa League spot

Then 6 Seasons in

screenshot20111112at908.png

Qualification Positions

screenshot20111112at846.png

Thanks jol for the test! Very interesting... Do you have a powerful rig? I have very different quallification on my test, how can we explain the difference? Maybe take a closer look at the database if you have time. I have not set any coefficients yet so I assumed my nation should have no more than one spot in total

It's not really powerful, but it gets the job done. I've had a few crashes also, but unlike my files, yours load up again and away it goes.

Just thought you also might like to know. Lincs & Humber held England to a draw twice in 4 matches and just recently found 4 goals to smash past a 10 man Liechtenstein Side.

Great to hear the nation does well, in my tests a win over 8th rank croatia was the best result but usually its a string of losses. I always enjoy the humber cup but the sucess of grimsby boro in your save was a shock. Was there a reason for them to rise?

I took some screenshots of the premier league, humber cup and FA cup histories which I'll post when i get back from band rehearsals, and I'll have a look at Grimsby Boro when I get back also see If I can notice anything. Hull are still way ahead as the richest club though.

Grimsby Boro taken over by a consortium

screenshot20111113at129.png

Still took a while for them to break out of the Championship, kept losing in play offs.

As for their cup run, they just surprised Hull in the semi-final. They have had 3 other semi final appearances in the FA cup.

Richest Clubs in Lincs&Humber

screenshot20111113at130.png

Just a quick comment, the disciplinary rules haven't been changed. I don't know if you want it at the 2 card rule, but it also might be having some effect on the results.

Great work and thanks for all the testing. I have changed the card rules, I noticed that too... Weird default! I have done one test since and things have not changed much, the reason hull get so rich is because of the stadium, can't do much other than help the other teams in some other clever way...still working on that! The only difference between my saves and yours has been the sucess of grimsby boro, that appears to be a Very interesting one off. Thanks for all the hard work and comments, wen I get home on wednesday I will get back on the final push to release. Thanks again mate!i

Something else I noticed at the end of my testing was a lack of Lincs & Humber players in the Premier League. There was only 10 Lincs & Humber nationals across the 8 premier league first teams and half of those were in the team coming last.

Not even Hull was recruiting somewhat decent local talent.

Something else I noticed at the end of my testing was a lack of Lincs & Humber players in the Premier League. There was only 10 Lincs & Humber nationals across the 8 premier league first teams and half of those were in the team coming last.

yup I've notice that too. I am going stricter on league rules to combt, even if it is at the xpense of some freedom. I noticed also but there are a lot if players playing outside the nation also in the furs few years

After testing I have decided to expand the 2nd and 3rd tiers out to 12 and 10 teams respectively, the games have been reduced from 4 against each team to two, one home and one away.

This also means the lower clubs are playing less games which is of benefit, it also allows me to add in a lower league cup later on ( I may reduce the league size to 10 max if I do), I had wished to do this but not been able to with 2nd tier teams already playing 38 games! They now play 29-33 games which is much more manageable.

After reviewing the people and who can and cannot play for the nation once they have international caps for another I have identified a few things:

Some players can choose to change from england to my nation (eg Nick Barmby, David Prutton, Mark Wilson) - These I have set Lincs to their second nation so they can choose

Some players have already deffered from england to another nation (eg Peter Pawlett/Scotland) - These I have left with their new nation

Some players have retired from international football but would otherwise be able to change (eg Paul Robinson) - I would like to know if people think I should remove the international retirement, I think a player in this situation would choose to come out of it but what do you think?

One testing up date, squad rules now encouraging local born talent!

Premier league only

Squad size:21

Max foreign: 9

Max non EU: 3

This seems to encourage local talent, the restricted squad size also seems to encourage the use of younger players. I have toyed with the idea of match rules for "trained in the nation" but not yet fully explored its effects.

Max foreign of 7 or below ends up with 2-3 or more ineligeble players in season 2 per team in the 1st tier, I am looking for a balance, 7 is too low, 9 I will know by tonight, 8? Maybe 8...

Same as last year: no such place as Humberside, hasn't been for years now. Best if you name this correctly as East Riding of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.

Why make the comment then? You have made it something like 3 years in a row... just dont bother posting and reading the thread! It would be better for everyone!

Hi Nottingham Forest, I believe it would be pretty difficult, the advice I have given to others hoping to run databases alongside each other is to avoid it! It might work for nations far apart but some are just to close and have conflicting boarders.

Lets concentrate on getting yours up and running, try starting a work in progress [WIP] thread to let others know, we can then discuss your database specifically in there

One testing up date, squad rules now encouraging local born talent!

Premier league only

Squad size:21

Max foreign: 9

Max non EU: 3

This seems to encourage local talent, the restricted squad size also seems to encourage the use of younger players. I have toyed with the idea of match rules for "trained in the nation" but not yet fully explored its effects.

Max foreign of 7 or below ends up with 2-3 or more ineligeble players in season 2 per team in the 1st tier, I am looking for a balance, 7 is too low, 9 I will know by tonight, 8? Maybe 8...

we are trying to so the same thing (boost up the national side) but we are going about slightly differently, in my yorkshire DB I've got the rules like this, 5 homegrown in match squad and 7 homegrown in the starting 11 for the cup.

Not at all, Humberside was disbanded in 1996. A very unloved term for us Yorkshiremen who were told we weren't any more, and resisted by us north of the river throughout the period 74-96.

Lincolnshire & the East Riding would be a better and acceptable title.

But you do not need to make your view heard every year for three years, I heard it then and accepted it as a fair comment, made my decision and carried on. You made it the next year, fine but I had made my decision. If you so wish to download my database and change the name you are more than welcome.

Who cares what the name is?! Mine is even more geographical incorrect lol

Names are just names IMO, call it what you like when you download the file. I do not "own" anything I make, I meerly just bring together information. I have no objection to anyone doing what they like with my databases after I release them!

Currently on the long slog of adding all the non league club for the FA Cup and the FA Vase.

The FA Trophy which pits Tier 2 against Tier 3 is done

The FA Vase pits Tiers 3 against 4 and 5

The FA cup includes all 5 tiers

About 20-25 teams to add then its all done! Looking for a final test tonight and a release tomorrow!

Sorted this out now, the hilarity is reading the transfers page for the premier league, they just steal all the players from the lower league clubs for free (as they have no value). Does make for some funny reading! It also means the 2nd and 3rd tier results go a bit skewed, some teams overperform by half a league table (by getting a lucky signing from another team who averages 7.40+)

This is not wholly bad but I have had to take measures to stop CPU teams climbing leagues too fast (this was possible when they had a few decent players by luck). I have done this by tweaking reputation, its a lot more structured, less like real life but you can probably imagine clubs reps will change when they move league like this anyway!

Sorted this out now, the hilarity is reading the transfers page for the premier league, they just steal all the players from the lower league clubs for free (as they have no value). Does make for some funny reading! It also means the 2nd and 3rd tier results go a bit skewed, some teams overperform by half a league table (by getting a lucky signing from another team who averages 7.40+)

This is not wholly bad but I have had to take measures to stop CPU teams climbing leagues too fast (this was possible when they had a few decent players by luck). I have done this by tweaking reputation, its a lot more structured, less like real life but you can probably imagine clubs reps will change when they move league like this anyway!

How are you sorting the teams for the first season ?

by actual league placing in the english pyramid. Lower down I have been a little bit creative when it comes to non FA affiliated leagues. Such as the Lincolnshire football league.

Im so very close to finishing! I am so excited I am struggling to concentrate!

Archived