The Wolverhampton Wanderers Team Guide: We love you McCarthy!

MichaelBrown

Welcome to the Team Guide of Wolverhampton Wanderers!

ClubEmblem.png

The Past:

Formation

Wolverhampton Wanderers were originally founded as St. Lukes in 1877 when pupils from the school in Blakenhall was presented with a football by their headmaster. Two years later, St. Lukes merged with a local football club 'The Wanderers' to form Wolverhampton Wanderers. In 1888 the club became one of the twelve founding members of the English Football League and finished that respective season in a creditable third place. Wolverhampton Wanderers also reached their first ever FA Cup Final, however, unfortunately they lost to Preston North End who would go on to be the first 'double' winners.

The Stan Cullis Era

In 1947 Wolves simply needed to win Liverpool to claim the First Division title. However, just like in 1938, they failed to capitalise on this chance and lost 2-1 to Liverpool. Stan Cullis, player who retired after the Liverpool game became manager of the club a year later and led Wolves to their first major honour in 41 years as they beat Leicester City. In the 1950's Wolves were the dominant force throughout world football. Captained by Billy Wright, in 1954 they claimed the League Championship in the final few games of the season, overhauling their Black Country rivals West Bromwich Albion. Wolves cemented their position in English Football by winning two successive titles. The 1950's also led to Wolves becoming globally reowned for their high profile floodlight friendlies against European teams such as Real Madrid. Arguably, the most famous one could be against Honved, a team which consisted of many famous Hungary internationals who had beaten the English national team. Wolves defeated Honved 3-2 after being 2-0 down at half time. This game and Cullis's comments afterwards led to the formation of the European Cup. Wolves went onto achieve mixed success in the European Cup against teams like Barcelona. Wolverhampton managed to win another league championship in 1958, and came close to a hat trick of trophies, just missing out to Burnley.

The Decline & Revival

In the early 1960's their form declined sharply which led to the sacking of Stan Cullis and the relegation of the club. However, the spell in the Second Division wasn't a lengthy one, and they gained promotion back to the top flight in 1967. In the 1970/71 season, the club finished in fourth place which meant they qualified for the newly established UEFA Cup. En route to the 1972 UEFA Cup Final they beat teams such as Juventus and ADO Den Haag. In 1974 they managed to win the League Cup for the first time against Notttingham Forest. Whilst relegation also occured during the 1976/1977 season, Wolves bounced back to the top flight and won the League Cup once again in 1980.

Welcome to the Fourth Division

Wolves went through a traumatic time throughout the 1980s which nearly led to their extinction as a football club. The infamous owners at the time, the Bhatti Brothers, was bleeding Wolves dry which led to successive relegations in 1984,1985 and 1986. This meant the club hit the lows of the Fourth Division for the first time in it's history. After being saved by the local council, Graham Turner was appointed in 1986. By 1989, the club was back in the Second Division after successive promotions. A huge figure in this revival was Steve Bull who would go on to be the clubs record goalscorer. He also managed to be called up for England, the only player to do so in the last twenty-five years at Wolves.

Hayward to the Present

Jack Hayward's takeover in 1990 was instrumental in rebuilding the clubs aging ground to meet the regulations set out by the Government. This meant the ground got two new stands, the Stan Cullis stand in 1992 and the Billy Wright Stand in 1993. However, the club failed to get back into the dizzy heights of the newly formed Premier League despite different managers and heavy investment from Hayward. In 2002/2003, Wolves experianced sporadic form and never challenged for the automatic promotion places. However a 3-2 win at Newcastle gave the team confidence. After the win at Newcastle the team only managed to lose twice in twenty games, meaning they finished fifth, hence being in the playoffs. Victory in both legs over newly promoted Reading set up a tense clash against Sheffield United. However, the match led to a 3-0 win for Wolverhampton, meaning they won promotion to the Premier League for the first time in nineteen years. Their first season in the top flight was incredibly tough as key players Joleon Lescott was out for the entire season. Their spending power was small as Hayward decided that he wanted to sell the club. Failure to win any away games throughout the season meant their battle was lost and they was relegated. Their 2004/05 season was poor which led to the sacking of Dave Jones. In 2006, after Hoddles dismal run, Mick McCarthy was hired. McCarthy stripped the club to it's bare, relying on journeymen, youth players and loanees for a squad. The club was in or around the playoff places until 2009 where finally the club managed to win their first championship since the 1988/89 season. This meant Wolves finally got back to the Premier League where they rightly belonged.

Additional Information on Wolverhampton

Molineux

Molineux has only been the home of Wolves since 1889. Before this there stadium was in the Blakenhall area, however the stadia does not exist to the present day. Northampton Brewery rented Molineux to Wolves who then played their first game at the ground against Notts County in front of 4,000 people. The stadium has been pivotal the modernisation in football as it was the first to install floodlights. The 'floodlight' friendlies allowed Molineux to be part of the prestigious friendlies against a host of teams across the globe, which attracted huge media and public attention. Throughout their height of success, Molineux regulary held 50,000 spectators. However, in the 1980s when their league form faltered, only two stands were in use.

Between the years of 1991 and 1993, Molineux was overhauled. Three stands was changed and renamed which made Molineux the fifteenth in English Football. In 2010, plans were announced for a £40 million investment to increase the stadium capacity to 36,000 seats for the 2014–15 season, by rebuilding firstly the Stan Cullis Stand (in 2011), then the Steve Bull Stand (between 2012–14). The new design will include numerous additional corporate and hospitality facilities, improved fan facilities and bring the stands closer to the pitch. Depending on future demand, Molineux may also extend it's Jack Harris & it's Billy Wright stand to increase it's capacity to 50,000 spectators.

Ground.jpg

Club Colours & Badge

The first badge worn by Wolves was the city crest of Wolverhampton which was usually on show for special occasions such as cup finals. The the 60s, Wolves introduced a new club badge which consisted of a single leaping wolf, which in turn became three leaping wolves in the 70s. However, the most recognisable of all was the famous wolf-head badge which they turned to in 1979. It's design became one of the most iconic in English football and is still in use to the present day.

The club's traditional colours allude to the city's motto "out of darkness cometh light" with the gold and black representing light and darkness respectively. Whilst the club sported different versions to the gold and black, it still remains one of the most famous strips in British football. The away colours of Wolves is all white, however on some instances it has been all black and will be so during the 2010/2011 season.

Kits.png

Football Manager Information

Overview

Nation: England

Year Founded: 1877

Chairman Status: Loves the club

Legends: Jack Hayward, Stan Cullis, Billy Wright, Steve Bull

Icons: Derek Parkin, John Richards

Favoured Personnel: Matt Murray, Ron Flowers, Robbie Keane

Derbies: Black Country Derby (Vs West Bromwich Albion)

Fierce Rivals: West Bromwich Albion

Other Rivals: Birmingham, Aston Villa, Stoke

Finances: Secure

Average Ticket Price: £22

Average Season Ticket Price: £425

Season Ticket Holders: 20,000

Estimated Value: £48.5 million

Continental Competition: None

Media Prediction: 17th

Squad Personality: Professional

Captain: Karl Henry

Facilities:

Name: Molineux

Capacity: 29,303 all seater

Year Built: 1889

Owned By: Wolves

Stadium Condition: Good

Under Soil Heating: Yes

Roof: No

Surface: Grass

Pitch Dimensions: Length: 106m - Width 69m

Maximum Pitch Dimensions: Length 112m - Width 74m

Pitch Condition: Perfect

Reserve Stadium: New Bucks Head - Telford

Corporate Facilities: Good corporate facilities

Training Facilities: Top training facilities

Youth Facilities: Above average youth facilities and youth academy

Youth Recruitment: Average youth recruitment

The Employees

Assistant Manager: Terry Connor

Coach: Steve Weaver

Goalkeeping Coach: Pat Mountain

Fitness Coach: Tony Daley

Youth Coach: Kevin Thelwell

Youth Coach: Mick Halsall

Physio: Steve Kemp

Physio: Alan Peacham

Scout: Chris Kinnear

Scout: Ian Evans

Scout: Dave Bowman

Squad Analysis

Whilst the media predict you to finish in the lower end of the Premier League, the squad which McCarthy has left you can certainly exceed this expectation. Whilst the team does need a couple of players in to improve the first team squad, Wolves has good depth to the squad. Some players are accomplished or natural in numerous positions which will obviously help if the dreaded injury crisis occurs.

Goalkeepers:

Marcus Hahnemann

Wayne Hennessey

Carl Ikeme

Left Back

Jelle Van Damme

Stephen Ward

George Elokobi

Matt Hill

Centre Half

Stephen Mouyokolo

Christophe Berra

Ronald Zubar

Richard Stearman

Michael Mancienne

Right Back

Kevin Foley

Greg Halford

Centre Midfield

Karl Henry

Nenad Milijas

David Jones

Adelene Guedioura

Wings

Matt Jarvis

Stephen Hunt

David Edwards

Michael Kightly

Geoffrey Mujanji Bia

Forwards

Kevin Doyle

Stephen Fletcher

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake

Marcus Bent

Just to let you know WestBromwich, I'm not a Wolves fan. My team is in the Championship.

Oh, Netow4, I didn't play Ebanks-Blake if I'm honest, I relied on Fletcher and Doyle. Doyle I played up front as a deep lying forward in a 4-5-1 formation. I'll show how I got on soon.

The Wolves squad is pretty impressive and only a few changes can bring success. Season one and we finished 8th in the league and won the League Cup along the way meaning we got into Europe :D

Season 2 and we won the Premier League and the Euro cup. i find all out attack works, we conceded alot (56 goals) but scored a lot too (102). that was mostly down to doyle and fletcher tho, they make a great partnership!

The team used:

GK: Hennessey

DR: Rafael (Loan, Man Utd)

DC: Berra

DC: Zubar

DL: Pineda (2.2m, Cruz Azul)

MC: Henry

MC: Leroy Fer (7.5m, Feyenoord)

AMR: Wijnaldum ( 7m, Feyenoord)

AML: Jarvis (immense in the second season, won players player of the year with an average rating of 7.45 over 50 games, and is being tacked by a host of top european clubs)

ST: Fletcher (36 apps, 33 goals, 12 assists)

ST: Doyle (40 apps, 24 goals, 22 assists)

I don't like the idea of them working together :/ I play 4-5-1 and it seems to work well. Just won Villa 3-0. I'm going to get rid of Ebanks Blake and sign Benitez I think, offers something a little bit different I think.

By the way, Ill finish the rest after christmas.

Added another striker to the squad in the form of Kevin Gameire from Lorient in France after I cancelled Marcus Bent's loan deal.

Played two league games and one cup game so far in the 2010/11 season, managed to hammer Stoke 4-1 on the opening day at Molineux, Fletcher scored twice whilst both Witsel and Gameire got their first goals for the club, we then hammered Sunderland 3-0 in the next game, also at Molineux to have us top of the table on goal difference after two games haha.

Eased past Derby County with a 2-1 home win in the League Cup 2nd round and have picked Sunderland out of the hat in the 3rd round, next up are three difficult fixtures in the form of Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool so it was vital that we got a good start in our first couple of games. :)

I'm going to finish the guide now by just adding what I think of the players, I've been abroad so I haven't had the time prior to now.

Anyway, I have just finished 7th, won the League Cup and got to the final of the FA Cup. At the start of the season I signed Mendy, Molina, Witsel and Papac. Due to a broken leg Doyle didn't get much playing time, so I had to rely on Fletcher who got 13 out of 28 in all competitions. Axel Witsel got 13 in 40, and he's seriously improved. Most suprisingly however is the efffectiveness of Sam Vokes (when he returns from his loan spell). I played him as a Deep Lying Forward (attack) and he got 6 in 12, with 7 assists.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seriously considering a Wolves save once the update comes out, a bit worried about effect all that gold/orange will have my eyes though! Some decent players, with addition of a few loan players will be aiming for a top 10 place. How much transfer budget do you start with, i couldn't find it in the OP? (I know it is likely to be different once updated).

Thanks

the initial transfer budget is not a lot (a reflection of the summer spending spree i guess), only a few hundred thousand if memory serves me right. but in january when you can change the season outlook they typically boost it to about 19 - 20 m

• 2 weeks later...

Three seasons in and Fletcher and Berra are my only regular starters from the original line up. Berra is undroppable - I have bought a couple of centre half 'upgrades' but he keeps playing so well that he has to play. Fletcher becomes a better player than Mr Doyle. Players worth buying: Dimitar Makriev is a bargain striker, Enyeama at goalkeeper if you are quick (very cheap early in game), Andre Bikey at DC alongside Berra. Midfield is a bit trickier - got Eyong Enoh in there and just bough a certain Dorrans from our friends down the road - man, were they upset.

Oh and my Molineux has just been expanded to 50,000. Trouble is half the squad think we are under achieving when we are 3rd in the table and through to knockout stages of Champions League!

I'm into my 14th season now. The stadium has been at 50,000 for a long while but after selling some players for big fees the board have finally decided to build a new stadium due in 2026. In the early years my key players were Doyle as a lone striker (92 goals in 214 games), Ryan Shawcross who signed in season 3 after Stoke went down for £5m (7.49 avg rating over 369 games), Nicolas Lodeiro who I signed on a free (66 goals in 369 games and well over 120 assists).

I'm starting to dominate the league now, winning it 3 seasons in a row and making the champions league final 3 seasons in a row (though only winning it once!).

I've had to continualy deal with players wanting to leave but for the most part they have stayed. I also had Eyong Enoh in DMC for a while who was a useful player, Phil Jones has been with me for 12 seasons and last but not least, Alex Smithies who has been my number 1 keeper for 12 seasons making 563 appearances at an average of 7.01.

I have found Africa to be a great source of regens for very little money and have Lokomotiv Sofia as a feeder team who I send them to where they have developed well and picked up EU nationality in 3 years. Probably made 40m+ in player sales from those who didn't quite make it.

Just purchased 2011 and am about to play it but...

seriously, how do you guys win the premier league with wolves?!?

I've played 2 seasons on 2010 and it follows a similar script, a few good wins, top six by Christmas, then i run out of steam and sag to about 11th. The defence for wolves is utter crap but I can't attract the players I want and I have a strict no cheat policy moneywise.

I played five seasons on CM 03-04 (the easiest version in my view) and qualifying for the champions league is a struggle every year let alone winning it despite investing in the team every summer.

are you all who claim to win the league doing something that im not?

What do you mean by 'claim'???

It was season 11 that I first won the league. You do this ummm strategy of improving year on year...

I have no idea how someone has done it in the second season though. Must be very good with tactics.

what i mean by claim is... come on! as a wolves fan i hate to admit it but stearman? berra? Jones? Edwards? Henry? hardly premiership material.

season 11 is fair enough but honestly!

and what's this about 150k transfer budget wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

version 11.2 is a joke it would appear

Start of Season 2014/15

Well well well, last season took a massive gamble and bought in a few oldies that had a year left, Jermaine Defoe being one. The season went well all in all, finished 6th, although, I didn't qualify for Europe as the seedings have changed :mad:

Still, I did alright finishing 6th, got the Overachievers of the season. This season I'm aiming for 6th again, I'd love to get into Europe but I doubt financially I could compete, having a Transfer Budget of about 15M a season isn't that great. Sold Defoe to West Ham for about 2M and bought in Romelu Lukaku for 9M from Stuttgart, very happy with this as he's young, hungry and can improve.

This seasons transfers:

Enyeama - Free - Offers a great option for a goalie, Hennessey wanted to move onto bigger things and eventually moved to....Stoke. Silly boy. Enyeama is better but he is 31 and only has 3 seasons left, I have a decent regen in the U18's and will try and make him my #1 soon.

Emmanuel Eboue - Free - An oldie from Arsenal, at 31 he doesn't have long left but he has a lot of Natural Fitness that should help. Gives good competition on the right, mainly will be Right Back, signed Johnathon in season 2 from Cruziero for RB and has been a good servant, so will rotate.

Daniel Sturridge - Free - ANOTHER freebie, this time from Chelsea, he's pacey and ENGLISH! Love this sort of player who has bags of pace, play him on the Left and he can also play upfront, bargain at 40k per week.

Mehdi Carcela - 3.25M - A cracking winger who has bags of potential, he offers something going forward, like Robben would, but albeit cheaper and younger. Signed him from Villa for about 3Million, what a bargain. Play him on the right and should bag me some assists.

Romelu Lukaku - 8M - A chunk of my transfer budget gone, but by god he is a fantastic player, only 20 and he is a class target man, will most likely move onto bigger and better things but for the 2-3 years he'll be here, he should be great.

Michael Carrick - Free - Free, offers experience in the middle of the field..Can play attacking and defensive, say no more..English.

Season Lineup: (Rgn) = Regen

---------------------Enyeama---------------------

Eboue - Djourou - Casalta (Rgn) - Gibbs

-------------De Jong - Badelj ------------------

-Carcela -------------------------------- Sturridge

--------------- -Lukaku - Gobbi (Rgn) --------------

Casalta is a WORLD CLASS center back, picked him up from Lyon as a youngun and he impressed, already has a few French NT Caps.

Looking forward to the season, wish me luck :D

what i mean by claim is... come on! as a wolves fan i hate to admit it but stearman? berra? Jones? Edwards? Henry? hardly premiership material.

season 11 is fair enough but honestly!

Berra in particular is premiership quality, and for the first couple of seasons so is henry. the others not so much, but are fairly good rotation players for injuries, suspensions etc

berrahistory.png

The wolves squad in general only needs a few additions to bring in success, this is my team of the year in season 2 (where we won the league and the euro cup).

toty1112.png

as seen here,

seasonfinish1112.png

we then had second season syndrome and finished 4th.

That's similar to how I did on the iphone, how do you get wilshire to leave arsenal though? I love the idea of the big four becoming the big seven with the entrants of man city, spurs and wolves... so exiting!

i like how the transfer budgets are lower in 2011 but it means I have to put up with an average defence, anyway I'm in October 2010 and 5th on the pc so not as bad as I predicted

wilshere was on loan, mostly to provide backup to jarvis and wijnaldum.

i have made it 7 seasons in, man city and my wolves are pretty much alternating titles at the moment. once carlos '50 goals a season' tevez retires though (now 33) they will probably slip like the rest of the big guns. sigh.

Hello, You aren´t using Hunt at all? Is he that bad on the game?

I was thinking starting with wolves using 4-5-1 (4-3-3) formation with jarvis on AML and Fletcher trained to play at AMR, both cutting in.

DMC position should suit Mancienne well with Adlene as cover.

What you guys think?

How about Kites? Is he anygood on FM11? I was thinking that once Hunt and Kightly get over their injuries that Iĺl have quite good wingers at my disposal.

Looking at your preferred starting line-ups that you´ve posted neither one of them are playing regularly.

Kites has been toned down too much, once he gets started in real life again he should be better than Jarvo tbh. Hunt is okay but I feel pace is really important and Hunt isn't that quick, I played Hunt at LM rather than LAM and he did okay, but N'Zogbia and Danny Sturridge in the 5th season are class.

ok, I suppose he´s not the quickest player in the league but he should have decent workrate and determination to compensate that.

I don´t have FM11 on right now to check. Watiting for the 11.3 patch to start my career... Should be interesting.

board gave m 15mil for January wtf. nothing like real life!

I forgot about nzogbia because i was so engulfed in a spending binje but here are my teams in april 2011

HOME (against crap teams)

-------------------------------- Fletcher---------------Doyle

Dos Santos-------Henry©--------------------Milijas---------------------Jarvis

Gunter-----------Wheater-----------------------Berra-------------------Foley

--------------------------------Hennesey-----------------------------------------

AWAY (against good sides)

-------------------------------------Doyle-----------------------------------------

Dos Santos--------------------------------------------------------Jarvis

-------------------------Milijas----------------Edwards-------------------------

----------------------------------Henry©---------------------------------------

Gunter-----------Wheater-----------------------Berra-------------------Foley

--------------------------------Hennesey-----------------------------------------

Edwards, Berra and Milijas have been superb

I've not got the best out of Foley, Doyle, Fletcher or Hunt

Henry, ward and Zubar have been purley apalling

probably looking at a top half finish: somehow

could you recommend a good striker for next season? maybe a replacement for Henry too?

Give fletcher some time to adjust to the team, in season 2 he hit 32 in 43 apps for my wolves despite a mediocre first season. doyle is a puzzle tho, he usually performs from the off as a support striker (less goals more assists).

You could try Leroy Fer from feyenord as a replacement for henry, can get him for about 8 million and is fairly reliable. can't help you with a striker though, i only replaced doyle and fletcher when some decent regens started to come through.

I'm still stuck with Fletcher and Doyle in my fifth season, Fletch scored 20 last season but was still not enough to get me into Europe. There's no significant improvements available to me until I reach Europe, so I'm focusing on other areas of the team.

My team, although this changes relatively regularly

Stekelenburg

Bouwmeester (Regen)

Phil Jones

Berra

Diego Renan

De Groot (Regen)

Aguirre (Regen)

Giuliano

Dentinho

Fletcher

Neymar

I've gone a bit crazy on the Brazilians, Neymar was somehow a realistic signing in the third season so I snapped him up knowing I wouldn't have him too long, I accepted a 30m bid from United in the summer of 2014, but he turned them down...

I've been raiding Man City's reserves, but have had to play hardball on the wagefront with some of them. Baines, Richards and Defour were brought here, but none have performed too well for me and are no longer regulars, now preferring to bring through some very impressive youngsters.

I really should be getting into Europe with this team, but I'm consistently inconsistent. I'll go 5 without defeat then go 3 without a win.

Struggling to get the best out of my Brazilians too, Neymar is incredibly frustrating hence the accepted bid in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

i am nearing january, and all i've signed so far is a right back. But i play a 4-1-2-2--1 and my midfielders tire very easily so need a good young midfielder to fill in the odd game, preferably an attacking one, anyone got any ideas? i'm only in my first season and i hope in january the board might give me some transfer funds?

Dave Edwards?

If you do well the board will give you up to about 20 million so relax

I went for Leroy Fer (10m) in the following summer window but I signed Giovanni Dos Santos (7m) in January, initially as a backup for Hunt, and he became instrumental to my success

Look at Charles N'Zogbia and give Adlene Guediora a chance as he's not totally crap either.

I started a save with Wolves as I was bored of constently doing a Man United save. At the end of the first season I won both the FA Cup and Carling Cup missed out on the CL spot on goal difference. I bought Lukaku (£7.5m January 11) and Lee Hodgson (£1.8m July 10) I didn't sell anyone. I only lost one game at home and that was to Man United 2-1, although I beat them of the same score line at OT on the opening day. I had a lot of luck as needed, Steven Fletcher was a beast 34 goals in all competitions. I only wish I had kept a few more clean sheets but this was certainly my most fun save I have ever done.

I used Nevrin's Man United Tactic: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/253566-Man-Utd-tactic-(based-on-the-match-against-Aston-Villa) I just tweaked set plays though as you tend to concede on corners.

League Table

barclayspremierleaguein.th.png

FA Cup Final

liverpoolvwolvesinforma.th.png

Carling Cup Final

wolvesvmancityinformati.th.png

Records

wolverhamptonwanderersh.th.png

ok so begging for advice again. im in january 2012 now

Leroy Fer has been useless!

doyle and fletcher have scored less than ten between them!

The club have spent millions on a stadium expansion which means that the finances are in jeopardy!

I'm 8th because I've been relying on Keogh for goals (i was pushing for 4th last season)

WHAT SHOULD I DO! is there a way to coach fletcher to be as good as he is on your screenshots?

I decided to start a new game because of 11.3 and if anything, fletcher has been more prolific. season 2 and he scored 44 in 47! only special settings i have for him is to run with ball very often and no long shots. he scores a lot by taking on defenders, then slotting it past the keeper.

season 1 we finished 7th and season 2 we managed 3rd.

Doyle is somewhat less prolific and i have been using ebanks-blake instead. and for the midfield i currently use Steven N'Zonzi and Sandro with henry and milijas as backup

fletchy.jpg

It might be used a lot but it might be your tactics? I have found that i had to tweak tactics a bit following the patch. maybe that's why you are seeing different results?

Archived