FM11: The Official Sheffield Wednesday Thread

WORK IN PROGRESS - MORE TEAM DETAILS TO COME

FM11 – The Official Sheffield Wednesday Thread

Sheffield-Wednesday.png

Nickname: The Owls

Stadium: Hillsborough 39,812 Capacity

History

Early days

Founded by a group of cricketing craftsmen on Wednesday, September 4th 1867, the original aim of the football club was to keep their members together during the winter cricket off-season. The name came about not only because of the day the club was formed, but because Wednesdays were the day the craftsmen took a half day to play cricket.

To begin with the founder members just wanted to keep the cricketers together to main their fitness, but it soon became clear that their was enough talent and interest in the football club to exist independently. A quickly arranged practice match was arranged in the October of 1867 where the blue and white of Wednesday beat the Mechanics Club at Norfolk park. The club played their first proper competitive game in February 1868, as they entered the Cromwell Cup – a tournament named after the excellently named Oliver Cromwell, manager of the Theatre Royal, and footballer for The Garrick Club. The Wednesday as they were called at the time picked up their first silverware in the trophy, defeating Cromwell’s Garrick Club 1-0 at Bramall Lane.

In 1882 the cricket and football clubs parted company, the cricket side later going out of existence in 1925. Pressure from players defecting to other clubs in 1887, forced the club to go professional. In 1889 the club became a founder member of the football alliance, where they were the first champions, and reached the 1890 FA Cup Final where they lost to Blackburn Rovers.

Modern History

The 1980’s and 1990’s were spent mostly in the top tier of English Football. Out of sixteen consecutive seasons only 1990-91 was spent outside the top flight. This season is one of the most memorable in modern times for Wednesday fans, as under the guidance of Ron Atkinson, not only did they make a swift return to the top flight, but they won the League Cup with a victory over Manchester United. The Owls first trophy in over 50 years.

In 1992-93 Sheffield Wednesday visited Wembley on no fewer than four occasions, a League Cup Final, and FA Cup Semi-Final, Final and subsequent replay. The Semi-Final was noted for a famous 2-1 victory over their Steel City Rival Sheffield United. Unfortunately they won neither Cup Final, losing to Arsenal in both ties.

A series of managers tried in vain to recreate the success. David Pleat, and Danny Wilson spending fortunes on players that were neither up to the task or spent more time on the physio’s table. With a growing debt in 2000 the Owls were relegated to Divison One. More flirtation with relegation continued with the Owls once again being relegated after failure to beat Brighton and Hove Albion.

A glimmer of success came with the appointment of Paul Sturrock, in the 2004-5 season who negotiated a trip to Cardiff for the League One Playoff Final where the Owls beat Hartlepool 4-2 in extra time, thanks to goals by Steve Mclean and Drew Talbot. Sturrock kept the Owls up the following year, but was sacked following a heavy defeat away at Colchester. Sturrock was replaced by Brian Laws, who in his first season in charge took the Owls to 9th position narrowly missing the playoffs. The 2007-08 season saw Wednesday start with 6 straight defeats, the clubs worst ever start to a season, the season continued poorly and a win on the last day of the season was required to avoid relegation. 2008-09 was a improved performance leading to the club finishing 12th with the best defensive home record in the league.

Halfway through Sheffield Wednesday's 2009-10 season Brian Laws was sacked, and was replaced by Alan Irvine. On the last day of the season, needing a win to stay up, Wednesday drew 2–2 with Crystal Palace and were once again relegated to League One.

So why play as the Owls?

A rich heritage, a c. £30m debt, and an expectant fan base will mean a huge task for any football manager to return the club to their former glories. And while the task might not be as attractive as turning a lower league club into a powerhouse, the challenge to return this club to former glories still remains. The infra-structure of the club is sound for League One level, and if you were to return the club to their former station of the Championship or even the Premiership, then you will have a steady income thanks to the fan base and the 39,000 capacity stadium. Could you do better than Big Ron, Tricky Trev, or Howard Wilkinson?

And here's the facilities you have to play with:-

sheffieldwednesdayinfor.png

Good training facilities, but limited youth. that'd be the first thing I'd expand on once the money situation has been sorted out.

And talking of money:-

sheffieldwednesdayboard.png

3m in the bank but some hefty loans to repay will mean you are in debt until 2020 unless you can rebuild the club to former glories.

And the tools for the job:-

sheffieldwednesdaysheff.png

Hmm room for improvement nearly across the board.

But you've still got some class acts to work with:-

clintonmorrisonprofilea.png

Clinton's an out and out goal scorer, working hard but will pop up with the goods when required.

gilescokeprofileattribu.png

Giles is a young hungry talented midfielder the boiler room of this Wednesday side.

markbeeversprofileattri.png

Mark was once highly rated - and attracted the interest of many a Premiership club. Out of sorts at the minute but still young enough to be a good player at a much higher level.

nickyweaverprofileattri.png

A Wednesday fan himself, Nicky is now at the peak of his ability, and arguably a much better all round player than his predecessor Lee Grant.

tommymillerprofileattri.png

Tommy Miller is the technical managers dream, good free-kick taker, a team player and can pop up with valuable goals.

Priorities

A good left midfielder, and a little height in the centre of the park. You'll do well to find all the qualities you are looking for with free transfers, and the loan market maybe a better option.

Youth Players

Liam Palmer, Luke Boden, and Nathan Modest are the best prospects at Hillsborogh. They'll require some bedding in time to reach their potential, but can you balance this against the needs of the club returning to the second flight at the first time of asking.

Good Luck.

Got a career sheffield wednesday save going at the moment. Currently in 2019 season and things are going well have won prem league once, champs league once, fa cup twice. Actually haven't had a takeover yet, though my finances are fine so it's not really required.

I gotta admit i did reload the save to win promotion out of league 1 a few times but haven't been reloading for match results since (though do do a few reloads when dealing with player interactions as i'm still trying to figure out how the new system works).

Still since then it's been good anyways. Just survived in championship first season (finished one place above relegation) then won it the next season (probalby due to a large amount of quality free transfers which i stopped signing after that as i began to realise it was a bit of a bug with player interactions). Was mid table prem next season, and then finished 4th the season after. Unfortunately i got knocked out of champs league qualifiers by juventus :(. Lost 3-2 at home after going 2 down in first 20 minutes and then hammered them away from home but didn't score despite having nearly 20 odd shots on a goal and a fair few ccc vs their 5 shots or so.

Also lost the league cup to manchester united that year.

Next year though i did the double of the prem and the fa cup.

Year after that it was 4th place and a champs league fa cup double. Might have done the treble but for a horrible start to the season had something like 10 draws in the first 20 games. Then won just about all of them after.

Highly reccomended singings are leigh griffiths, scottish striker. Signed him in league 1 and he's been scoring goals since. He's slowly getting phased out as i bring in new strikers but he still manages to get 10-20 goals a season even in prem leageu/champs league etc. Also makes a good tutor with 15 determination.

Other highly recommended signing is miguel medina. Paraguayan striker He's been top scored for the team since the championship and is still my best striker. Gets 20+ league goals per season, and has been just behind rooney and hernandez for golden boot every season. On my save he has solid mental stats and 17 finishing/dribbling/pace/accelration/strength. As well as good longshots and composure. Great player, sign him if you can.

Currently running a 4312 which has been going great.

Good look on you shef wed saves all ^^.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just started a game as Sheffield Wednesday earlier using Forbsie’s 2011 update, it’s all good since you get £2m to spend! I’ll post a ‘opening window transfers’ post at some point but first I wanted to share with you my first big result- Bolton in the League Cup 2nd round:

[video=youtube;-Z1Z03zFb18]

• 3 weeks later...

Nice result ^

Hoping to get a game going with Wednesday when the update is released as I haven't done one so far, not sure I'll make too many additions to the squad though. I might get a winger in to add a bit of pace but I'll try and get the promoted with pretty much the squad we have now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, new patch out now so I've started a game with the Owls. Not sure on how to improve the squad if its needed, but got Jordan Mutch in on loan to play in the centre of midfield and a left midfielder called Rui Almeida Monteiro in to provide cover down the left. Not sure on who will play in my back four, but probably going to be looking at something like Spurr, R Johnson, M Morrison, Buxton. Maybe they will perform better on here than in real life haha. Gonna get a few friendlies going to look at the strike force, tempted to see how Madine and Heffernan might link up (Heffernan got around 15 in 20 on my last game under a different manager). Not sure where else needs strengthening in the squad, think it looks pretty reasonable to challenge for promotion.

Likely line up:

GK: Weaver

DR: Buxton/Otsemobor

DC: Morrison

DC: Beevers/Johnson

DL: Spurr

MR: Teale

MC: Coke

MC: Mutch

ML: Jones/Monteiro

ST: Heffernan

ST: Madine/Mellor

• 2 weeks later...

Just started a new Wednesday game (11.3).

My Wednesday is currently staying at the top of the table (Mar 2011) with 12 points seperated from Peterborought(2nd).

And already has been promoted !! (with 7 games left)

My first team squad :

GK - Weaver/Jameson

DR - Ryan Jack (from Aberdeen 90k)/Michael Morrison

DC - Mark Reynolds/Richard Hinds

DC - Mark Beevers/Reda Johnson

DL - Greg Cunningham(Loan Man City)/Tommy Spurr

MR - James O'shea(Loan Birmingham)/Gary Teale

MCa - Giles Coke/Barry Bannan (Aston Villa 4.5M)

MCd - Gary Deegan (Coventry 500k)/Thomas Delaney (Loan Kobenhavn)/Edu (free)

ML - Rui Almeida Monteiro (Free)/Daniel Jones/Davide Chiumiento (Jan 250k Vancouver )

ST - Neil Mellor/GaryMadine

ST - Denis Alibec (Loan Inter)/Ahmed Soukouna (Free)

Tip : Mark Reynolds suits well with ball-playing defender cover (with Beevers as CD stopper). He has scored 2 goals and 5 asts in his 29(1) apps so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone playing with Wednesday? Have started a save with them today (11.3), aiming to rebuild to club and get back into the big time.

My first move was to sign Steve Black as Fitness Coach, I couldn't be doing with 1.5 fitness training. I then went on a scour of the free agents and got loads of players in on trial, such as Collins John, Andy Van Der Meyde, Nigel Quashie, Michael Mifsud and a fair few others. Having given them some friendlies I decided on who I was to signm and went for Van Der Meyde, Collins John, Abubakari Yakubu, Hannes Sigurdsson and Alin Stioca. And now I'm just looking through the players available for loan as I have 3 long term slots left. Started things off with a seasonon-long deal for Birmingham's Jordan Mutch and have an offer in for Jordan Spence, may just leave it at that for now unless someone catches my eye.

That leaves me with a first choice team of:

GK: Nicky Weaver

DR: Abubakari Yakubu

DC: Michael Morrison

DC: Mark Reynolds

DL: Daniel Jones/Tommy Spurr (or Jordan Spence if he signs)

DM: Jordan Mutch

MC: Alin Stoica

AMR: Van Der Meyde

AML: Gary Teale

ST: Sigurdsson

ST: One of Clinton Morrison, Neil Mellor or Collins John

Should get promoted this season with that team IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally going to actually do a Wednesday save on the new patch. Kind of started one a while back but gave up. Struggled to actually get anybody to sign for the club so far, no real good left midfielders out there on the market available. Got Olivier Kapo and former Arsenal midfielder Edu in, got Danny Ward on loan from Bolton to play on the left side as well. Probably will go with a Madine and Mellor partnership up front, with alternating strikers. Not sure if there are any decent players going or not, nobody has really stood out.

Squad I might use:

Weaver

Buxton Morrison Beevers Spurr

Teale Potter Edu Ward

Mellor Madine

Probably alternate players in and around that squad. Unsure as to whether to get rid of Potter and O'connor as they do have reasonable stats for the league.

Small update, top of the league after six games, won them all so far. Managed to get some sort of team line up going now, but injury has kept a few players out meaning I have a big selection headache coming up. Lost to West Ham in second round of cup (always get premiership sides in the 2nd round regardless of who I am - always) but pushed them all the way. Got Crewe in the second round of the JPT.

Side in recent games:

Weaver

Buxton Morrison Beevers Reynolds

Orlandi Potter O'Connor Ward

Heffernan Mellor

Mellor isn't getting goals at the moment, but we're getting goals from other areas. Can't seem to get Spurr to play well on the left, keeps getting ratings of 6.0 or 6.1 and I end up having to bring Jones or Reynolds on. Brought Andrea Orlandi in on loan to cover for the injuries to the right side of midfield. Scored a delightful goal against Hartlepool in the JPT before adding two in a 2-3 win over Plymouth earlier. 3 in 3 for him!

Started a game with Sheff Wed, I'm 4 games in.

Though the squad on whole looks capable of challenging for promotion I'm very weary of the lack of influence and decision making at the club i don't think there's anyone at the club that does either over 12 at the start of the game.

Thought the defense looked fine bar right back so brought in Abubakari Yakubu on a free so at the moment my back four is:

Yakubu Morrison Beevers Spurr

Midfield looked a worry to me, onceMiller was back from injury he'd command a starting spot but other than that they all looked quite poor only Coke looked a decent passer and he is lacking in other areas so it was important to me that i brought in at least one quality midfielder but that has been much harder than expected a few work permit denied at this stage with a week left in the transfer window I've not been able to strengthen the middle of the park, the Wings also looked a poor with no great crosses or passers out there, Teale looks capable of starting & Jones on the left looked decent back up, I brought in Omar from Tenerife to play on the left and Sears from West Ham on Loan to cover the right side and as a back up striker, so at this stage my starting midfield is:

.........Reynolds

Teale...... Coke...... Omar

Upfront I thought we'd be fine but Morrison was god awful in pre-season and in the first couple games and Heffernan wasn't much better, Madine on the other hand looks like he'll contribute really well though his finishing needs work. once again struggled to find the quality i was after but did manage to find a potential gem in Agustin Torassa from All boys in Argentina, cost 100k but looks the part as a fast striker

Madine.. Torassa

With a week still left in the window I'd expect to make a few more signings, i'd like to bring in a creative midfielder for Coke's CM spot looking at Bannan at the moment and a good all round DM for Renyolds and another Striker if possible any recs would be appreciated

Torassa (has EU Backup Nat)

torassa.th.jpg

12 games gone now in the season, won them all surprisingly. Was a bit lucky to keep the streak going this morning, had to play Notts County away. They ended up taking the lead, but gave away a penalty, which Heffernan scored on his return from injury. Then, a few minutes before half time they regained the lead. I decided to make two subs at half time, with Buxton having an awful game and Danny Ward not really contributing. Managed to get a second penalty which saw Krystian Pearce sent off (second penalty he gave away). Heffernan gets a second. Then, 20 minutes or so later on, they gave away another penalty, Heffernan bagging a hat trick! First time I've ever seen a penalty of hat tricks on one of my saves, especially for my side. Mark Clattenburg was the referee if anyone is interested, the post match report claimed he had an 'excellent game.' Not often you see a referee giving three penalties and a red card against the home side walking away with praise, especially when its a guy who can be as dodgy as him!

Followed that unusual game with a 1-0 away win over a really bad Tranmere who sit 23rd in the table, despite them having a man advantage after Andrea Orlandi got sent off for a ridiculous challenge...Still in the JPT, Morecambe in the next round!

Anyone know what the transfer budget is like for the second season? Pretty much looks like I will be promoted (despite some managers claiming otherwise) as I'm clear by 19 points at the New Year. Mixture of outstanding displays, fortunate results and hard work has seen my incredible form go on (including a 5-0 away win against Southampton). Probably will look to tie Andrea Orlandi down during the January market if I can afford him and might look to let JJ go as I've only used him 3 times or so. Probably will try to offload Chris Sedgwick as he's only played once.

i got 6 million in 2nd season in the championship but that was because 1st season i only signed players for free an loan signings an sold players in monthly installments. i got promoted through the play offs so i took a chance but worked out in the end.

Running away with the league at the moment. Was given a £8.5m transfer budget in the January window, made only two permanent signings. Signed Andrea Orlandi permanently after his good start for a few hundred thousand, then he picked up a three month injury the next game (surprise there...). Also signed Stephen Dobbie for £1.1m. Did really well for me when I managed Swansea in L1 on a different game so hoping for the same again. Also, due to Orlandi's injury I brought in ex-Liverpool player Luis Garcia on loan as cover. Tried to sell JJ but no one would put a bid in at the £0 I was offering...

Quick update on my game. Clinched the title easily, on 105 points at the moment but form has slightly dropped. Just won the Johnston's Paint Trophy against Brentford, who always provide an annoyance to me. Had a league game only a few matches before hand in which my team decided to throw away a half time 3-0 lead thanks to some woeful defending. Come the JPT final, I'm 1-0 down inside 7 minutes. I make the radical decision of taking of Buxton (at fault in both games defensively) and Giles Coke off on 15 minutes. Stablises the team and thanks to an unusual 60 yard goal from Michael Morrison (keeper had taken a free kick near the corner flag and Morrison hoofed it back up into an empty net) its 1-1 at half time. Second half Heffernan manages to get two goals and I look well on my way to taking trophy. Nope, the team folds again and due to my early subs I can't bring in a defensive midfielder to shore up the defense. 3-3 after extra time and now penalties. Just managed to scrape it on the penalties 3-2.

Going to need a new right back next season it would seem. Fallen out with Otsemobor who refuses to take note of his poor training and woeful performances in the games I've played him in, and Buxton's declining stats and poor performances aren't doing him any favours.

Also, should I keep Weaver for next season? His contracts running out but is it worth renewing or should I sign a new one?

Wow, who's in your squad cragswfc?

Pre-season at the moment on mine, just trying to get some players in and out. Sold Giles Coke off as I hadn't really used him and some went on frees. Trying to get rid of Clinton Morrison as well. Brought in Joe Lewis for a £1m to be number one keeper with Weaver as back up. Got Cristian Pellerano offered to me so signed him up for a £1m as well to play as my defensive central midfielder. Signed up Mika Vayrynen on a free as well, thought that might be a good deal. Looking at either bringing Mateja Kezman or Danny Koevermans in as well as they're both free agents. Probably have a strike force of one or both of them, Stephen Dobbie and Paul Heffernan.

Need a new right back so suggestions are welcome!

So my team line-up for my second season should consist of:

GK: Joe Lewis

DR: Paul Quinn

DC: Michael Morrison

DC: Mark Beevers

DL: Mark Reynolds

MR: Andrea Orlandi

MC: Mike Vayrynen

MC: Cristian Pellerano

ML: Danny Ward

ST: Paul Heffernan

ST: Stephen Dobbie

Substitutes will include:

Nicky Weaver, Reda Johnson, Lewis Buxton, Olivier Kapo, James O'Connor/Darren Potter/Edu, Danny Koevermans, Morten Skoubo/Gary Madine

This squad should secure me safety, maybe even look at getting the playoffs I hope. Paul Quinn at £10k seems a good deal so far.

Archived