Big Attendance drop

In my 5th season my average gates have droped by 5000, 3 season's in the Championship and 1 in the Prem all averaged 30000 ish a year, im down to 25000 this season after beeing relegated.?

has any one else noticed this? should i be alarmed?

why would they drop below a 3 year average in that division? i havnt seen any Championship teams lose 5000 people a week after relegation

I would have thought that because it would seem they've reached their peak and have fallen back down the ladder. The anticipation of promotion and the high of being in the Premier League would keep attendances high but the major low of a relegation might have had an adverse affect and people may have thought "it was good while it lasted".

Obviously that's not how the game portrays it, but I could see that being a decent enough reason in real life so no reason to think FM can't replicate something similar. Just my opinion.

Or, maybe they've coded in the effects of the credit crunch :p

this really anoys me, as a customer and a loyal fan and player of fm and i have been for over 10 years, how us joe public can play the game for a thew hours and find all these bugs and problems, what on earth do the testers do? every year there are new version's released and it's the same old problems that arise, fix current bugs before moving on to new projects IMO

This is a known issue and is under review.

There must be something else here then. Take a look at any club relegated from the Premiership, of course the attendances are expected to drop, Southampton is a great example. Should the team recover in the league below and be in for a good chance of promotion by winning matches then sure, attendances might rise toward a former level

As the poster said earlier - relegation and lower attendances should go hand in hand

i dont think they should for certain clubs tho, some clubs have stadium capacity below 30000, they are full in the championship. beeing promoted to the prem doesn't actually increase there gate's, Relegation doesnt change there attendances either, Norwich City is a prime example, they have a very good following and there gates are consistant regaurldess..

if a manager is under reasure and in danger of losing his job maybe the crowds could change,

this really anoys me' date=' as a customer and a loyal fan and player of fm and i have been for over 10 years, how us joe public can play the game for a thew hours and find all these bugs and problems, what on earth do the testers do? every year there are new version's released and it's the same old problems that arise, fix current bugs before moving on to new projects IMO[/quote']

Oh man, just chill out a bit.

This is a known issue and is under review.
i dont think they should for certain clubs tho' date=' some clubs have stadium capacity below 30000, they are full in the championship. beeing promoted to the prem doesn't actually increase there gate's, Relegation doesnt change there attendances either, Norwich City is a prime example, they have a very good following and there gates are consistant regaurldess..

if a manager is under reasure and in danger of losing his job maybe the crowds could change,[/quote']

Relagation doesn't change attendances? I'd have to agree to differ

Relagation doesn't change attendances? I'd have to agree to differ

If they fill their stadium 3 years before getting promoted then a straight relegation back to the division where they were previously selling out every game should not see the attendances drop drastically. There should be a more complex formula, not just current attendance minus a certain percentage for every division dropped. Something like potential attendance (the maximum tickets a team in question would sell where the capacity is not taken into account) being considered.

While this doesn't seem to be true in England, in other countries, clubs that are performing well (for the clubs stature) sometimes get odd drops in attendance if the club has nothing to fight for. I've seen some interesting stats on attendances in Italy, particularly regarding clubs getting proted to Serie A and being able to consolidate into "mid-table" clubs.

When they're in Serie B and pushing for promotion, they get high attendance. When they get promoted and are expected to be relegated, they get even higher attendances. After a couple of seasons of comfortably staying up though, the attendance figures seem to drop off. There's no "excitement" for the fans - there's not the pressure of relegation, yet there's no chance of them winning the league.

This doesn't always happen by any means, but it's happened a few times, and it's rather interesting.

If they fill their stadium 3 years before getting promoted then a straight relegation back to the division where they were previously selling out every game should not see the attendances drop drastically. There should be a more complex formula, not just current attendance minus a certain percentage for every division dropped. Something like potential attendance (the maximum tickets a team in question would sell where the capacity is not taken into account) being considered.

In Norwich's case I think the average attendance went up 100 from premier to fizzy pop though this is a distorted by Norwich having just the 04/05 season in the premier and getting relegated the same year.

Most clubs enjoying premier football then getting relegated will have lower attendances

You may find out next season, althouth Portsmouth does have a strong following.

Currentlt, and I say currently, we are a few teams clear of the relegation zone though we do play spurs away on Sunday :D

agreed, its not an easy one to work out and it also depends on fan base, location, rivals, fickleness of fans and achievement in current league

e.g. a club in English League 1 in promotion spot may have larger attendances than if rooted to the bottom of the premiership with high ticket prices. Everyone loves a winning a team

Archived