Searching for Staff

Ok, I am after a scout with 15 tactical knowledge and 15 judging players ability. I run that filter and it returns nothing at all. I am in League One, is that why?

I did a search with just Scout as the filter and it only returned Scouts of National reputation.

Is that right?

Just realised though that my knowledge of England is 60%, so that could be why.

However, its clearly an odd science because of the close proximity of Tranmere, Liverpool and Everton. I'm pretty sure the guys IRL at Tranmere know about the sheer talent over at Goodison, and obviously the Spanish Armada over the way.

A scout with those abilities in scouting is very very unlikely to go to a League One club. You porbably have 'ask assistant to filter out unrealistic targets' checked.

Nope, I don't have that option checked. I'm not looking to sign them, its more a proof of concept.

It says Staff in your region (0 found)

2007 isn't really going to be relevant is it

Well its not irrelevant either. Unless there is some point that has been made that Tactical Knowledge for scouts has been made obsolete. But look at it this way, the Scout is giving you information on how a team plays, what formation they go with etc.... Surely some level of Tactical Knowledge is important.

Well its not irrelevant either. Unless there is some point that has been made that Tactical Knowledge for scouts has been made obsolete. But look at it this way, the Scout is giving you information on how a team plays, what formation they go with etc.... Surely some level of Tactical Knowledge is important.

ahh, you are think of the scout who scouts opposition

I understand what you are saying but the report doesn't give tactical detail to this sort of level

My suggestion in this case for a scout looking at opposition would just be some one with a hight scouting ability for player ability

A scout does more than just search for players.

does he, you tell me what else a scout does then in game?

The only scout who does anything different is the one who scouts the opposition where he gives you a mini report

The post that you linked too was one persons view. It may have been correct for FM07, but it certainly isn't for 09.

I'm pretty 99% sure that Tactical Knowledge has no impact at all on a scouts ability in FM09.

So what about when the scout reports on formations, how the team plays - defensive or attacking, how they look to feed the strikers, quick or slow, high or low. You know what I mean? You can't get that just from player abilities. I mean I know Ronaldo is mustard down the wing, but I need to tap into more of my knowledge on tactics to discover how well the team plays.

It's a false cosmetic feature that you will get better or worse scout reports dependant on anything other than judging.

It's like the people who think coaches with a higher man management attribute will train their players better. It's their interpretation of how it should work but the way it is implement in the game, it really doesn't.

So what about when the scout reports on formations, how the team plays - defensive or attacking, how they look to feed the strikers, quick or slow, high or low. You know what I mean? You can't get that just from player abilities. I mean I know Ronaldo is mustard down the wing, but I need to tap into more of my knowledge on tactics to discover how well the team plays.
The answer is in the question mate.

I'm trying to help pal, if Im not then I wont

Yus, as I said early tactical knowledge is a coaching attribute, and scouts don't coach.

I see the point being made and understand it. In reporting how a team plays I don't personally think tactical knowledge is all that important: a skilled observer will be able to relay how a team plays without having a background in detailed tactics.

I agree with what you are saying but in FM terms I think its irrelavent
It's a false cosmetic feature that you will get better or worse scout reports dependant on anything other than judging.

It's like the people who think coaches with a higher man management attribute will train their players better. It's their interpretation of how it should work but the way it is implement in the game, it really doesn't.

Why though? I mean no offence is intended here but I have learnt so much from these tactical bibles - more than what I have found out from loose postings or personal experience of the game. If Man management attributes are useless, than why would SI put them into the game?

Hey no need to get tetchy. You just asked me a question, but put the answer in there too. I was just pointing that out.

It's explained in the manual what it does;

The tactical knowledge possessed by a coach. Their experiences in the game, where they've been and who they've worked with will affect the level of knowledge they have. When using this knowledge they may have ideas lesser coaches haven't become familiar with, which is an advanatge.

It's purely for coaching :)

Rashidi got that one wrong I'm afraid

Yus, as I said early tactical knowledge is a coaching attribute, and scouts don't coach.

I see the point being made and understand it. In reporting how a team plays I don't personally think tactical knowledge is all that important: a skilled observer will be able to relay how a team plays without having a background in detailed tactics.

Ok in FM I can't say if this is true or not. I would probably need to see detailed analysis to be honest. In Real Life, I would say that a skilled scout would need to have a certain amount of aptitude for tactics if he is going to report on how a team generally plays football. Its all good and well us armchair fans making points about why Defoe can't score for England, or why Crouch does. But at the end of the day we don't possess the knowledge to give a professional opinion, if we did, then we wouldn't be in a pub making that point.

It's explained in the manual what it does;

The tactical knowledge possessed by a coach. Their experiences in the game, where they've been and who they've worked with will affect the level of knowledge they have. When using this knowledge they may have ideas lesser coaches haven't become familiar with, which is an advanatge.

It's purely for coaching :)

Rashidi got that one wrong I'm afraid

Fair enough, I wasn't really relying on Rashidi, I was using it more of a back up to my own opinion in Real Life stuff. I personally believe someone needs tactical knowledge to make a report on another teams tactics.

So if its not required, what sort of attributes are required for the scout who reports on opposition?

In my experience and in reading the FM manual Tactics are only important for a coach

Scouts it will just be player ability and player potential.

Sorted :)

Maybe post a suggestion that a scout with higher tactical knowledge could give more informed opposition reports

The trouble then for this is that scout attributes for ALL scouts would need to be reconsidered

In my experience and in reading the FM manual Tactics are only important for a coach

Scouts it will just be player ability and player potential.

Sorted :)

Maybe post a suggestion that a scout with higher tactical knowledge could give more informed opposition reports

The trouble then for this is that scout attributes for ALL scouts would need to be reconsidered

Hey no worries.

Maybe I will post a suggestion, it does need to have some tactical knowledge.

I used to work for a design and marketing company in Macclesfield and they had a guy there who a part time scout for WBA, now he gave me some info on Everton's younger players as he went to one of the games and he detailed some of their tactical ability and how one or two were kind of out there on their own and not really playing to the same beat as the rest of the team. Now to me that was telling me he had tactical knowledge.

So no harm done, its a good healthy discussion on what we believe should be right to make it as realistic as possible.

Why though? I mean no offence is intended here but I have learnt so much from these tactical bibles - more than what I have found out from loose postings or personal experience of the game. If Man management attributes are useless, than why would SI put them into the game?

The problem comes from all staff having the same set of attributes. Physios, Scouts, Coaches, managers all have the same things but only make use of some of them.

They aren't hidden like the goalkeeper stats for players because there is the possibility of staff moving between different roles.

The problem comes from all staff having the same set of attributes. Physios, Scouts, Coaches, managers all have the same things but only make use of some of them.

They aren't hidden like the goalkeeper stats for players because there is the possibility of staff moving between different roles.

Then maybe more thought needs to go into these stats instead of lazy coding putting them all in with the same box. A physio is going to need more skills than a scout or a coach. A Youth Coach is going to need different skills than a Fitness Coach. A Fitness coach may well have skills in Diet.

There is so much room for improvement here. For that we must agree?

Hey no worries.

I used to work for a design and marketing company in Macclesfield and they had a guy there who a part time scout for WBA, now he gave me some info on Everton's younger players as he went to one of the games and he detailed some of their tactical ability and how one or two were kind of out there on their own and not really playing to the same beat as the rest of the team. Now to me that was telling me he had tactical knowledge.

So no harm done, its a good healthy discussion on what we believe should be right to make it as realistic as possible.

I actually agree with what you are saying. I guess not all suggestions get taken up but its suggestions that take the game forward :)

Hey no worries.

Then maybe more thought needs to go into these stats instead of lazy coding putting them all in with the same box. A physio is going to need more skills than a scout or a coach. A Youth Coach is going to need different skills than a Fitness Coach. A Fitness coach may well have skills in Diet.

How about a fitness coach for the youth team :D

I actually agree with what you are saying. I guess not all suggestions get taken up but its suggestions that take the game forward :)

Absolutely.

Perhaps an attribute could be for a scout to weed out the loyalty of certain players. As a Pompey fan, I would say that was imperative, as you guys seem to get turned over quite often by lack of loyalty.

There's room for development, but I wouldn't put it very high up my "want" list compared to a lot of other things in the game that I would like worked on.

The training module improvement suggestion has been made lots of times and it's definitely on SI's radar, but whether they choose to do anything about it or not is their call.

I personally think it's fine the way it is.

Absolutely.

Perhaps an attribute could be for a scout to weed out the loyalty of certain players. As a Pompey fan, I would say that was imperative, as you guys seem to get turned over quite often by lack of loyalty.

LOL - I think these days players and managers loyalty is 100% cash induced

Unless you are a top club then you, unfortunately, expect better players to move on. Having a chairman wanting to sell the club doesn't really assist player or manager stability

LOL - I think these days players and managers loyalty is 100% cash induced

Unless you are a top club then you, unfortunately, expect better players to move on. Having a chairman wanting to sell the club doesn't really assist player or manager stability

True, wish our chairman would sod off though. :)

If tactical knowledge is a coaching attribute, how does this effect their coaching? I thought the stars for coaching were only reliant upon the coaching section of the attributes?

Not sure what you mean here.

I mean if, as skorp said, "tactical knowledge is a coaching attribute". I would like to know how this effects whether a coach is good (in the game).

There are simple formulae which calculate a coach's star level at certain training groups, and none of these take tactical knowledge into account.

And a second question, does this mean that tactical knowledge isn't important for an assistant manager either?

Archived