Not speaking even basic english after nearly 2 years

I've had a player in my side for nearly 2 years now, and was quite confused when my asst manager told me he was having problems due to the language barrier. Out of the sheer curiosity of perhaps, he had an adaptability of one I downloaded some FMRTE thing (which in retrospect took far too much time to realise why it was flashing all over the place realising I cant use it with FM up in the background) and navigated through it and found the player concerned, one Juan Angel Albin. His adaptability is 11 obvious not the most adaptable soul in the world, but you'd think, after nearly 2 years he'd be able to speak at least basic English, but he still only speaks Spanish.

A defender I bought however, who has the same adaptability (now looking through all my foreigners to see why albin hasnt picked it up yet) has full English language and has only been here for a year.

On the other hand, a player called Jan Simunek who has 15 adaptability has learned English (fully) inside of 3 months.

Only notable differences between the 3 is sportsmanship Albin's is on 7, the other 2 are 12 and 15 respectively.

I can't check staff, but my assistant manager who's profile lists 8 adaptability (and if of any relevance 8 determination) learned English within a month. Main reason I checked ths out was because incase SI had a nice little feature in like translators for assistant managers doing press conferences (which I don't think they do lol)

some people (all footballers) are stupid, but still even they would surely learn how to speak English after 2 years lol.

not so sure. you know. I can think of a few who are still utterly incomprehensible. like most of arsenal's team. ;) and coahes like ramos, capello, ranieri etc. all still speak utter gibberish.

ramos could speak English, towards the end he did a few interviews himself without a translator (then went back to a translator probably because of how god awful he sounded when speaking English) and capello, ranieri etc can speak English, they just "erm" a lot, like Sven lol.

I know people can have trouble learning new languages but i think that after two years that it is a bit poor not to have even learnt basic english

the problem is that they dont use english in training. they all have interpreters and often team mates with same language or coach with same language like liverpool or arsenal. it becomes the media language not the club tongue.

is unuque to england, in france and italy you learn the language. its contractual.

Surely though you should be able to as manager be able to request/demand they take up English and learn it. I mean I have a couple of spanish speaking players, but this is no reason not to be able to intergrate with my English speaking central midfielders.

Surely though you should be able to as manager be able to request/demand they take up English and learn it. I mean I have a couple of spanish speaking players, but this is no reason not to be able to intergrate with my English speaking central midfielders.

you not been to bradford then. :thup:

pro footballers live in a parallel reality. read cassano's recent interviews about life at madrid and his ho's and dohnuts.

they are horrible pampered and despite being paid vast sums still have everything covered by the club as expenses.

plus they are usually not very smart in first place. not big suprise really ..

I can't loan my best winger to a smaller club lol. I'm turning down 15m offers from man utd for the lad, hes intergral to my team, although that is a good solution for youngsters coming through who don't speak English.

Cassano is a one off case who has had the hype about him since he was very young, obviously its gone to his head, much like it did with gazza - some footballers aren't equipped to deal with it, others are. But still, learning the language is pretty much a must for clubs that are especially in the lower half of the premiership because my squad is being more built on bringing through younger English players to replace the current crop of old players I've brought in to survive.

I think distance has a bearing as well: players from other continents are likely to find it far harder to adapt in the game than players from the same continent. I'm assuming the player you are having trouble with is south american?

Don't have the game open right now, otherwise I'd look him up.

Albin is Uruguayan I think (at least he plays for them) not sure if he has a second nationality, so it could be an issue... but 2 years for not even basic speaking English. It seems I'm going to be losing him this summer as more and more teams are after him and the bids are piling in close to an offer I'd be daft not to take lol.

Just noticed this myself. I'm half way through my second season and i just found out that my italian captain (whom i appointed as captain at the start of the second season) don't speak a word english even though he was the first player i bought at the start of the game.

Can't say it bothers me though, he's doing a heck of a job as team captain!

On a side note; it's nice to see Fabregas speaking french with half my squad being french or from french speaking countries. I don't know if he has basic french at the start of the game or if he has learned it during. If it's the latter it's a cool feature..

I dont think Tevez can speak english at all yet and i was reading an everton program at the match a few weeks back and valente had on had 1 english lesson since he joined everton!

Thats not that unusual. Shinsuke Nakamura at Celtic cant speak Eglish yet either.

Archived