Still can't activate the game 3 days now!!!!

I have bought the game friday here in Hong Kong but already tried thousands time to activate thru both steam and unicoc. The message "The application was unable to connect to internet". I have tried to fix my IE 7 follow the guide on anotehr thread but I didnt see “There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.” and just ask me the username and password to sign-in the softanchor website, can anyone help me to solve the problem??? I am really frustrated and just wonder if I make the right decision to buy the game!!!!

download a program called ccleaner and run that, analyze your system and then clean all the files it has found.

make sure you are actually connected to the internet when you launch the game.

also, go to internet explorer, and click on tools and then internet options and then restore advanced settings and also click on reset.

restart your computer

Error: You are receiving the Error [-51] / [-52] message

Fix: You need to delete the certificates and re-activate the game

1) On receiving the error, please uninstall the game

2) Please navigate to the following directory:

XP users: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

Vista users: C:\Program Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

3) Please ensure that it is the \certificate directory you are located in

4) Delete all content

5) Reboot the machine

6) Re-run the installation program and retry activation - ensuring you have 'verified' your key using the following website: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

7) You should now be activated

Note: If the above does not fix it – please check the following:

* C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data is not set to read only.

* Also check that C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate are not set to read only!

To check if a file or folder is read only, please right click the folder and select ‘Properties’ from the dropdown, you should the see a box at the bottom called Attributes – please ensure this is unticked or does not have a green square inside.

* Another way it could happen is if there is another instance of FM.exe or Activator.exe holding onto our certificate. In this case - the user should check the process list to see if another instance of FM.exe is open. If so - close it first.

To do this you need to open Task Manager (right click TaskBar, or CTRL+ALT+DEL), sort the Image Name column by clicking on it and identifying if Activator.exe or FM.exe are running. If they are highlight and click ‘End Task’

• Administrators

Also try this:

You receive the ‘Error: Application was unable to connect to the internet. Please check your connection.

Fix:

1) Open IE and go to: https://fm2009.sa01.softanchorinsight.com

2) Here if you are using IE7 it will prompt you – “There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.”

3) Next, Click – “Continue to this website (not recommended)”. However – this is okay, it is safe.

4) Look up top at your IE address bar – you will see “Certificate Error”. Click this box, then click “View Certificates”.

5) Press, “Install Certificate…”

6) Select the “Place all certificates in the following store”.

7) Press “Browse”

8) Select “Trusted Root Certificate Authorities”. Not this will install the Go Daddy (a reputable) certificate into your trusted root certificate authorities if it is not there.

9) Press OK

10) Press Next

11) Press Finish

Close IE, then Reopen it and to go to https://fm2009.sa01.softanchorinsight.com. Note: on this visit, you will be allowed without trouble.

From here –

1) Reopen your FM2009 game

2) Enter your key into the Activation Dialog

3) Select the “Online” activation

4) Press Next

You game should activate immediately.

If you are install the certificate incorrectly, the error message will still be visible – for more help on installing correctly, please visit:

http://www.thebitguru.com/articles/13-Importing%2520a%2520Trusted%2520Root%2520Certifica tion%2520Authority%2520in%2520Windows%2520Vista/188-Installing%2520the%2520Certificate

Please note: You will require your system clock to be set correctly, failure to do so will cause an error with HTTPS. Please therefore ensure your system time and date are set correctly.

Also try this:

You receive the ‘Error: Application was unable to connect to the internet. Please check your connection.

Fix:

1) Open IE and go to: https://fm2009.sa01.softanchorinsight.com

2) Here if you are using IE7 it will prompt you – “There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.”

3) Next, Click – “Continue to this website (not recommended)”. However – this is okay, it is safe.

4) Look up top at your IE address bar – you will see “Certificate Error”. Click this box, then click “View Certificates”.

5) Press, “Install Certificate…”

6) Select the “Place all certificates in the following store”.

7) Press “Browse”

8) Select “Trusted Root Certificate Authorities”. Not this will install the Go Daddy (a reputable) certificate into your trusted root certificate authorities if it is not there.

9) Press OK

10) Press Next

11) Press Finish

Close IE, then Reopen it and to go to https://fm2009.sa01.softanchorinsight.com. Note: on this visit, you will be allowed without trouble.

From here –

1) Reopen your FM2009 game

2) Enter your key into the Activation Dialog

3) Select the “Online” activation

4) Press Next

You game should activate immediately.

If you are install the certificate incorrectly, the error message will still be visible – for more help on installing correctly, please visit:

http://www.thebitguru.com/articles/13-Importing%2520a%2520Trusted%2520Root%2520Certifica tion%2520Authority%2520in%2520Windows%2520Vista/188-Installing%2520the%2520Certificate

Please note: You will require your system clock to be set correctly, failure to do so will cause an error with HTTPS. Please therefore ensure your system time and date are set correctly.

I dont have the prompt of “There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.”

Is that mean I can just ignore this?

i had the same problem it took me 4 hours to 'connect'

It not the users fault or anything to do with the settings i think its traffic flood or something else on there end. I can say that because mine just all of a sudden after around my 100th attempt worked with no settings changed on anything.

i had the same problem it took me 4 hours to 'connect'

It not the users fault or anything to do with the settings i think its traffic flood or something else on there end. I can say that because mine just all of a sudden after around my 100th attempt worked with no settings changed on anything.

I agree with you on about the traffic flood. I also tried so may times for it to be connected. I guess the solution have been fixed by now!

• SI Staff

I'm very sorry to hear that some people are still having issues.

If you have followed the information in the FAQ guide at the top of the forums and it still isn't working, then SEGA have set up a customer services division to deal with individual enquiries.

If you go to http://help.sega.com/ you can raise an individual ticket, and someone will help guide you thorugh your problems.

You can login using your SI forum login and password to access that site.

• SI Staff
Got through the Soft Anchor stuff after 3-4 hours of trying on Friday, then played the game for the evening. Now I can't get back on it, as Soft Anchor is back again. Now I can't connect because of error [-821].. Can someone help me here?

821 is covered heavily in the known issues thread.

You are receiving an Error [-821]

Scenario: Install and activate with activation code on Steam and it works then launch the game, SoftAnchor asking to re-enter activation code.

Fix: You need to delete the certificates and re-activate the game

1) On receiving the error, please uninstall the game

2) Please navigate to the following directory:

XP users: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

Vista users: C:\Program Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

3) Please ensure that it is the \certificate directory you are located in

4) Delete all content

5) Reboot the machine

6) Re-run the installation programme and retry activation - ensuring you have 'verified' your key using the following website: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

7) You should now be activated

Archived