STEAM WWSM- UK English, yes or no? Please answer SI

Can someone from Sega or SI please confirm that WWSM-STEAM version does or does not have the UK English pack?

I have read the STEAM thread and the spec thread. I have searched "uk enlish, language packs, wwsm language pack, etc. with no luck in finding a definitive answer. The only official response I've seen is Miles saying IF UK-English is not in, there probably wouldn't be a down-loadable pack made available.

I would like to support WWSM as SI and Sega want us to do but if I can't get confirmation that UK-english is in WWSM then I will not be buying but instead will follow through on my preorder of FM. If I get a confirmation now that UK-english is in WWSM then I still have time to cancel my preorder of FM and go with the STEAM version of WWSM.

How do you mean UK-English, as apposed to US-English? I would have thought if its a US version it would have US-English.

In previous years the boxed copy of WWSM came with both US-English and UK-English, while (if I've understood correctly since I always got the boxed version) the direct download only had US-English. So I'm also interested in whether the steam version will have UK-English.

Obviously I can't comment on FM09, but looking though the FM08 folder, there is a language file. If it came to it, maybe you could download the demo in UK English and rob that file, and put it into WWSM? Assuming 09 works in the same way blah blah

Forgive my ignorance, but is it really that big a deal? Is there a massive difference?

If you don't like your manager being called "head coach,"

if you don't like the pitch being called the "field,"

if you don't like your fixtures being called "schedule,"

if you don't like your football being called "soccer,"

then yes it can be a big deal.

Fair enough. I didn't know the differences. But to me it seems a bit cosmetic. Each to their own.

One thing that I remember being encouraged to do is order WWSM. Not because of the language used, but because the distribution information would enable SI to understand that a sizeable market exists in the US for games of this nature and they could continue to understand their demographic database to service the needs of their constituents better. Additionally, since the world has different "codes" to prevent pirating (I assume this is why), some stuff that isn't programmed for the US and the "codes" won't work. We, in the US, want to make sure our value-deprived dollar will still work to represent our fanbase as well as the right codes to play our games.

I prefer the UK-english better than the US -english, but I do want my game to work.

Forgive my ignorance, but is it really that big a deal? Is there a massive difference?
Fair enough. I didn't know the differences. But to me it seems a bit cosmetic. Each to their own.

Sorry, didn't have time to reply earlier as I was on my lunch hour. But to me having UK adds atmosphere and immersion giving me the feel of managing in the Premier League. The way someone that has grown up with the game phrases things and the descriptors he uses is much different than someone that has learned the game as an adult. Keep in mind most of us Americans grew up thinking "soccer = boring" a number of us, that is growing, have found out how wrong we were.

As for me I watch my football on the Fox Soccer Channel which shows EPL games on Saturdays and Sundays. I enjoy listening to the announcers and learn more about football every week. So when I fire up WWSM I want to have that same type of announcing in the text.

You are right it is a bit cosmetic but my experience is the majority of the American players I have communicated with on different boards prefer the UK pack.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Just for the record, there are some Americans who play "Soccer" on a "Field" with a "Schedule" wearing "Cleats" on their feet being "Coached" and talking about days in "month/day/year" format. Also, I don't know if this is an American thing, but salaries are usually discussed in a $/year contract... I noticed on the demo that "per year" is called "per annum" and is abbreviated "p/a". :p

That being said, I wish America went to the metric system, I use Ft, Lbs, and deg F on a regular basis. I'm putting WWSM into metric units though, to improve on my metric as I play :)

And since I'm just spouting off opinions, I want to tell the world that I like the unique structure of the MLS and am excited to hear that WWSM 2009 is attempting to simulate it as realistically as possible. Go SI. Go MLS. Go America.

-Hunter

One thing that I remember being encouraged to do is order WWSM. Not because of the language used, but because the distribution information would enable SI to understand that a sizeable market exists in the US for games of this nature and they could continue to understand their demographic database to service the needs of their constituents better. Additionally, since the world has different "codes" to prevent pirating (I assume this is why), some stuff that isn't programmed for the US and the "codes" won't work. We, in the US, want to make sure our value-deprived dollar will still work to represent our fanbase as well as the right codes to play our games.

I prefer the UK-english better than the US -english, but I do want my game to work.

My issue is that I can't use any 3rd party softwares (Genie, user-made DB, etc) when I use WWSM.

I will be buying FM09 again, instead of WWSM09.

Either they should make WWSM compatible with programs made for FM09, or I will simply refuse to buy WWSM and go for FM.

My issue is that I can't use any 3rd party softwares (Genie, user-made DB, etc) when I use WWSM.

I will be buying FM09 again, instead of WWSM09.

Either they should make WWSM compatible with programs made for FM09, or I will simply refuse to buy WWSM and go for FM.

Really? I have never had an issue using the 3rd Party software with WWSM for the past three years. Huh.

It's funny, I remember a few years back EA put US announcers on FIFA, Julie Foudy was the color commentator and ended up releasing a UK commentary patch with John Motson and whoever did color commentary that year for the US audience, as they received so many complaints about the US commentary.

It's funny, I remember a few years back EA put US announcers on FIFA, Julie Foudy was the color commentator and ended up releasing a UK commentary patch with John Motson and whoever did color commentary that year for the US audience, as they received so many complaints about the US commentary.

I'm not surprised. I would have complained too.

I think of it like this. If I were from the UK and I bought a Major League Baseball game who would I want doing the commentary?

Vin Scully or a Brit? I would want the American announcer every time, no different when buying a football\soccer game.

I'm just glad SI gives us options :)

I'm American. Watching the MLS is akin to watching young children hack a ball around a pitch. I never get WWSM. FM for me all the way. I wouldn't manage in the MLS in real life if they offered me the position in the next 5 minutes, but I'd manage in the Blue Square for free.

Really? I have never had an issue using the 3rd Party software with WWSM for the past three years. Huh.

Really?

I bought WWSM for 2007, and genie scout didn't work... wierd?

I didn't know why either since it was a save game...

it's not even a real time editor, so as long as save games have same database structure, it should've worked...

Have you used Genie Scout on 2007?

Also, I had hard time playing with the user-made DB. It kept crashing, and I had to revert back to SI's DB.

Really?

I bought WWSM for 2007, and genie scout didn't work... wierd?

I didn't know why either since it was a save game...

it's not even a real time editor, so as long as save games have same database structure, it should've worked...

Have you used Genie Scout on 2007?

Also, I had hard time playing with the user-made DB. It kept crashing, and I had to revert back to SI's DB.

I've been able to use Genie Scout in both WWSM 07 and 08, but I've never been able to get a saved game editor to work. I just have to use my own databases.

Archived