international teams

i dont usually manage international teams, when begining a new game there is a list a nations to manage, but as the game progresses managers sometimes get fire from nations not on that list, i was wonderig if the number of nations available to mange increase? i only ask as i am thinking of taking on a nation but there are none i want to manage, altough i have seen people manage canada, jamaica etc.

Yeah, you wouldn't really want to be managing other nations (apart from large ones who have enough players included anyway) because even if they have enough players to become manageable they will probably only just have enough and won't be any fun to manage.

I always get irritated when the news items that pass by in the box when the game is processing always give me news (at the start of a game) of some guy or other being appointed manager of nations like Sao Tome & Principe or whatever they are called...why on earth do I want to know about a manager being appointed to a nation that I can't manage and which has no players!

You are only able to manage a nation if it has enough players available, not if you load them up (although obviously loading up the players will make more available), not sure exactly how many it is ca 40-60 min, Caribbean nations (e.g montserratt) often don't start with enough but get enough players after several years to become available.

Glamdring, i've got to disagree with you about managing minor nations if you take them on in addition to a club job, getting the best out of them in spite of the poor resources is the real attraction. I've been managing nepal for several years and i feel i'm making progress.

i hope its when a nation gets enough player as would really like to manage san marino, the faroe islands or cyprus.

An easy way to see if they are managable, is to create a new user and look at the international teams available to manage, if its not on the list there isn't enough players.

If it is on the list cancel the new user and wait for the existing manger to leave and then apply, minor nations however don't sack managers very often

good idea, i know about the minor nations not sacking all to well, as i was waiting for northern ireland to sack worthington, but finishing anywhere above the bottom position in qualifying is an achievement.

Glamdring, i've got to disagree with you about managing minor nations if you take them on in addition to a club job, getting the best out of them in spite of the poor resources is the real attraction. I've been managing nepal for several years and i feel i'm making progress.

Yeah, sorry, I worded my response especially badly on that one! What I meant to say was that you wouldn't really want to be managing a small(ish) nation for which you didn't choose to include all players at the start, even if they later become manageable because they would not really have enough players to enjoy the game.

There are some nations (e.g. Ivory Coast I think) that are always manageable even if you don't include all players from there, but only because they happen to start the game with enough famous players in the database, but if you didn't include all their players you'll find yourself with not many players to choose from so it isn't much fun.

I love managing small nations, just so long as I chose to include all their players at the start ;)

Yeah, sorry, I worded my response especially badly on that one! What I meant to say was that you wouldn't really want to be managing a small(ish) nation for which you didn't choose to include all players at the start, even if they later become manageable because they would not really have enough players to enjoy the game.

There are some nations (e.g. Ivory Coast I think) that are always manageable even if you don't include all players from there, but only because they happen to start the game with enough famous players in the database, but if you didn't include all their players you'll find yourself with not many players to choose from so it isn't much fun.

I love managing small nations, just so long as I chose to include all their players at the start ;)

I understand what your saying, i run a lot of leagues, large database and a ddt file with all nations so i have access to a lot of players and nations :D

I once did a career with American Samoa, with FM06 or 07 (not sure which). I won most of my games, rather suprisingly, against teams like Soloman Islands and Vanuatu, who themselves are growing forces. Thing is, the next FM came out soon after and I started playing that.

I sometimes take Australia, who aren't really small but still pose a challenge in asia in attempts to knock over iran, japan, south korea and suadia arabia. But Australia were only added to Asia after the 2006 world cup so i can imagine playing them on fm 2006 to be very boring. I only got into fm when 2007 came out so i've never played 2006 but irl i've seen Australia play Solomon islands in the oceania cup (solomon islands were the third best team after aus and NZ) and we would beat them by at least 5 or 6 goals. Not really a challenge.

I took Lebanon up to 6th in the world rankings in FM07, although they tend to fluctuate a lot, even if I'm not losing any games they drop a disappointing number of places. Was great fun though - the only team I managed to regularly pull off big wins with - every other team I managed got held back by the whole 2-0 up at half time team talk issue, but for some reason it never affected Lebanon - they just kept on scoring goals for fun in the 2nd half :)

Archived