FM08 Challenge: Attempting The Impossible

Attempting The Impossible

Your Challenge... To take one of the following teams to the World Cup. And If Possible, Win It. You have 3 World Cups to do so.

Finland - paulmatthewbrowne

Wales - elliotick

United Arab Emirates -

Qatar -

Georgia - KLH84

Burundi -

Macedonia - midgetram

Liberia - Truegunner

Azerbaijan - andylincoln

Ethiopia -

Montenegro - hammy1301

Cyprus - frithleeds

Kenya -

Gambia -

Uzbekistan - Littleliam

Thailand -

Vietnam -

Hong Kong -

Haiti -

Honduras - Quackje

Bolivia - ryan12

San Marino -

Faroe Islands -

Kazakhstan -

Luxembourg -

American Samoa - sheeshy

Fiji - OrientMartin

Turkmenistan -

Jordan -

Syria -

Northern Ireland - The Perfect Villan!

Iceland - DanGLiverpool

Andorra -

Armenia -

Belarus - Dances

Albania -

Latvia - _Jack_

Moldova -

Malta -

Sierra Leone -

Please state which team you want to be, and post regular updates (including screens if possible).

First come first serve due to the league system. Feel Free to Recommend More Teams too. I am adding more teams as I think of them

If you want to be a team who isn't on the list, post saying who it is and I will accept or reject depending on who the team is :)

You can start with any league, because you won't be playing as a club. The date is irrelevant really. And your reputation should be international footballer, seeing as thats what most will have picked

League System

Points will be given for progression through the rounds, bonus points for winning the continental competition (ACN, Euro's etc)

Qualifying for World Cup= 5 points

3rd in World Cup Group Stages = 1 point

2nd in World Cup Group Stages = 2 points

1st in World Cup Group Stages = 3 points

Progression Through Each Further Stage = 3 points

Win the World Cup = 5 points

2nd Place in World Cup = 1 point

Continental Competition Win = 2 point

Team | Points

American Samoa (sheeshy) | 0

Azerbaijan (andylincoln) | 0

Belarus (dances) | 0

Cyprus (Frithleeds) | 0

Fiji (OrientMartin) | 0

Finland (paulmatthewbrowne) | 0

Georgia (KLH84) | 0

Honduras (Quackje) | 0

Iceland (DanGLiverpool) | 0

Latvia (_Jack_) | 0

Liberia (Truegunner) | 0

Macedonia (Midgetram) | 0

Montenegro (Hammy1301) | 0

Northern Ireland (The Perfect Villan!) | 0

Uzbekistan (Littleliam) | 0

Wales (Elliotick) | 0

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honduras 2010 World Cup Qualifying

The way I see it I only need to beat Costa Rica to be sure of a place in the finals, Mexico and USA will qualify then next best is Costa Rica. If I finish below them I still have the chance of a playoff to get in. We already had a friendly planned against Costa Rica and of course I lost 1-0. First game with my tactics though so I put that down to experience and drew our next friendly 1-1 against Guatemala. With the team ready for real matches Netherlands Antilles defeated Barbados to set up a match against us.

World Cup Qualifiers, 1st phase

Netherlands Antilles 0-2 Honduras

Honduras 6-1 Netherlands Antilles

A random red card made it tricky but an easy victory in the end as expected.

World Cup Qualifiers, 2nd phase

St. Lucia 2-5 Honduras

Honduras 4-1 Dominican Republic

Honduras 6-3 Costa Rica

Honduras 3-0 St. Lucia

Dominican Republic 3-0 Honduras

Costa Rica 0-4 Honduras

A Straight forward group and a brilliant performance against Costa Rica at home set us up to go through. I was shocked by the defeat in Dominican Republic I have no answers for what happened there but we rebounded with another amazing performance from Inter Milan star David Suazo smashing Costa Rica in technically the hardest game of the group.

Elsewhere Mexico and USA went through along with Panama and Canada in their groups to set up the 6 team 3rd stage group. Top 3 goto the world cup and 4th has a playoff with the 5th place team in South America, something I would like to avoid.

Have taken over wales and ofcourse before World Cup 2010 i have to finish of euro 2008 i am 7 points of the Czech's who are in 2nd but have a game inhand this is how the table looks :

Team Name Games Played Points

Germany 7 19

Czech Republic 7 14

Ireland 7 13

Slovakia 7 9

Wales 6 7

Cyprus 6 4

San Marino 6 0

so i could still qualify Cyrus aren't a bad team they beat Ireland 5-2 so i shouldn't underestimate them it's a reasonably have a Freindly against Bulgaria before two tough draws against Germany and Slovakia

Bit gutting, one of my star players is out for 8 months :(

Luckily I have no competitive games :)

Just Friendlies Which Are:

Slovenia

Jamaica

Sweden

Israel

Estonia

Dijbouti

Mexico

Andorra

Greece

Bulgaria

Serbia

Burundi

Brazil

Colombia

Serbia game should be good

Just had 3 more friendlies. All Wins :)

Montenegro 3 - 1 Jamaica - http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vjamaicaxb0.jpg

Montenegro 1 - 0 Sweden - http://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vswedenbj1.jpg

Israel 3 - 4 Montenegro - http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=visraelve3.jpg

Going good for Montenegro so far :D

Undefeated

Next Batch of Friendlies

Montenegro 2 - 2 Estonia - http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vestoniato1.jpg

Montenegro 8 - 1 Djibouti - http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vdjiboutiit9.jpg

Montenegro 2 - 1 Mexico - http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vmexicort0.jpg

Just done 3 more matches. Wins against Estonia, Guatemala and a nervous win against Andorra 1-0 (never thought i would say that regarding a game against Andorra).

Macedonia vs Estonia

macedoniaestoniaxu6.th.jpg

Macedonia vs Guatemala

macedoniaguatemalawl4.th.jpg

Macedonia vs Andorra

macedoniaandorraup0.th.jpg

Next up is Croatia and Israel in final 2 qualifying matches for Euro 2008, even though I can't qualify any more :(

For the last update of the night for me it was a very good then a not so good performances form the games against Croatia and Israel.

Macedonia vs Croatia

macedoniacroatiauw6.th.jpg

Israel vs Macedonia

israelmacedoniajf0.th.jpg

Final Group E Table

groupefinaltableix4.th.jpg

Last 5 Games of Group E (since taking over the job)

groupeformfl7.th.jpg

Now onto the World Cup Qualification draw...

League/Europe Update Time :)

Chelsea have won the Premier League in April, Arsenal get 2nd, Man Utd get 3rd, and Man City steal 4th from liverpool on the last day of the season to get into the UEFA Cup. West Brom/Stoke/Boro get relegated. Newcastle get the other UEFA Cup spot

FA Cup Final - Chelsea v Everton (Chelsea beat Newcastle/Everton beat Cardiff in semis)

Carling Cup Final - Newcastle v Man City - Newcastle won 1-0

Champions League Final - Chelsea v Liverpool

UEFA Cup - Valencia v Hamburg - Valencia win 2-1

Ghana won the African Cup of Nations, beating Nigeria 2-1

Euro 2008 Groups

Group A - Sweden, Austria, Serbia, Netherlands

Group B - Switzerland, Germany, Portugal, Turkey

Group C - Italy, Czech Rep, France, Romania

Group D - Greece, Croatia, England Spain

New Zealand beat Solomon Islands 6-0 in the OCE Nations Cup

All goooood

this looks a real challenge... need something to keep me going until fm09 comes out...HAMMY1301 can you give me a team... do not mind who.... will find it better and more challenging if you can...will start first thing sunday am... off out in a bit for some beers.

hope that mekes sense and thanks.

andy

What/how many leagues can we load?

plus can we load all players from XXXX country?

Well I pretty much guessed some reasonable leagues to load, playing in Honduras I loaded Mexican, American and Spanish leagues and then I would expect you need to for other countries to make sure loaded all players from Honduras.

FIFA World Cup 2010 European Qualifying Section

Group 7

Poland

Cyprus

Albania

Croatia

N. Ireland

Azerbaijan

Not that bad of a group, there are the obvious threats of Croatia and Poland, but no real heavyweights like Germany, Spain or Holland

2008 Overview

1st game, 10th September 2008

Home Vs Poland

4-1 Home Win, 5-2 Draw, Away Win 4-7

Cyprus 0-2 Poland

VERY dissapointed in a team that had beaten Germany and drew with the Czech's in the final 2 Euro qualifiers (Germany won it by the way). Not much in the way of clear cut chances for either team. One of their goals was extremly dubious in my opinion, and we hit the bar too. We both had had exactly the same shots on target and off target, my 'keeper got a match rating of 5 ...

2nd Game, 11th October 2008

Away Vs Azerbaijan

Home Win 7-4, Draw 11-5, Away Win 5-4

Azerbaijan 0-1 Cyprus (Labrou 26)

I really felt we could win today, and it was crucial that we did, even at this early stage. Suprisingly, it was the hosts who came out of the blocks quickest, and we were on the back foot for the first half, however, we held a 1-0 advantage at half time. A nevous 2nd half was notable for both sides squandered chances, but we held through and gained our 1st points of the campaign. I told them all it was a good result.

3rd Game, 15th October 2008

Away Vs Albania

Home Win 4-5, Draw 2-1, Away Win 3-1

Albania 3-5 Cyprus (Garpozis 6, 12, 62, Okkas 67, Panagi 89)

A few hours before kick-off, my highest value player goes and gets himself injured for a month, and theres no time for a replacement ... We were, suprisingly, outsiders for the game, i thought that money would be on the draw myself. Another winnable game, I would've taken 6 out of 9 points at the start of the qualifying. A great start in Gusty, Drizzly, 30 Degrees Centigrade, Tirana. We were 2 up before 20 minutes before they pulled one back and hit the post before we cleared it off the line! The 2nd half was all one way traffic (I'd like to think it was down to my 'inspired' substitutions?) And we won it 5-3, a really thrilling game, and a comfortable victory aswell!

End Of The Year Standings

Croatia Plyd3 9pts (+7)

Poland Plyd3 6pts (+2)

N.Ireland Plyd3 6pts (+2)

Cyprus Plyd3 6pts (+1)

Albania Plyd3 0pts (-4)

Azerbaijan Plyd3 0pts (-8)

I felt optimistic about the coming year, it looked like Croatia were hot favourites to qualify top, but I remained confident that we could sneak a play-off place :D

With the Euro qualifications almost finished it was going to be hard to qualify. first home at germany which could of gone either wat but went there's 2-1 before we travelled to slovakia in which we Won 3-2 a good win! then a couple of easy games i thought we travelled to Cyrus but a last minute goal ment it finished 3-3. we then travelled to san marino and LOST 4-3!!! we may of had a few injuries and suspensions but i had exspected Wales to win both! so dissapointment there but the euro's dont really matter in the challange :D

What a great turn around the 2 last games first up Ireland a home we went 3-0 but Ireland fought back to 3-2 but it wasn't enough! then last up Germany hadn't lost any games and we went away! we were 2-0 down at half time but my team talk seemed to motivate the players and we came back to win 3-2!!! Overall we finished above Ireland in 4th and I'm sure our world ranking will go up! and on the last 5 games table we came 2nd (remembering the draw and defeat came from san marino and Cyprus :p) so very good now we will wait for qualifying for 2010 world cup :)!

this looks a real challenge... need something to keep me going until fm09 comes out...HAMMY1301 can you give me a team... do not mind who.... will find it better and more challenging if you can...will start first thing sunday am... off out in a bit for some beers.

hope that mekes sense and thanks.

andy

Sorry for the delay andy, as i said i was away for the weekend. If you want a challenge, go for the Faroe Islands. If you want less of a challenge, but for it still to be hard, Go for Burundi. Or if you want a challenge you can get really in to, pick Azerbaijan because you can start in the Euro Quals and try and defy the odds (if thats possible)

So either Burundi, Faroe Islands or Azerbaijan.... I'd say Azerbaijan

Sorry for the delay andy, as i said i was away for the weekend. If you want a challenge, go for the Faroe Islands. If you want less of a challenge, but for it still to be hard, Go for Burundi. Or if you want a challenge you can get really in to, pick Azerbaijan because you can start in the Euro Quals and try and defy the odds (if thats possible)

So either Burundi, Faroe Islands or Azerbaijan.... I'd say Azerbaijan

looked into the current fifa world rankings... faroe islands are 198th, burundi 126th and azerbaijan are 138th. will take your advice and go for azerbaijan....

what reputation as a manager do i start with

what date do i start on

what leagues do i load

many thanks

andy

looked into the current fifa world rankings... faroe islands are 198th, burundi 126th and azerbaijan are 138th. will take your advice and go for azerbaijan....

what reputation as a manager do i start with

what date do i start on

what leagues do i load

many thanks

andy

I started with International, Just the premiership (To make it run faster), so i started in July 07. I had to load all players from Montenegro, so I recommend doing that for Azerbaijan

Damn I just played a season with Fiji! I won the OFC Nations cup aswell! put me up for Liberia (If it's ok I will post how I'm doing with Liberia and Fiji)

Thats fine, but you'll only be counted in the league thing as Liberia :)

By the way, make sure you have Man City's Alex Tarweh Nimely in the team. He is immense

I started with International, Just the premiership (To make it run faster), so i started in July 07. I had to load all players from Montenegro, so I recommend doing that for Azerbaijan

cool... thanks for the quick response.... just starting now as day off for the week... will keep you posted through the career.

andy

Just about to get stuck into the World Cup Qualifiers, my last 3 friendlies were with Andorra, Greece and Bulgaria

Andorra 1 - 4 Montenegro - Delibasic with 3 and Fatic with one

Greece 2 - Montenegro - My first loss :( Vucinic scored for me

Montenegro 1 - 1 Bulgaria - Delibasic scored another for me in this friendly, and Berbatov scored a penalty for them

Next 3 games are WCQ games. Liechtenstein, Finland and Germany. Should be good

Just played my first 3 World Cup Qualifiers.

Montenegro 1 - 1 Liechtenstein (Expected to win that game)

Finland 4 - 2 Montenegro (Expected to Draw that game)

Montenegro 1 - 0 Germany (Expected to get trashed that game. I'll upload a screen later as imageshack is being annoying)

This currently puts me 4th in the group, behind Germany in 3rd, Finland in 2nd and Bulgaria in 1st

Next up is a friendly against Brazil (*gulp*) and one against Colombia.

I've also moved from 116th in the world rankings to 89th because of my Germany win. Which was "More places than any other nation"

Archived