Can anyone with MLS experiance give me an answer on this.

I'm playing as LA Galaxy in the MLS, i've 2 desingate players Beckham & Donovan

I just sold donovan, but when i tryed to buy a replacement striker it will not give me the option to

offer him desingate status?? does the board decide this based on the players rep?

or will i ever beable to have 2 desingate players in my team again.

I'm hoping that a more experienced MLS player can answer this, but here's my experience so far - same team, same situation.

I believe that Donovan still counts as a "Player whose MLS rights are held by Los Angeles," and is therefore still consuming your Designated Player slot even though he isn't on your roster.

You can verify this by going to "Player Search", select "Nationality - American" and tick the box that says "Players whose MLS rights are held by Los Angeles".

(Incidentally, this is a useful thing to do if you waive a player, and nobody else claims him .. you may well be able to offer him a contract again at a later date. . I've had several on-and-off players that way.)

For this purpose, however, note that Donovan still shows up.

I believe that you will be able to offer a new Designated Player contract when Donovan disappears from that list. However, I'm not sure when that will happen.

I think, when I sold Donovan, that his contract at the time ran through December 2008, and I sold him in July of 2008 to an English team. In my game, it is now March of 2009, and Donovan still shows as a "player whose rights are held by Los Angeles", so I'm not sure what it takes for the team to release his rights.

There are no options to further release Donovan, e.g., I know when he left San Jose, they explicity had to take an action to release his MLS rights, and that's how he wound up at the Galaxy ... but I don't see any way to take that action, and I'd been hoping it would automatically expire at the end of his old contract.

FYI, only David Beckham is technically a Designated Player in real life. Landon Donovan was making $900,000 before that rule came into effect so he's grandfathered into it, thus he's not a DP. And the Galaxy only have 1 designated player slot which is used on Beckham. This is assuming that SI have properly coded the MLS.

And btw to all non-Yanks playing in MLS. I know that the Galaxy are probably the only team you've heard of but they're honestly garbage lol. You'd have more fun playing a team that isn't the circus act of our league. They want to be the Chelsea of MLS but don't take into account the fact that there is a salary cap. They pay the majority of their wages to 3 or 4 players.

cause the Yank's make it so hard! What's with the 1st draft pick etc.

Only thing harder than the draft is understanding how so many people can't comprehend it.

---> Players A through Z are eligible for "the draft." Round 1: Team A picks one of these players first. Team B picks one of these players second. Team C picks one of these players third. Team D picks one of these players fourth. And so on, and so on until each round has been completed.

Well if you download the latest weegie update (22/08/08), they will be less crap than they have been before (because all the MLS teams have been updated) :) but I have managed to make them a good team, (due to the other teams being so stupid to release players like Eddie Robinson, Robbie Rogers, Adam Cristman and Tyrone Marshall). If you want to make them a good team you could also use the worthless draft picks, because the young "talented" players in the draft is so bad, that maybe 2 of the players each year are worth getting, but then again, you can better players by simply picking the players released by the other MLS clubs.

And btw to all non-Yanks playing in MLS. I know that the Galaxy are probably the only team you've heard of but they're honestly garbage lol. You'd have more fun playing a team that isn't the circus act of our league. They want to be the Chelsea of MLS but don't take into account the fact that there is a salary cap. They pay the majority of their wages to 3 or 4 players.

I have heard of all the teams even though I live in Denmark, because sometimes I can watch the mathes on television late in the night :) and scandinavian teams sometimes signs players that have been playing in the MLS like Jean Philipe Peguero, Danny Califf and Robbie Russell (but he has just left Denmark for Real Salt Lake and I hope he never comes back, he was the reason why Jean Philipe Peguero was injured for nearly 2 years and he has never fully recovered and will first play football / Soccer again next spring if Brøndby are lucky, too bad his contract expires 30/06 2009).

i'm somewhat aware of how the drafts and salary cap systems work in the NFL & NBA from playing franchise/career modes over the years on the respective games, and watching them irl. it wouldn't be too complicated to learn the MLS, but wether its worth it or not is the question.

fyi i only picked Galaxy because of how bad they are even with Beckham. we're made aware of their bad performances over here.

Juast finished my first season in the MLS, was a bit different but enjoyed it.

Major headache tho, (and who ever at SI thought of this needs slapped around the head with a big fish) :)

Get a message saying that there is 156 players available for the draft, so i have a look at them to see which ones i want to

scout only to find that all 156 have been added to my scouts assignments list to watch per match, and not just 1 match. Its out of 100 times for each player, ffs 2,3 times i could understand but 100? and the only way to clear them is by clicking on each player and cancelling 156 times!!!!

p.s anyone out there who knows how to clear list, with out clicking and cancel 156 times let me know :(

I think, when I sold Donovan, that his contract at the time ran through December 2008, and I sold him in July of 2008 to an English team. In my game, it is now March of 2009, and Donovan still shows as a "player whose rights are held by Los Angeles", so I'm not sure what it takes for the team to release his rights.

IIRC, an MLS club holds a player's rights for 2 years. But I *think* that's only if a player leaves on free transfer. I *think* that if he's sold, then a club doesn't get to retain his rights.

But that's IRL, not FM.

Ive always avoided the MLS simply cause the Yank's make it so hard! What's with the 1st draft pick etc. why can'y they just have a proper football league :)

What's "a proper football league"? Mexico is organized differently than Scotland, which is organized differently from England, etc.

Anyway, I think with the changes that encouraged MLS clubs to establish youth academies, you're going to see the draft de-emphasized in coming years.

In response to the original post, SI coded the game so that each team could only have one DP slot. Donovan and Ruiz technically weren't DP's as they were grandfathered in (along with Eddie Johnson) as they made over the maximum salary before the DP rule came into being. Although in real life teams can trade DP slots (Chivas USA, for example, traded theirs to the Red Bulls last year for Amado Guevarra) for a set amount of time, I imagine such a thing would be very difficult to program.

Yes, MLS is a very complicated league (to put it mildly) what with the roster allocations (full and partial) and financial incentives (the worst performing teams are given money at the end of the year in the hopes of signing better players) and the various player status (developmental, senior developmental, etc.) but hopefully that will all change next year when the Bargaining Agreement with the Player's Union comes up for renewal. America is finally producing players at a level where playing overseas is a real possibility, so the league is going to have to make changes in order to secure our best youth players will start out in the league (a developmental contract only pays about $13,000 a year, so many players will skip the MLS draft to sign for foreign teams, or sign with a USL team that can pay more) while luring talented foreign players.

Archived