Building A Team

Hi

I am starting a new game with Newcastle , I am doing quite well at the moment , I have signed 8 players who are all very talented , between the ages of 21- 24 with one being 28

Just wondering , if you joined a club , how would you start of by building a team

I have bought in 8 players who are very good , and will build on that next season by brining in 4 or 5 top players , then the structure if built from there

How would u do it ???

Thanks

I always start up front and work backwards, seems strange, but if I can score goals I have more chance of winning than if I can defend really well, but not score many goals lol.

I would start ST, then wingers, AMC, DMs, CDs, GK and WB's would be last, only because the wingers should be good enough to make up for it.

I'm a bit like Wenger in the way I always plan for the long term and sign youngsters and bring them through slowly. I keep signing new youngsters and sell players when decent bids come in, once the youngsters start to get a bit older and my squad has a decent range of ages I get some pretty good results.

Generally, I try to first cut out the deadwood from the reserves and first team who I know will not get games. Sometimes I will also transfer list good rotation/first team players if I feel they're on wages not justified by their relative ability. After I trim the squad, I try to bring in one player who will contribute consistently to the first team (I don't have much of a transfer budget to do more at a club like West Ham). Then, I'll focus on finding a bargain here or there (younger players from second divisions), who will provide backup at a low wage and who may develop further with time. Finally, if I have any money remaining, I will try to bring in as many u-18 players as possible, looking for raw physical qualities (acceleration, pace, strength) in the hope that I can train up everything else.

Regardless of transfer budget, I usually will not bring in more than two players who will contribute immediately to the first team in any single window, mainly because I've had some horrible times with squads not gelling after frequent transfer activity.

This strategy - if not particularly spectacular or exciting - has seen me have some fairly respectable and consistent results.

What do you do about team blending

What would u do if you bought 8 players in your first windows , and over the season they blended very well

The you bought in 5 more to push for champions league place , would they just blend eventully ??

What do you do about team blending

What would u do if you bought 8 players in your first windows , and over the season they blended very well

The you bought in 5 more to push for champions league place , would they just blend eventully ??

If you've bought 8 players in one window and they've blended as well as you suggest, then count yourself lucky. Without in-depth knowledge of the players you brought in, how you used them, and other circumstances, I can't offer you a lot of advice, except try to do what you did last window. Perhaps you bought players who settled quicker because they all speak the language, have played in the league before, or have played with each other before. Perhaps your tactics are so expertly tailored that they got the most out of a squad that may, in fact, not have gelled completely yet. Perhaps the quality of the players you bought was so above league standard that a couple of terrific individual performances could cancel out below-average teamwork. Perhaps it was sheer luck.

However, you're probably trying your luck bringing in another 5. Who knows, maybe it will work out. But (again, in my experience), buying a high number of players usually results in initial under-performance amongst new and old players alike, regardless of morale or tactical tweaking.

I tend to look at my squad in terms of weaknesses. Whichever position is my weakest, thats where I start. I build a list in terms of which positions need better players. When done it would be set out like...

Strengthen ASAP

DR, DC, FC.

Strengthen after the positions above

DM, AMR.

Strenghten last if possible ie The right player for the right money.

AML, MC.

Second season at Werder Bremen I blew my entire summer transfer budget on a 2nd AMC to partner my key player there in my tactic, ignoring the other areas of my team that obviously needed strengthening. Then, having got the one man I really wanted I scrabbled around for the rest of the summer selling off fringe players to fund moves for the players I needed to fill those other gaps. In the end that proved hugely successful since my final signing was a striker who netted 42 goals in 43 games to lead us (along with the 2 AMCs of course) to the title :)

i start with selecting my formation.. finding my weak links in the starting XI.. sign better replacments and then sign young(ish) players that could get in to the XI of an average club in my league to boulster the squad.

eg liverpool team sold the fullbacks since they arent required for my formation, sold fringe/ weak players like pennant, kuyt (after i signed villa) ect.. moved the older players to my B team (which i added in editor to work with players like hammil, anderson, hobbs ect..).. left me with 8 key players/subs (the spine of the team) carragher, agger, skrtel (no1 wanted him and hes fairly decent), mascherano, lucas (pontentially excellent), gerrard, alonso, torres.. used my original monies to fill my XI with villa, silva, micah, quaresma,akinfeev and used the money from the fringe players to add 7 subs for rotation like -> alex, donk, michael johnson, bale, modric (not good enough for top 4 but would be the better players in mid table sides)

i never have more than 8 subs because of the 7 subs rule which comes in 2nd season and like to rotate and keep all players happy.

It seems I'm one of only few people who concentrate on the back first.

Got promoted with WBA and in the first year I basically had to sign who I could afford, but already there my 2 main signings were a DC and a SC.

In the second year, with some more money to spend, I signed a GK (the one before cost me years of my life), a DC, a DR and another SC.

Next year I'll bring in a DMC and AMC and see what areas are left or what opportunities arise.

Don't forget about loans... a great way to find talent and save some cash. Better to get a guy on loan than to commit money to a guy that you might not be 100% in love with. It's tough to move contracts if you want to rid yourself of someone in the future.

I generally start by looking if my current squad has what it takes to do what I want. If not, I seek reinforcements. I don't care if it's the back or the front, if there are reinforcement needed, I look for them.

Youngsters will always be signed as well, as I like developing my players.

Archived