Steven N'Zonzi as a Centre Back?

In my 5th season with Q.P.R I have signed this beast with the intention of changing him to a CB possibly a ball playing one.

His first season for me he did well as a deep lying playmaker set on defend sitting in front of the back 4 cutting out attacks from the opposition and playing short simple passes to my more creative players.

Does anyone think he could make a top prem centre back after retraining him to a CB and if so would he make a better stopper or a cover defender? as i usually play one of each

Steven_N_Zonzi_Overview_Attributes.jpg

I think he is a better DM than a CB. By moving him into the back 4 rather than playing in front of you lose some of the benefits his creativity and flair provides, and I know you talk about more creative players, but he is a well composed and creative passer in his own right.

In my personal opinion I would have concerns playing him in a back 4 due to his lack of heading ability, although his jumping does help that to some extent, but cutting out aerial balls is a big job for your CB's.

He will be very will positioned which is useful, his first touch, passing and composure, show he is good on the ball, and should be able to spread it around with some success given the space. While this would be better exploited in front of the back 4. Playing as a ball playing defender could be useful, depending on your tactics, whether or not the route 1 ball is effective for you, or if you like to hold it up.

I would play him as a covering defender. Playing deeper will give him more time on the ball, and his positioning, pace and acceleration and anticipation should help him mop up. If he was set to close down, he wouldn't maintain his position as much and if he is running forward from the back 4 you have to consider his lower work rate and his readiness to get back again.

I think he could be a good centre half I would have reservations about saying a top prem centre back.

Remember that's personal opinion and without knowledge of the football you produce.

I think you underestimate just how good on the ball he is, which people tend to do a lot with destructive midfielders (I didn't realise how good Tiote is rated at passing until I was looking for replacements). First touch, technique and passing 15, creativity 16, he's a great option as a defensive midfielder who can also create a bit and would be the ideal partner for a really creative deep lying playmaker.

He could conceivably play as either a covering defender or a stopper. He is strong, brave and fairly aggressive, but he'd probably be better as a covering defender due to his excellent anticipation, composure, positioning and quickness. It depends who your other centre back is really.

I think you underestimate just how good on the ball he is, which people tend to do a lot with destructive midfielders (I didn't realise how good Tiote is rated at passing until I was looking for replacements). First touch, technique and passing 15, creativity 16, he's a great option as a defensive midfielder who can also create a bit and would be the ideal partner for a really creative deep lying playmaker.

He could conceivably play as either a covering defender or a stopper. He is strong, brave and fairly aggressive, but he'd probably be better as a covering defender due to his excellent anticipation, composure, positioning and quickness. It depends who your other centre back is really.

Tiote was a beast for me as a DLP in the DMC spot :cool:

I think you underestimate just how good on the ball he is, which people tend to do a lot with destructive midfielders (I didn't realise how good Tiote is rated at passing until I was looking for replacements).

I could do with some 'destructive midfielders'.

I just started started playing him as a ball playing defender cover alongside Boyata as stopper. He is only compotent atm as a Centre back but his ratings seem to be improving the more he plays there.

funny, i actually do the opposite, i take ball playing defenders and i convert them to M©'s so i can mark specific opposition midfielders during big games

for everton in FM11, i retrained heitinga/jagielka as M©'s, and for roma in FM12 i retrained bovo/chivu as M©'s

This is exactly the type of player that I think needs to be more common at centreback. Often I think there is a pre-occupation with tall and strong CBs who can win headers and muscle strikers off the ball. Admittedly, that is important, but when you look at some of the most dangerous attacking players, it often isn't their aerial ability that poses the most threat. Cumbersome giants at the back are prone to having rings run around them by nifty dribblers and tight passers.

N'Zonzi has the jumping and heading to be competent against these short strikers, whilst a second CB with more dominance should be set to mark any true aerial threats. Perhaps the only downsides technically to his game is his poor tackling and average marking, but given his pace and good positioning, he would probably be able to recover well if his man got away for a second. This is especially true given his good anticipation.

Good pace means he will also match quicker attackers, whilst not sacrificing strength. Overall, I reckon he would be good. He'd definitely have a player like Darren Bent in his pocket, but would struggle against the likes of Rooney.

Obviously he'd make a good centre back, but playing him there would waste some of his other good qualities too. I'd use him either as a holding central midfielder where he could cover a lot of ground, get forward even and prompt attacks, but stop short of actually getting into the box and trying to score, or as a Real Madrid style Makelele role, where the midfield is so attacking, and he's the solitary guy sweeping up from behind them all.

Archived