Moronic Managerial Appointments - Man United and Martin Petrov

Manchester United obviously have great managerial heritage - Matt Busby and Alex Ferguson; so where does Martin Petrov fit into this!?

In the game SAF retired at the end of the 13/14 season, and was replaced by Andre Villas-Boas - after he was sacked by Chelsea. AVB lasted until March 2017, before Petrov was promoted from Youth Coach. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't see any managerial ability in him what so ever - no man management, no JPP/JPP, no tactical awareness, no talent what so ever; not even notable determination that would indicate potential progression. How the hell has the AI made such a mess of this! The guy doesn't even have a full manager ability bar!!

To add to this, and will probably explain a great deal; I was playing the Carling Cup final against this Petrov managed United side, before I realised who was at the helm, which started with J.Hernandez right midfield, and followed with Chris Smalling playing upfront for the last half hour when Hernandez was still out on the right, and other visible attacking options available to him! :lol:

I foresee the demise of Manchester United.. if he isn't sacked before the season is out.

6883628755_09f20576b5_b.jpg

Martin Petrov (Overview_ Profile) by TRichardsss, on Flickr

england manager on mine is roberto manchini

there are few premier league players managing clubs in my game.

This isn't that far fetched in terms of AI appointments, he's a high reputation manager being appointed; and I'm sure the ex premier league players are high reputation too, but I doubt that Martin Petrov is, and shouldn't have enough to really warrant managing such a high rep. club.

Nothing there strikes me as out of the ordinary to be honest, although I'd have to look at their respective managerial profiles.

-Brad Friedel is a decent Goalkeeping coach at Blackburn in my game. Although his first job in mangement being at a Premier League team like West Brom may seem as a suprise, he'd have a respectable reputation due to him being a Premier League player for forever and a day, and would probably have decent coaching abilities depending on the save.

-Danny Murphy is the manager of Bury in the BSP in my save. Again, will have decent reputation from being a Premier League player, so not that strange that he'd get a job at a low PL team like West Brom if his PA suited management.

-Kevin Phillips retired at end of 12/13. Realistic appointment if he ever goes into management irl, Sunderland legend surely.

-Sinisa Mihajlovic managing Man City. Nothing out of the ordinary there at all, I've seen him manage Man U in previous saves.

-Karl Robinson currently managing bottom of the Championship Nottingham Forest, after being sacked from MK Dons and Scunthorpe respectively. Widely regarded as one of the brightest young managers in the Football League, even if he does look a bit like a skinny James Corden.

Probably the most out of the ordinary managerial position in my save at the moment in the Premier League would be Chris Riggott managing Newcastle United. He's been there since end of 13/14, after Pardew was sacked in the first season, followed by Alan Shearer; both of whome couldn't keep Newcastle in the Premier League, and the latter failing to send them up first season in Championship. Riggott has done a decent job there, winning the Championship in his first season, 14/15 and maintaining their place in the PL since, despite the side looking a shadow of what it does at the start of the game.

How this a bug?

Just because its Man Utd does not mean the chairman/woman is immune from appointing the wrong manager. They've done it in the past, they'll do so again.

In general, I agree. If Petrov is a terrible manager, he'll get sacked and he'll be replaced. As this is a simulation, there needs to be some room for poor appointments.

The question is whether this happens too frequently, if the system is currently set up in such a way that managers of low-ability are able to "fail their way to the top" due to excessive emphasis on reputation when the AI should, to some degree, be giving some consideration to staff CA.

Right now, there is a somewhat related bug with international management. National FAs ignore existing talent and instead spawn a terrible, low-CA regen to appoint. Over time, these terrible regens take over international management and, since one of them usually ends up beating the others in a major international tournament, that terrible regens' resulting reputation boost causes him to enter into the pool of likely club appointments, potentially affecting the game at the club level as well.

I'd mention this in the bugs forum if you have a save from before Petrov was hired, as it's definitely worth taking a look at.

Archived