Nerd question...DDR3 1600 or 2133mhz benefits for FM

I'm about to buy some new DDR3 RAM. My motherboard can handle speeds up to 2133Mhz. My CPU is an i5-2500k so after reading a few articles it states the sweet spot for the i5 is 1600Mhz speed memory, over this speed there is very little performance gain except for a few applications that like it (video encoding/compression, engineering software)

So is it worth getting the extra speedy RAM@2133 or getting the 1600 for FM? Anyone have any experience?

RAM does very little for FM, more RAM won't make FM any faster. Just have the best processor you can get.

RAM is very important to a smooth running FM, where do you think all that data is goes once it has been processed?

As for the OP stick with the 1600, not worth the expense going above that frequency if the most taxing think your PC does is run FM.

RAM is very important to a smooth running FM, where do you think all that data is goes once it has been processed?

All that data use only about 1GB of RAM. Once you have enough RAM, any more will not make FM faster. It's all about the processor, my friend.

Benchmarking thread confirms that RAM has little effect on its own.

Combine an overclocked high end CPU with good RAM, good quality other components you can get it running very well.

After the CPU and sufficient RAM @ 1333 the effect of the rest is minimal. There will be a difference but its the laws of diminishing returns that dictate the effect of the rest.

All that data use only about 1GB of RAM. Once you have enough RAM, any more will not make FM faster. It's all about the processor, my friend.

More like 2GB actually. In fact, I've seen its RAM usage go up to 3GB if there are a lot of leagues and players loaded and the saved game has progressed through a number of seasons.

FM12 is more RAM intensive than previous versions.

More RAM will only be useful if you are multitasking while playing FM. If you just playing FM and nothing else, I guess 2GB RAM would suffice.
Not really, as Windows consumes tons of memory itself... 4 GB is a good amount to have nowadays.

Yes, you're right. Playing on a mac, so I don't have this problem.
OS X uses a lot of RAM as well (it actually uses similar caching algorithms used in Windows Vista and Windows 7 by aggressively pre-fetching things into memory).

2 GB isn't enough nowadays... 4 GB is good.

Sorry to hijack, but...

My PC spec is AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ (1800 Mhz), 2GB DDR RAM, Nvidia GForce 6600GT on WinXP SP3. (Yes, I know it's old. 6-7 years but it's still functioning well).

Would an extra GB of RAM do a recognizable difference?

Right now I play with 1 league playable (Denmark) and 5 leagues viewable (the big five) and I'm in 2021. And a large database.

Sorry to hijack, but...

My PC spec is AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ (1800 Mhz), 2GB DDR RAM, Nvidia GForce 6600GT on WinXP SP3. (Yes, I know it's old. 6-7 years but it's still functioning well).

Would an extra GB of RAM do a recognizable difference?

Right now I play with 1 league playable (Denmark) and 5 leagues viewable (the big five) and I'm in 2021. And a large database.

I'm afraid the single-core processor would limit your FM12 speed, regardless of RAM. It's about time to upgrade to a quad-core.

Athlon 64 3000+ :D Ancient hardware!

I think you will get a small boost (if your motherboard supports more than 2 GB of RAM! I'm not sure many do if it's that old), but then again, it's going to be "very slow" instead of "very very slow".

If you can get the appropriate RAM modules for your motherboard, and it supports it, go ahead - it will be a cheap, quick and dirty investment.

Ancient? - give me a break. It's not like it's a win95 PC ;)

A new RAM module wouldn't cost more than 30£.

Hmm... What to do? One expert says don't bother and another says go for it...

The finances isn't for a pc upgrade in the near future, so it's either more RAM or more beer :)

Or you could just buy lots of beer and hope being drunk will give you in the impression your computer is running quicker than it is :D

Actually a very good suggestion :) Unfortunately at one point I'll sober up and realize the girl ain't that sexy and the pc is slow again :(

To the others - thanks for the advice. I think I'll go for the RAM and hope for a little more speed...

I could do with a bit of help too as I'm far from a computer genius, don't want to start a new thread about this, but, I hope the OP doesn't mind me posting my question in here.

I have an Intel core duo T6600 @2.20ghz Processor

4gb Ram

220 gb free on my © drive.

How many leagues would you say I can run and have a game with longevity? I want a bigger game experience but at the minute just go with 3 big leagues maximum. Would I be able to have more with this laptop?

There is never an accurate way to answer a 'how many leagues' questions, what is acceptable to other could be mind-numbingly slow for you.

With add/remove leagues you can fine tune your game to your desired speed, it might take a couple of seasons but you will eventually find the sweet spot.

Ancient? - give me a break. It's not like it's a win95 PC ;)

A new RAM module wouldn't cost more than 30£.

Hmm... What to do? One expert says don't bother and another says go for it...

The finances isn't for a pc upgrade in the near future, so it's either more RAM or more beer :)

You're right - it's a Windows 98 PC. :) The processor is over 8 years old, and Windows XP was only around 2 years old when that processor came out...

And I thought my 5-year-old laptop was slow!

Even though it might be somewhat old to some it still plays FM12, EU3 Chronicles, D&D online and SimCity4 without any problems (almost). :cool: (Yeah, I know it's not that cool)

Regarding old laptops I have a laptop from the summer 2002. I've given up on it - now that's one freaking slow machine. It can't even handle AVG12 and Firefox :eek:

Archived