Second Hand Copy (registration key already been used)

Apologies if this is in the wrong section or anything, and I did have a quick search to find the answer but couldn't find anything.

I bought FM12 second hand on Ebay but it comes up saying the Steam activation code has already been activated when I go to install it. Does this mean that you can only use the code once in total, or will it just mean that the seller has still got the game installed?

I know that second hand shops like CEX sell FM12, so would I be right to assume that the person still has it installed?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section or anything, and I did have a quick search to find the answer but couldn't find anything.

I bought FM12 second hand on Ebay but it comes up saying the Steam activation code has already been activated when I go to install it. Does this mean that you can only use the code once in total, or will it just mean that the seller has still got the game installed?

I know that second hand shops like CEX sell FM12, so would I be right to assume that the person still has it installed?

You will not be able to use it. It can only be linked to one steam account, so basically he should not have sold it to you.

As far as i'm aware the code gets tied to your steam account when you use it meaning that unless you log on with the guy whose sold it to you steam account it wont be useable (would of thought that CEX wouldnt be able to sell this years as well due to the same issue ).

Ok thanks for clearing that up. I should've thought about this when I bought it I suppose, as I don't think it's even that much more expensive on Amazon etc.

So will it definitely not work even I ask him to uninstall it?

No as it will be tied to his Steam account.

I would ask him for a refund. You will not be able to use it, there is nothing you can do, as it is linked to his steam account.

I would tell him it is unusable and ask for a refund. If he refuses just push the issue with paypal stating the product does not work.

Well you can take a picture of the cd key and send it to SteamSupport asking to reset the password. They will reset the account and send the details on your email.

https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php

Be warned though, if he have any other games in the account they will all be sent to you... So he might knock on your door with a shotgun loaded, or just reset his account again...

Sorry to double post, but seeing as Neil is 'here', is there nothing SI can do about all the used FM12 copies on ebay, CEX etc? Is it not worth SI sending them an email/letter stating that used copies are not re-usable by another person? There must have been loads of people caught out by buying 2nd hand, and I know to face value it is not SI's problem, but more often than not I bet that conned person either ends up on here moaning that their game won't work (not saying this is what the op is doing - he isn't), or just doesn't buy another SI title again.

Ok thanks for the responses everyone. I'll demand a refund and buy it new in town (can't be bothered to download it on Steam with my horrendous connection!).

I agree with Dave in suggesting that SI should perhaps contact CEX and Ebay just to make them aware. I'm usually far from useless with these sorts of things in general and I assumed you'd be able to re-use a code if it had been unintalled on the original Steam account, so there are probably a fair few other suckers like me out there.

The other alternative is to somehow allow people just to purcharse registration keys. I'm stuck with a useless disk now and it'd take ages to download it on Steam, so having a way to buy a standalone code would be perfect.

Archived