MacBook Pro 13 inch OVERHEATING DURING FM12

When I am in the the FM12 menus, it works fine but when I go into a match, my MacBook starts overheating. There's no problem with the laptop, I bought it around 4 days ago. I was wondering is there any solution to this or something I have to stick with. Plus if I continue would it ruin or mess up my laptop.

Even on quite a good laptop I haven't been able to play on anything other than low quality 3D graphics, which is a bit annoying as it looks really good even with juts the medium setting. But it does the same thing as you in terms of overheating.

Of course they will, FM is intensive for both CPU and even GPU almost all the time... My 15 inch RF510 doesn't run very cool when I run the game for longer periods of time even though it has far superior cooling than a MBP 13...If you had the 15 inch you should expect better results, but with 13 just live with it.

Macs are made relatively well so it shouldn't bother the system too much for a while but it will decrease the life of the laptop almost inevitably. What you can do is put the fixtures to be fastest/least responsive so that processing times are shorter to decrease the load on the processor and decrease the graphics details to eliminate some of the load on the GPU. The other thing is - buy a cooling pad! CM Notepal would do the job - they are quite cheap and you can use it while playing games.

Download and run coretemp or hwmonitor and run them while playing the game for a few hours. Check what sort of temps you get. If you get something above 90, you should be worried.

When I am in the the FM12 menus, it works fine but when I go into a match, my MacBook starts overheating. There's no problem with the laptop, I bought it around 4 days ago. I was wondering is there any solution to this or something I have to stick with. Plus if I continue would it ruin or mess up my laptop.

put your macbook pro in the bin!!!!

I run temperature monitor programs while running FM on my win7 pc and the temps get into the 70s easily, sometimes hitting low 80s but thats rare.

This is "normal" for laptops, that is why there is so much money to be had in the laptop cooling tray market!

The cores will inevitably be hot...as long as they are under 90 all the time it's ok. But if the case starts heating up noticable, then you are in trouble as trapped heat kills motherboards, transistors, batteries and what not in the laptop. This is where a cooling pad is handy, to keep the case cool, it won't decrease core temps by more than 5 degrees, but it should decrease the amount of trapped heat by provdiding ventilation and cool air intake + heat dissipation by the metalic body. For that I had the two suggestions above.

My laptop gets a little warm when I play. Never really worried about it.

Yeh it may feel just warm on the outside but it can be quite hot at the chipset! The only way to know is to use a temperature monitoring program.

HW monitor also shows other temperatures, like motherboard, hard disk, RAM etc.

These ones will benefit most from the laptop cooling tray.

Download Speccy and use that to monitor your temperatures. All laptops run hot when they're working.

And sorry, but if it is really overheating (to the point that it exceeds safe operating temperatures of the components) then there is something wrong with your laptop.

Just because it's Apple doesn't mean it can't be crap. More the opposite, usually.

Raise the mac slightly, easy way is using a few pencils but you get the idea. Heat will then disappate a bit easier rather than be insulated by the deask you are on.

Ensure air vent is clear and clean from fluff

The cores will shut down if they reach a danger limit

The thing is, on my old dell laptop it worked a blast, no overheating, no problems at all. I used some temperature thing for mac and the temp was around 80/81. I guess I'll stop playing FM12 on my mac, i'll go play it on my old laptop. Thanks for the help

The thing is, on my old dell laptop it worked a blast, no overheating, no problems at all. I used some temperature thing for mac and the temp was around 80/81. I guess I'll stop playing FM12 on my mac, i'll go play it on my old laptop. Thanks for the help

That temperature is fine, nothing to worry about, just use it on a tray, any hard surface (eg TV dinner tray) that allows air to circulate under it a little, push the boat out and you can get a special tray with a fan in for under £20 but thats probably excessive for those temperatures.

• Administrators

Yeah make sure it's on a flat surface rather than say on your bed or something like that so the machine has a chance to get air cooling it. I personally use a cooling pad on my laptop just because a £15-30 pad could potentially extend the life of a laptop by a year or so. FM is quite an intensive game dependent on the system so just be sensible with it.

Good advice to monitor the temp anyway, just better to be safe than sorry really.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/13067588/Cooler-Master-Notepal-U1-14-inch-Laptop-Cooler-Black/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=cm+notepal+u1&urlrefer=search

This is exactly what you need. The smaller the laptop, the harder it is to cool down with powerful hardware, that is why your new MBP is overheating. 80 degrees is fine core-wise. Mine tops at about 79 although it is 15 inch. However, the chassis is the important bit. If you feel it is too hot, buy the above (or something like it), decrease processing detail and graphic detail and you are sorted.

Archived