Just qualified for WC 2014 with Jamaica

I just qualified for the 4014 WC with Jamaica with 2 games remaining in North American qualifying. The bad news is that a bunch of my key players have decided that they're going to retire in May 2014 since they can't find a club. Any way to at least convince them to wait until after the World Cup?

Don't go using FMRTE though that's just plain cheating I have my only left back retire after the group stages of a World Cup. In my opinion extending someone's career with the use of an editor would take away from anything you achieve at the World Cup. Saying that it is your game and you can play it how you want to.

Don't go using FMRTE though that's just plain cheating I have my only left back retire after the group stages of a World Cup. In my opinion extending someone's career with the use of an editor would take away from anything you achieve at the World Cup. Saying that it is your game and you can play it how you want to.

how is it cheating? in real life, even if the player would want to retire, the national manager would have the option of asking that player to postpone his retirement til after the world cup, and i do not know of any player who would want to retire before playing in a world cup, especially if they were a key player and even more so if it was for jamaica, a team who dont get there often. People who blindly say 'FMRTE is cheating, and you are a bad person for doing so' (even if you grudgingly say 'its your game play it how you want' at the end) are worse than the 'cheaters' for attempting to make people feel guilty for fixing a bug! I expect more from a moderator.

how is it cheating? in real life, even if the player would want to retire, the national manager would have the option of asking that player to postpone his retirement til after the world cup, and i do not know of any player who would want to retire before playing in a world cup, especially if they were a key player and even more so if it was for jamaica, a team who dont get there often. People who blindly say 'FMRTE is cheating, and you are a bad person for doing so' (even if you grudgingly say 'its your game play it how you want' at the end) are worse than the 'cheaters' for attempting to make people feel guilty for fixing a bug! I expect more from a moderator.

I never said he was a bad person and it is my opinion which is why I said in my opinion. On FM11 I had my only left back retire the day after the group stages for Mali, I didn't go downloading editors to get him to stay because I believe it is cheating and I am more than entitled to my opinion being a mod makes no difference what so ever.

I never said it begrudgingly either once again it is my opinion that if people want to edit things they can but I consider it cheating to use FMRTE. People blindly tell him to use it when he could just manage another team and give them contracts rather than risk corrupting his save.

To me this is a tough one, im in the camp of using FMRTE is cheating as your essentially altering the game world to gain an advantage, however this is a strange one as the players would wait till after the world cup, its your decision, if your manager of a club too sign them to crap deals for your ressies. would be my work around to it.

don't think of it as cheating. It's a bug that needs to be sorted out in future versions. No player in their right minds would retire before the World Cup. Saying that it's cheating to use a third party program to fix a bug is completely unfounded.

To me this is a tough one, im in the camp of using FMRTE is cheating as your essentially altering the game world to gain an advantage, however this is a strange one as the players would wait till after the world cup, its your decision, if your manager of a club too sign them to crap deals for your ressies. would be my work around to it.

I can see why someone would want to use FMRTE but I would prefer to sign them to my reserve team like you said. It would be good if there was an option to ask a player to delay their retirement until after a major tournament. I had my captain retire three days before the Copa Libertadores final because it crossed seasons.

Wonder if the OP is a manager of a club side as well.

don't think of it as cheating. It's a bug that needs to be sorted out in future versions. No player in their right minds would retire before the World Cup. Saying that it's cheating to use a third party program to fix a bug is completely unfounded.

Like I said I consider it cheating and that's why I chose not to go around editing my own players when something similar happened in my save.

Could be worth the OP posting this in the bugs forum to see if this sort of thing can be avoided in the future. Very annoying that there is no option to chat with the player and ask them to postpone their retirement until after the next tournament.

I am the manager of a club side as well; I am managing Middlesbrough. However, sincethe players have already set retirement dates, I seem to be unable to offer them contracts to play for my reserve team. Even if I could offer them contracts, I doubt that they would qualify for work permits, although I may be wrong about that.

Here's the thing....FM2012 isn't real life, its a game. The rules of the game (as coded by its creators) say OPs players retire before WC.

In a 'game theory' sense you'll without a doubt be going outside the accepted paramaters of the game (by editing) and be gaining quite an unfair advantage (lets be honest, I very much doubt you intend to postpone retirement's of players from all qualified nations) .

Whether it's cheating is a matter of semantics, can you really cheat yourself ....and if a tree falls in the woods...

Look at it the other way, surely the game is cheating you out of a fair chance at the World Cup by retiring your players before the World Cup begins. I would use FMRTE and extend the retirement date to the day after the WC Final. This would NEVER happen in real life, players always retire after an International tournament, never before (unless they werent picked of course!)

I'd also raise it in the bugs forum.

Like I said I consider it cheating and that's why I chose not to go around editing my own players when something similar happened in my save.

Could be worth the OP posting this in the bugs forum to see if this sort of thing can be avoided in the future. Very annoying that there is no option to chat with the player and ask them to postpone their retirement until after the next tournament.

Then what you're saying is unfounded. But I think we should we just leave it at "you think it's cheating, I think it isn't" instead of trying to convince each other.

People saying using FMRTE in this situation is cheating is pretty laughable honestly. just download it and fix the problem if you can actually stop people from retiring by using it. no sense ruining your game because of a bug. pretty sure they've only been to one world cup, ever... it's an accomplishment. finish it out and see how it goes.

Archived