BBC News : West Ham Olympic Stadium deal collapses

I'm glad the flaws in the bidding process are being exposed now. This hypothetical loan from Newham Council to West Ham, the running track requirement, the impact on Leyton Orient. I am still a bit puzzled by Spurs' involvement in it all, maybe they would have taken a free stadium (but were up front about ditching the track), but also maybe it's to ensure government funding for the redevelopment of White Hart Lane - Haringey Council wanted Spurs to foot the bill for all the improvements to the area because it was broke. That doesn't tie in with Newham, also broke, funding West Ham, and Boris, initially offering peanuts to help. I suppose the riots helped Spurs' case, Boris's next offer was a lot higher, Levy's doing his bit here - seems like the bidding process was like the World Cup bids where everyone was encouraged to bid but the decision had already been made so it wasn't a fair process.

Anyway, we'll see.. my suspicions are that Spurs will redevelop WHL (they already own a load of property around the area) but want the Olympic Stadium bid money back plus government assistance and assurances about the area.

Archived