FMFormation Interview with metal_guitarist

logov5.png

Hey Guys!

We recently approached metal_guitarist about doing a possible interview and gladly he accepted. If you don't know who he is, then shame on you ;) lol. metal_guitarist has been working hard all year to make a Football Manager 2011 Database Update. He accepted the offer of an interview and it is now ready for everyone to see :)

Hi Luke, thanks for letting us have the opportunity to interview you!

[Alberto] What made you start making Database Updates?

[MG]
Well I used to use the FM WeeGiE updates to keep my game updated, but then in April 2010 they stopped running, and after there wasn't really a standout update that caught my attention. The ones that were there when the transfer window started weren't as complete, or in as much detail as I liked, and I always thought that there was something else that could be done to them. In June 2010 one of the guys said he was going to stop updating and did anyone want to take over the file he'd started, so I took it over and it's just gone on from there really.

[Alberto] What is the hardest part of DB editing?

[MG]
For me it's having the concentration to keep plugging away entering the data. My concentration span is awful (oh look, a bird) and sometimes it takes a little longer to enter the data than I'd like.

[Alberto] So what do you do for a living that allows you to dedicate so much time to editing FM?

[MG]
Well when I started editing, I'd just finished Sixth Form college and was about to start job-hunting, and when no-one wants to take on an 18 year old IT technician, you tend to get a lot of time on your hands. This year though I enrolled on an IT apprenticeship and thankfully the transfer window fell around the time where I'd need to search for a work placement, and after a few months of hunting I finally on Friday 23rd was offered a job as an IT technician at a company called ip.access.

[Alberto] Was it hard to keep the high level of determination throughout the editing process?

[MG]
Not really. I've always set myself quite high standards, and with wally13's update doing so well on the SI forums, it just added to the need to make sure I've done a good job with the file. My update in the summer last year was voted the best on the SI forums with about 60% of the voters and that's a reputation I'd quite like to keep.

[Alberto] If you were to put yourself in the game, what team would you put yourself into?

[MG]
Either my local team Cambridge United, or my favourite club Manchester United.

[Alberto] What was your most enjoyable game on Football Manager 2011?

[MG]
For a saved game it'd be the one I've got going now really. My Man Utd team is doing extremely well approaching December in the first season, not lost or drawn a game and I've only conceded about 3 goals in all competitions. For a match, it'd have to be a game against Barcelona in the Nou Camp on a previous saved game in the Champions League semi finals. Lost the home leg 2-0, and then ran out 4-1 winners in the Nou Camp to go into the final.

[Alberto] What would you most looking forward to on Football Manager 2012?

[MG]
How they've improved the editor, and hopefully solved the annoying 'sort by squad number' problem which drives me mad. I'm also looking forward to the tone system, which if integrated correctly could work really well.

[Alberto] Do you use user-created skins, if so which ones are your favourites?

[MG]
I currently use a skin called 'Perfecto' from the SI forums created by a guy called 'Barkermush'. It's a really nice, clean skin and one of the best I've seen.

[Alberto] Who do you support?

[MG]
Manchester United and Cambridge United.

[Alberto] Who do you think will finish in the top 6 in the EPL this season?

[MG]
:

1st - Man Utd

2nd - Man City

3rd - Chelsea

4th - Liverpool

5th - Arsenal

6th - Tottenham

[Alberto] EPL Player to watch this season?

[MG]
As much as it pains me to say it, Sergio Aguero. That's one player I wish City had never bought. He's a fantastic talent and he's taken no time at all to adapt. From a Man Utd point of view, I think it has to be Tom Cleverley. Having watched him for a few years in the reserves and youths, to see him finally in the first team is great and I'm sure he'll establish himself as a regular for both club and country. Also keep an eye on Phil Jones. He'll captain club and country in the years to come.

[Alberto] Do you like any other sports?

[MG]
Rugby Union, and squash.

[Alberto] Where do you live?

[MG]
Cambridge, England.

[Alberto] What's your favourite part of FMFormation?

[MG]
I like the shoutbox at the top. It's much easier to talk via that than having to post in a thread and then refresh until you see the reply.

[Alberto] Did you enjoy your interview with Us?

[MG]
Yes I did
:)

[Alberto] And To wrap it all up... Would you rather be attacked by a horse sized duck or 50 duck sized horses?

[MG]
The second one.

Great updates, used one last year. Kind of wanted the CA/PA updates this season though.

Wouldn't a horse sized duck be easy to run away from? Duck sized horses would still be pretty quick. Guess theres not much they could do except kick you with their tiny hoofs though.

Archived