Old stadiums holding finals?

I have lower-league teams frequently move temporarily to IRL demolished stadiums whilst expansion work goes on. Not really a problem, but a bit of an annoyance to football anoraks like myself!

Southamptons St Mary's stadium held the Europa League final (2016) on my game. No joke. Great stadium but come on!!

Have seen a few other random ones like Ibrox holding champions league final 2015. Again great stadium but would never hold a Champions League final.

Have seen a few other random ones like Ibrox holding champions league final 2015. Again great stadium but would never hold a Champions League final.

Why not? Its a historic stadium and holds 50K. Stranger things can happen; why, they might hold the English FA Cup final in Wales.

Why not? Its a historic stadium and holds 50K. Stranger things can happen; why, they might hold the English FA Cup final in Wales.

This wouldn't happen as long as Platini is in charge of UEFA. He wants a capacity of 60,000+ and his aim is to have all finals in stadia thata re 70,000+.

This wouldn't happen as long as Platini is in charge of UEFA. He wants a capacity of 60,000+ and his aim is to have all finals in stadia thata re 70,000+.

but a mixture of platini not being in charge of UEFA for ever and the fact there is only 24 stadiums in europe over 60k and the AI rarely build new stadiums or expand current ones it would leave the same loop of stadiums for finals if its actually rated to host a final let it.

Currently, St. Mary's is eligible to hold the Europa League final and Ibrox is eligible to hold the Champions League final IRL.

I doubt that. don't get me wrong they are good grounds but Ibrox is the 3rd largest stadium in Scotland and St Marys is far too small. Even though they may be 'suitable' to hold finals they never would.

Intersetingly the Millenium stadium will hold the 2017 Champions League final in my game which is good. I have always been suprised that it has'nt before for real, especially considering how well it served as a replacement for Wembley recently.

I doubt that. don't get me wrong they are good grounds but Ibrox is the 3rd largest stadium in Scotland and St Marys is far too small. Even though they may be 'suitable' to hold finals they never would.

Intersetingly the Millenium stadium will hold the 2017 Champions League final in my game which is good. I have always been suprised that it has'nt before for real, especially considering how well it served as a replacement for Wembley recently.

Yeah I am shocked too, having been to both (Blackpool's Play off at Wembley and the 2 LDV Vans at Millennium Stadium) and I would say that the Millennium is the nicer stadium and makes a better atmosphere

Southampton did actually apply to have St Mary's the UEFA cup final stadium in 2005.

There's an element of truth to this. The actual criteria suggest that a stadium with a capacity of 8000 could host the CL final, which is clearly never going to happen. Common sense suggests that they will stick to the larger stadia.

Archived