AI and transfers - a new issue

I am an FM cheat - I admit it up front. However, my cheating isn't illogical and therefore I'd like to suggest that it has thrown up an AI weakness into stronger light.

I used the pre-game editor to give Spurs many of the best players, plus lots of cash to buy more.

The problem is that, by and large, the clubs that lose those players don't go out and replace them. The likes of Man U and Chelsea promote their youth players rather than use their shed-loads of cash to buy quality replacements. Even when I dish out £50M+ on Torres or Ronaldo, those clubs don't spend the money on good replacements.

It's another area where the game's AI with regard to transfer policy needs enhancing.

i dont see the point in cheating by giving u all the players and lots of cash, it take all the fun out of the came u should win the quadruple every season with for me would be boring, i like a challagne to get better and better each season, i bet if you started a game with out cheating u wouldnt be a very good manager.

Totally agree with your Al Transfers point happens in most of my games they sell there big boys and replace with unkowns, hopefully it will be improved in FM09

d-b - I wasn't actually asking your opinion on the former. FWIW I've been playing the game for almost 10 years and almost exclusively as a lower league manager. I just fancied a change and I'm using editors for the first time. I'm enjoying myself thank you, but my personal game is my business.

What is of relevance to the gaming community is the transfer issue that I raised and which you endorse. I'd be interested in further views on the AI transfer issue, not my personal savegame.

There are so many different perspectives on the "broken" transfer sytem.

- Replacing stars with below average players.

- Paying mass amounts for these below average players.

- Buying loads of good player son high wages and leaving them in the reserves.

I think it's safe to say that it just needs fixed icon_razz.gif

With regards to the issue you raise, I find it particularly irritating how easy I find it to pick up very good players for next to nothing yet the big teams flash the cash on average players.

E.g. at FC Bayern I sell Ben Arfa (who I picked up on a free) for £21m, Man Utd sell Carlos Tevez for £32m. To replace Tevez Man Utd bring in Elmander for £23m, so they made a profit of £9m and got a lesser player. I bought Gourcuff from Milan for £1.3m, making a profit of £19m and getting a player who was nearly as good as Kroos and better than Elamnder.

Perhaps i'm just a better wheeler dealer than Steve Coppell.

First off, I can't sy I agree with you on the issue of the AI not signing replacements. I signed Sebastian frey from Fiorentina whilst they also sold Mutu to Arsenal, at a total of £60mil. Before the transfer window shut, Fiorentina spent £38mil on Robert Enke (A direct replacement for Frey), Sebastian squillaci, Jean II Makoun and Rodrigo palacio (Direct replacement for Mutu).

So they didn't blow the whole £60mil but if you an sign two replacements plus a midfielder and defender and have money left over then i think thats just good business. Seems like the AI is pretty on the ball to me.

Secondly, I can't understand the ignorance and stupidity of people like damo_boro. The OP opens with 'I am an FM cheat' yet damo_boro being the narrow mided fool that he is still feels the need to launch an attack that reads much like all the other stupid posts before him. 'I don't see the point in cheating.....it makes the game boring.....you're a c**p manager..'

I don't cheat, but respect the fact that how you play the game is up to the individual, there are no rules. Wish people would stop being so obnoxious about it.

One thing I would say about the AI that annoys me is how predictable it is. i.e. Mutu always moves to Arsenal, Van der Vaart always gets unhappy at the start of the game and leaves, Pandev always leaves Lazio, AC milan always sign modric etc, etc, etc.....

in my save tottenham sld someone for 26 million, cant remember his name but they bought him for about 10, anyway a week later they smashed thier record transfer fee and bought someone for 24 million.

i know what you are saying about transfers though, in my other save ive barely looked at the premier league, anyway my friend came round and wanted to see how iverpool were doing (1st, 4th,3rd,1st) and they have pretty much the same team as before, in the first i think 2 players are different from the first season, and it is pretty much the same story with every top half premiership team.

couldn't agree more with you, the transfer ai urgently needs fixing. especially fo top clubs.

and just because soemtimes they do replace quality with quality doesn't mean it's all good cos more often than not they'll replace quality with youth players or middle class rubbish.

for a top club not good enough, by far.

it's one of the most importand things imo that needs fixing.

okay, so i started a game with fake players at Juve (giving them loads-a-money; i would never cheat with a real players game icon_smile.gif), and when i've made expensive signings, fiorentina, for example, signed a £15M striker within a week. there seemed to be loads of big money signings in this game (i have 4 nations loaded).

however, in my career game at arsenal, although i have never signed from a rival, there does seem to be an issue when players leave big clubs. my example is when liverpool got relegated in 2009/10 (with the same title winning side of 2007/08), i added another manager. obviously, most of their top stars had agreed deals, potentially loads of cash. but no.

i found that all the deals done before i arrived didn't increase the balance at all, and by selling reina and a few others (keeping gerrard and torres who wanted to stay), i was only then able to replace the big stars with lower premier league type players. i should have had nearly £100M to spend from the AI transfers before i joined, not sure if there were relegation wage cut clauses in place, but this example suggests that the AI can't handle the entire financial aspect of the game properly. big clubs going bankrupt in other peoples games also gives substance to this theory.

Here's another transfer thing. I used the editor to make a rival of mine into an AI manager. He got the liverpool job for a few years, and as I'd mistakenly maxed his ability and rep without realizing how much it would affect the game, they romped to the title by a light year for those few years, but I noticed how the squad was exactly the same. I even checked liverpools transfer history and not one transfer in was made. also I saw something on 05 where I was managing in the spanish segunda B and there was a turkish manager at another club who constantly bought compatriots despite not being able to play them due to non-eu player rules.

i dont see the point in cheating by giving u all the players and lots of cash, it take all the fun out of the came

Who cares? It's his game. The 'Mighty Than Thou' poster really get on my nerves.

Its a known problem. The AI in FM is abismal.

Archived