Improvements To Manager Creation

Am I the only one who finds it a bit too vague and lacking in depth when I create myself as a manager?

The in-game managers get in-depth biographical data yet you yourself are limited to less information than a Twitter Bio.

I think that by allowing users to input a lot more data the game could be enhanced greatly not just on a superficial and aesthetic manner but in a manner that impacts on how you play.

For example when creating myself I get the choice of two nationalities and no option for a place of birth:

I was born in Berlin Germany, to an English father, Scotish mother and I have a Maltese grandparent. So that's 4 not too ludicrous nationalities for me to consider. Looking at it in a practical manner the game could take this information into account. If Hertha Berlin are looking for a new manager they could consider me a "Berliner" (and no I don't mean a doughnut) and possibly prefer me to other managers with simliar reputations. The same could apply to national teams looking for managers or players wanting to work with fellow countrymen.

Languages are missing entirely with the game just assuming you know the first language of whichever nation you select for your nationality. Many nations have several widely spoken languages or communities of immigrants who have citizenship but still speak the language of their country of origin. The potential effects this could have in the game are immense with again certain nations and clubs rejecting/preferring you on the basis of the language barrier. Players and staff could refuse to join you and/or your current players become dissillusioned or struggle to settle.

A choice of one favoured club and no disliked staff or clubs is too few again. Disliking or liking clubs and staff could potentially affect your interactions with them in the game or their perceptions of you. If a manager knows you hold them in high regard they may be more likely to develop a friendship through the course of the game or the opposite if you are known to dislike them. This information could also be taken into account for the newspaper articles in game to make them more interesting and life-like.

Lastly and a bit off topic your wages as a manager are fairly pointless and I think this should be looked at. Things to spend your hard-earned wages on could be introduced to the game to make negotiating your pay more than just a case of vanity. Some of your acquired fortune could be used to pay for language courses (gaining your in-game manager a new language) or coaching badges (raising coaching stats). It could be invested back into the club which would be especially satisfying if you were a big time manager deciding to try and help your small, local club develop. You could also buy shares in your club to become a board member and have more influence in decisions over stadium expansions and the like. The other idea would be that you could open up academies (ala Glenn Hoddle) and use them as cash cows/feeder clubs.

They're just my ideas but I really think it's an area the game hasn't improved on and I think it could make for a far more dynamic experience. Love to hear your feedback.

i like your 2nd and 4th points which i would have to agree with,

but how would you implement the 3rd point ( favoured club) surely would just have to build up your rapport ( that the right word? ) with them such as taking their advice or ignoring it though i would like to see the friendships you can make expanded though .

The first point would that not mean the guys at SI would have to look at every club and country and programme in if they have any tendacies to hire/ buy playes from a nationality which would be cool but tricky to put in the game ( you could see newspapers in the EPL saying FA under fire to hire an english manger would be nice )

i like the idea of using the money you make as the manager to go on courses and learn different languages if in a foreign country but in real life wouldn't the club want you to learn the language and therefore pay for the expenses?

also i like the idea of buying shares in a club and taking over a smaller club, but that this is something that has been talked about a lot on this forum and a lot of people bash it and say that it is a managers game and not an owners game.

The point about limiting nationalities / languages does hinder those who have more than the standard, but I think it's in the game to stop people taking advantage of this and going overboard, saying they have 8 nationalities and speak 47 languages.

As for spending wages, this is going to open another can of worms! It has been discussed in many, many, many threads already and for is a terrible idea.

I'd like to see a playing history for myself too, If you choose Ex-International as your experience it gives you a random amount of caps and goals, but I would like to see what sort of clubs you played for before management because these clubs may consider you as a candidate after playing for them in the past. Its purely cosmetic but It may also add rival clubs to your history as if it says you played for Man utd then it would mean Man City would be very unlikely to want to offer you a contract.

I'd like to see a playing history for myself too, If you choose Ex-International as your experience it gives you a random amount of caps and goals, but I would like to see what sort of clubs you played for before management because these clubs may consider you as a candidate after playing for them in the past. Its purely cosmetic but It may also add rival clubs to your history as if it says you played for Man utd then it would mean Man City would be very unlikely to want to offer you a contract.

2 words: Mark Hughes :D

I like the idea of a manager place of birth (I think I've suggested it before). Would be quite nice to see a few media items mentioning me as a 'local manager' or something along those lines.

Yes, place of birth would be a good addition. It seems so obvious, I can't understand why they don't already have it.

The point about limiting nationalities / languages does hinder those who have more than the standard, but I think it's in the game to stop people taking advantage of this and going overboard, saying they have 8 nationalities and speak 47 languages.

What's wrong with users going overboard?

Yes, it makes things slightly easier. But does it matter? If someone wants to be able to speak all languages in-game, they shouldn't be stopped.

What's wrong with users going overboard?

Yes, it makes things slightly easier. But does it matter? If someone wants to be able to speak all languages in-game, they shouldn't be stopped.

I think at the beginning, knowing the language makes it easier to get a job in that country, but after when you're accomplished, you can pretty much take any job. I can easily get a job in China on semi-pro rep from the beginning because I know Chinese.

I think you should be able to at least choose a city of birth and be able to choose maybe 2-4 from the start (but thankfully my 2 nationalities already cover all the languages I know IRL :)). We should have the option whether to be fluent or just know the basics of the language too.

I think at the beginning, knowing the language makes it easier to get a job in that country, but after when you're accomplished, you can pretty much take any job. I can easily get a job in China on semi-pro rep from the beginning because I know Chinese.

Yes, but I don't think there's a need to limit the number of languages... Someone might simply know a lot of languages, or someone might simply want to make their game slightly-easier by knowing lots of languages.

Archived