How do i beat 4-4-2 classic?

Well, '4-5-1 with a DM' doesnt really tell us anything about your tactics apart from the formation. THe problem is neither does 4-4-2. When you say 'eats me alive' what do you mean? Where are you mainly getting beaten? There is no tactic that can beat 4-4-2 for example everytime, give us a bit more info on where your team is getting beaten and we will go from there :)

4-4-2 is not only the most common formation it's the 'easiest'. AI and human managers both seem to have things easier with a 4-4-2, think it's just a balancing issue.

As for how to deal with it... playing a 4-5-1 so defensive that you have a DM and ball winners in the middle, that AF better be world class or you are never going to score with any regularity, especially not against a 4-4-2. The wingers will help, more so if you play them higher up in the AM positions, but a lone striker in the middle is just too easy to completely shutdown imo.

I've never been a fan of the 4-5-1 personally, especially not in-game. So my bias would suggest going to a 4-4-2 yourself unless you absolutely lack the players to do so. But with what little you've said about your tactics, you are being ultra defensive. That generally doesn't work out so well.

4-4-2 is not only the most common formation it's the 'easiest'. AI and human managers both seem to have things easier with a 4-4-2, think it's just a balancing issue.

As for how to deal with it... playing a 4-5-1 so defensive that you have a DM and ball winners in the middle, that AF better be world class or you are never going to score with any regularity, especially not against a 4-4-2. The wingers will help, more so if you play them higher up in the AM positions, but a lone striker in the middle is just too easy to completely shutdown imo.

I've never been a fan of the 4-5-1 personally, especially not in-game. So my bias would suggest going to a 4-4-2 yourself unless you absolutely lack the players to do so. But with what little you've said about your tactics, you are being ultra defensive. That generally doesn't work out so well.

What roles should i use for 4-4-2?

Depends on your players... just pay attention to the attributes that roles highlight and that will give you a good general indicator how you should utilize them. But I can't really tell you how to play the team because I don't know the players involved.

The more thought you put into your players and what system they fit into and finding the right players to fill gaps the more successful you will be.

I am Juve 1st season, Celtic just trashed me 3-0. i am playing with 3 Ball winners in the middle 2 wingers and AF upfront.Not only here but on other saves 4-4-2 classic owns me.

Can't say I'm surprised, three players in the middle of the park more interested in winning the ball then doing something with it while when you do have the ball at the back you have a forward running away rather than towards the ball leading to you giving possession away most of the time.

In that formation your forward has to play a supporting role so your defence has a pass available and he needs to hold up the ball to give you an attacking platform.

Your midfield needs more variety and you need to decide how you want to attack. The classic way would be to keep one ball winning midfielder but the other two need to be supporting or support/attack or the alternative that could work is to give your fullbacks a lot more freedom to get forward.

Can't say I'm surprised, three players in the middle of the park more interested in winning the ball then doing something with it while when you do have the ball at the back you have a forward running away rather than towards the ball.

I used that to counter 4-3-1-2. At first it wansn't AF but CF with support, but then i read that advanced is better for 4-5-1.

I used that to counter 4-3-1-2. At first it wansn't AF but CF with support, but then i read that advanced is better for 4-5-1.

To make an advanced work in that formation you need possession in the opposition half with lots of balls being thread through to him. You don't have that with three ball winning MCs.

Typically an advanced would work well in a 4231 where the AMC sits in the hole controlling play and feeding the runs of the advanced.

EDIT

TBH I played in Italy on FM10 and a lot of teams use narrow formations - 442 (narrow diamond), 4312, 4231 (3*AMCs) & 4321. The easiest way to counter them is to go more man to man and play narrow yourself.

Anyone else?

basically what cougar2010 wrote mate.

you wont do well with defensive tactics, which 4-5-1 is!! try a 4-2-3-1, the game is more geared towards attacking play.

if that doesn't help look in the tactics and training forum

basically what cougar2010 wrote mate.

you wont do well with defensive tactics, which 4-5-1 is!! try a 4-2-3-1, the game is more geared towards attacking play.

if that doesn't help look in the tactics and training forum

I just did my 4231 got eaten alive. 6 CCC for them.Total domination on possession.I'm hopeless.

are you counter att, and/or playing offside and pushing high up?

i dont do these, i play with an att mentality but pull my defensive line down and reduce all players passing to mid short.

i have lots of success with the 4-2-3-1

are you counter att, and/or playing offside and pushing high up?

i dont do these, i play with an att mentality but pull my defensive line down and reduce all players passing to mid short.

i have lots of success with the 4-2-3-1

I was.I'll try your advice.

When I play the 4-5-1, I always have the two wingers attacking in the AM position, and my lone striker is always on support - either as a target man or deep lying forward. This makes it play like a 4-3-3 when you're attacking, which is what you want really.

I'd also look at making one of your central midfielders (including DM) attack, and one support, you don't want all three defending.

Having at least one of your fullbacks being an attacking, creative player who gets forward will help.

Archived