No seedings on the European cups knockout stages

On both the Champions League and the Europa League there aren't any seedings on the first knockout round after the group stage while IRL the first placed team from the groups are seeds in the draw, anyone else noticed this or it's just in my game?

I've never paid attention to that but I'm sure the game takes care of that 1st vs 2nd rule in drawing.

Technically I'm quite sure UEFA don't call it "seeding" anymore... Seeding is just used for Qualifiers and Group Stages. Also because club coefficients don't play a role in Knockout stages, as it's the Group Stage ranking that makes it.

So you can have a Top Seeded club being runner-up to a Pot 3 club topping the group, thus having an Unseeded club "seeded"... (I hope it makes sense)

I've never paid attention to that but I'm sure the game takes care of that 1st vs 2nd rule in drawing.

Technically I'm quite sure UEFA don't call it "seeding" anymore... Seeding is just used for Qualifiers and Group Stages. Also because club coefficients don't play a role in Knockout stages, as it's the Group Stage ranking that makes it.

So you can have a Top Seeded club being runner-up to a Pot 3 club topping the group, thus having an Unseeded club "seeded"... (I hope it makes sense)

I know that coefficients don't play a part on that draw.. maybe seedings wasn't the best word for it but english is not my first language.

I just meant to ask if it splits the first placed teams from the second placed teams apparently it does though it doesn't say that in-game which lead me to think it was a free-for-all draw.

Although it doesn't say so in-game, and the 'drawing' teams seem to be in no particular order, in my last 3 first round games I have always played a team that was runner up in another group and isn't from my country.

It's a small sample size, I agree, but pretty conclusive from my own experiences.

Archived