Goals from long throws

Just wondering how many goals you guys have scored from long throws? I've got a player with decent long throws (17) and I've tried a few set ups but I don't remember any goals directly from long throws. So how many do you guys generally get a season?

I bought Gunnarson from Coventry hoping to score the few odd goals from throw ins but as many complained, I never did score, at least pre 11.3 patch.

Since then, I scored 2 goals from competitive play (a few more in friendlies), but the side benefits were a few penalties or corners. It is useful, but not too effective, which is :thup:.

It also help that if you have a few giants in your team. My striker is 196cm with jumping 19, central defender 185-190cms, so you have to be fair. If you don't have players that could benefit from long throw, it won't be useful.

Interestingly, AI never scored against me using long throw either!! So far, its fair game to me on this topic, but mostly just a waste of time.

I had Joe Dudgeon on loan at Hereford last season, he has a "long flat bullet throw", he's just not very good at it :/

I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to make him throw it like Delap, I had his individual focus on throw-ins in training, etc.

But I just couldn't stop him from taking every damn throw in near the opposition penalty area. And I couldn't stop every single one of my forward players from congregating around the penalty spot/six yard box even though Dudgeon couldn't reach the edge of the six yard box without a bounce!.

I eventually dropped him and played Werling instead, attacking throw-ins meant something then.

Good to hear other peoples experiences, I've gone back to just setting my full backs to do the long throws and setting them to throw short. It won't get me many goals, but at least I keep possession rather than needlessly throwing it away.

Goals from Long throws dont come all that regularly in rl (bar rory delap)

It would be good to find a way to utilise this feature to its full potential.( not in a way the corner bug is effective but instead to cause big problems for teams that aren't set up tactically/mentally or physically to deal with this kind of problem.

I've scored a few headers from long throws. Taker is David Luiz - he has long throws at 17, don't think he has that PPM and I never bothered tweaking the throw-ins (so presumably its still mixed) but I've scored a few. You don't need the PPM for the guy to try it sometimes.

Archived