It finally happened.

I have finally gotten bored of spending money like Man City and dominating the world.

I figure its about time that I find out what it feels like to develop a squad primarily with products of your academy and talented youngsters I have scouted.

So starting this summer I will be selling off some of my superstars.

And the first one to go will be........Cristiano Ronaldo.

I figured its about I found what all the fuss was about with developing gems and such.

Well wish me luck :)

And the first one to go will be........Cristiano Ronaldo.

I figured its about I found what all the fuss was about with developing gems and such.

Well wish me luck :)

I wish you luck that you can find a club that will make an offer for your stars.

I started a save on FM10 with Arsenal with the intention of doing it the "Arsenal Way" - build a young team that plays sizzling football without spending more than necessary. In 20 seasons we won 78 trophies, including 20 league titles on the trot, 9 Champions League (including 5 in a row) and once went 157 league games unbeaten.

In those 20 years I spent £600m, but recouped £460m. I could have spent less, but doing it on the cheap was the one aspect of it that I wasn't obsessive about. My outlook was, if I can grab a bargain, great, but if I want that guy bad enough I'll pay the monies.

I know the level of success has been a bit unrealistic, but it was so much fun winning it all with a team with an average age of 22-24, and watching those guys from ages 17-21 that you either brought through the ranks or paid good money for turn into world-class players, and in some cases, legends. It's so rewarding to chuck the youngsters in and see them perform and to watch their stats grow.

A few of my legends that are still playing:

• Alejandro - £5m from Real Madrid. Broke into the first team at 17 and has been there ever since.
  • Asier Sukunza - £25m from Athletic. Bought him at 21. He didn't really have a great goal record but I took a gamble. 122 goals in 226 league games and 42 trophies later, I reckon it was a bargain.
  • Carlo Cocco - £3m from Roma. Went straight into the side at 17 and has stayed there for 12 years. Versatile and consistent. A tiny fella, but a massive player for me.
  • David Moran - £10m from Malaga. I needed to replace Fabregas and Moran looked the part, even at 18. Malaga wouldn't sell so I had to pay to activate his release clause. Thank God I did. An assist machine.
  • Neil Lopez - £3.5m from Leciester. Bought him at 17 and he broke into the team at 18. Scored 81 goals in 269 league games from the wing as well as countless assists. One of the best players I've ever produced.

My only regret is that more of our academy players didn't go on to become greats. Some guys with awesome stats came though and while some made it as squad players, many had to be moved on, which I hate. At least we made good money on them!

After playing FM this way and getting so much from it, I will never play it any other way. Good luck aderow. If you've got the patience you'll have some serious fun. :)

I wish you luck that you can find a club that will make an offer for your stars.

You make a good point here....

Just 4 league games in last 5 years ? How does ur team not get complacent ??

I demand everything from my players.

I'd suggest playing as someone like Dortmund or PSG. Great youngsters and not much money to spend to begin with.

I'm not really looking to start a new game. Plus, since I play FM10, Dortmund don't have Kagawa and that would be a deal breaker.

I had exactly the same feeling while playing FM06, I haven't looked back since :thup:
I started a save on FM10 with Arsenal with the intention of doing it the "Arsenal Way"

I'm glad its gone well for you guys. Hopefully I have some ability to develop youngsters.....

Archived