Players that perform above their stats...

I normally manage Man Utd as I support them. This ultimately leads me to not wanting to get rid of any players without giving them a good go (unless they are absolutely dire). After a couple of seasons in I had a few youth/reserve team players that could take the step up, I took the ones that I was short of in terms on position and moved the other ones that wouldn't have got a game.

I currently have Tom Cleverley in my first team and Matt James waiting in the reserves. Tom has been in the first team for a year (third season) and has done well as a stop gap despite his unremarkable stats* - His contract is up in the summer and with the likes of Defour and Wistel coming in on frees I cannot see him getting a game despite performing admirably (he has this knack of scoring goals from midfield). I also had James to come in and eventually replace Carrick however he faces the same problem.

Do you guys progress with your youth despite them not being world beaters or do you flog them and farm the database for the best talent?

*Cleverley has also become a full England international.

If they perform, I don't see why you shouldn't play them.

I do a mixture of both I suppose. Usually give them a full season with enough games to see if they cut it. If they play well enough, I keep them. If not, I ship them out...

Its difficult, and it all comes down to the managers preferance.

If you want to advance quickly, then as you say 'database farming' is what alot of managers do to win trophies. Taking your time in a save and understanding that winning 5 Champions leagues in 1 season isnt all ways the best approach, and nuturing youth to first team can be equally as fulfilling ...then winning the champions league with them, wow.

Just ask yourself where you want the club to go and how quickly - at united you probably want the first. Farm the database and win trophies. Otherise you'll have Mr glazier bearing down on your back.

To think of it since the golden era of Beckham, Giggs and Neville etc - united havn't produced too many youths that have waltzed into the first team. Fabio? Evans?

That's the thing, in past games United have had some quality players come through for me (or I have been incredibly jammy with the random PA/CA - Still remember when I was ranting that Danny Galbriath would break into the United first team when he was sick on one of my saves).

This season they seem a little too old and too young with not enough at a good standard (barring the likes of Rooney, Nani, Vidic etc). With that said I have invested in the current crop, Evans, Fabio, Rafael will all remain with me for their careers unless they end up hating me for some reason. Cleverley, Ben Amos and Matt James are also in the reckoning. I've done alright too 1 League Cup, 2 Champions Leagues and FA Cup and 1 League title* (which was by far the most satisfying - I find it impossible to get past Arsenal!) in three seasons.

*Before you think I some kind of Wenger clone, I have splashed the cash on LLoris, Thiago Silva and Alexis Sanchez.

I would bring them through IF I didn't have a better option. I usually play as Everton so never have more than £20m or so to spend, even after a stadium expansion and takeover. So I can't go filling my squad with world class players as I can only sign the odd free transfer (And top quality players are rare now) and possibly one per season (I am avoiding using the stupid 48 month installment exploit as it's stupid).

I have a regen called Stewart Smith at left back. His stats are terrible, single figures for most, but he's getting a 7.3 average in the Premier League and has 11 England caps, the next best left back being Ryan Bertrand (Bizarre). There aren't many quality left backs and the only ones that would improve things would cost me £35m at least. So I don't bother.

I normally manage Man Utd as I support them. This ultimately leads me to not wanting to get rid of any players without giving them a good go (unless they are absolutely dire). After a couple of seasons in I had a few youth/reserve team players that could take the step up, I took the ones that I was short of in terms on position and moved the other ones that wouldn't have got a game.

I currently have Tom Cleverley in my first team and Matt James waiting in the reserves. Tom has been in the first team for a year (third season) and has done well as a stop gap despite his unremarkable stats* - His contract is up in the summer and with the likes of Defour and Wistel coming in on frees I cannot see him getting a game despite performing admirably (he has this knack of scoring goals from midfield). I also had James to come in and eventually replace Carrick however he faces the same problem.

Do you guys progress with your youth despite them not being world beaters or do you flog them and farm the database for the best talent?

*Cleverley has also become a full England international.

I think if you bring a Youth Player through or someone who's been with you for a long time, even if their stats are not world breaking, if they'r good where it matters then they'll perform well. In FM2008 I had a good smattering of established players - some of which came through the youth system and won the League with them along with the Champions League two years on the trot.

I like to use the most players from the club's reserve and youth teams as I can. They're already blend in with the rest of the squad, some of them have the club and another team players as their favorite club/personnel, and if they're good I rather have them than buying players.

Its personal preference really.

As Man Utd, you could go either way...... Buy 'em young and develop or buy 'em already developed.

Personally, it may be wise to take the second option because the expectations at a club like Man Utd are high and you may not have enough time on the training ground ;)

Archived