Help me choose a laptop, please

I'm in the market for a new laptop and I'm no longer up to speed with the current technology when it comes to laptops.

Tesco currently have 20% off all laptops but I can't figure out which one is good enough for my needs despite reading various reviews so I'm hoping you guys can help me out..

Apart from the ability to play Football Manager 2011, I need the laptop to ideally have bluetooth (although new ones don't seem to have it for some reason).

hdmi is pretty much essential and also wireless n (if possible for the future). Webcam would also be good.

Football Manager will be the only 'proper' game the machine will ever see.

Please note that some of the specs listed on Tesco website are incorrect, but those of you in the know probably know that already!

Budget is around £400.

thanks.

For football manager you will need

minimum

i3 530 processor

4gb ram

512 mb graphics card (dedicated)

ideal

i5 650 processor

4-6gb ram

best

i7 880 process

6-8gb ram

1gb graphics card (dedicated)

Go for the best one you can afford! No point in buying a computer now and having to fork out the same amount of money 2 or 3 years down the road. Besides the best one now will be far better than the minimum you can get and will last way longer. If you buy minimum now you'll buy minimum specs in 2-3 years time. Buy Max Specs now and you'll have a really good computer for 5 or 6 years!

Yeh that's fine. As I say you'll probably find yourself buying a new one in 2-3 years time if you go for a lower spec machine.

I understand the tight budget, but if you could squeeze a bit more into the computer you'll be better off in the long run, faster computer, better gaming, and probably won't need a new one for 5 years.

Something to think about.

Based on your budget these 3 are your best options

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.210-7205.aspx

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-0404.aspx

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.210-2791.aspx

BUT If you went a bit extra this would be better (IT's ONLY A 14 INCH SCREEN THOUGH)

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.209-1599.aspx

They're not the greatest, the graphics card is shared. But given your budget that's the best.

It's hard to know if they have bluetooth? The description says it does. But the specs says "NO".

You should clarify it with them before you buy it. Even still, a bluetooth adapter is very cheap to buy, just plug it in the usb port.

Thanks for your time.

The last one is too expensive and screen isn't the best size.

I realise the graphics are shared, but I'm highly unlikely to bother playing the game in 3d, if that makes a difference.

I've had the game since release and my current laptop has a few issues and struggles playing the game which is part of why I want a new one.

I think I prefer the HP one and that is also the only one with hdmi connection.

Don't you just hate decisions like this!

Dell Outlet store has a decent one for 402 (not including vat)

Studio 1558

* Studio 1558

* Processor:Intel i3-370M(2.4GHz) Mobile CPU

* Operating System English Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (32 BIT)

* Hard Drive : 320GB Serial ATA (5400RPM)

* 3072MB (1x1024 + 1x2048) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel

* Optical Drive : 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Roxio Burn software

* Display : 15.6in High Definition (1366X768) WLED

* LCD Back Cover Black Chainlink

Click here for available options and upgrades

Price: £406.52

Price excl. VAT and delivery

It also has 1gb video card

Not sure if this link will work for you http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=7&c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en&s=dfh

If you get into the Dell Outlet store and choose LAPTOPS then on the left there are options - in here select i3 and i5 in the processor section.

Much better in my opinion

For football manager you will need

minimum

i3 530 processor

4gb ram

ideal

i5 650 processor

4-6gb ram

best

i7 880 process

6-8gb ram

1gb graphics card (dedicated)

Go for the best one you can afford! No point in buying a computer now and having to fork out the same amount of money 2 or 3 years down the road. Besides the best one now will be far better than the minimum you can get and will last way longer. If you buy minimum now you'll buy minimum specs in 2-3 years time. Buy Max Specs now and you'll have a really good computer for 5 or 6 years!

Ludricous post. That isn't the minimum spec at all. Check the minimum spec on the back of the game to see what you need. I was using a AMD Athlon processor, miles slower than a i3 and my memory was 2gb and it ran like the wind.

I would avoid Tesco. Prices are high even in a sale. Look at Dell, especially the discount Dell shop called DMX Dimension. Also, if buying from Dells website, go through Quidco first and save yourself 6%. Alternatively buy off Amazon or Play - cheapest around with a brilliant returns policy. Or try ebuyer for very cheap but slightly worse guarantees and customer service.

Ludricous post. That isn't the minimum spec at all. Check the minimum spec on the back of the game to see what you need. I was using a AMD Athlon processor, miles slower than a i3 and my memory was 2gb and it ran like the wind.

I would avoid Tesco. Prices are high even in a sale. Look at Dell, especially the discount Dell shop called DMX Dimension. Also, if buying from Dells website, go through Quidco first and save yourself 6%. Alternatively buy off Amazon or Play - cheapest around with a brilliant returns policy. Or try ebuyer for very cheap but slightly worse guarantees and customer service.

Look these computers come with Windows 7 - which require 1-2 gb ram. It's not just about what the game needs, it's what the computer needs to run itself.

I don't really see the point in buying a computer with anything less than "i" processor anyways. THat's my opinion. And I don't see the point in getting less ram than 4gb either.

Not really ludicrous either; the budget was for £400

And the i3 with 4gb RAM is about £400

My post wasn't based on the minimum spec of Football Manager - it was based on the OPs budgetary requirements.

AS I said: they are better off getting the best computer they can afford to save them a trip to the computer shop in the very near future.

There are other places other than Tesco to buy, and I posted the link to DELL outlet.

If you want to base it on the specs of Football Manager then go out an buy any computer for about £400

Or you can listen to someone that works with computers day in and day out for the last 14 years.

Don't be childish. I work with computers, I build them, I've a degree in computer science but none of that matters. Far too many people are too snobbish and brand-oriented when it comes to Intel processors. AMD make great processors too - especially for mobile laptops.

Windows 7 needs 1-2 gb of memory so recommending 4 could scare people into spending money for no reason. If you hardly use processing power then you won't see a difference between a Pentium old style and a new style i3. However, your wallet will!

Don't chase specs and brand names. Sit down, work out a budget (which you've done) and decide what you'll use it for now and in the future and make sure a spec can do those. If money is no object, then yeah get the best components. However if money is tight, only buy what you need and don't throw money after specs you won't use or take full advantage of, and definitely don't be scared by people who try and convince you you need 4gb as a minimum, for example.

How am i being childish? You rushed in here without understanding what I was I talking about and called it "ludicrous " and it wasn't luidcrous at all. Then you went on a tirade.

I don't chase specs or brand names. But I do stay away from the ones that have been problematic in the past, like hp/compaq.

I changed the 4gb to 1-2 gb (depending on 32 or 64 bit) directly after posting it because I wanted to make it clear that Windows uses max 2gb. So anything 2gb or less would be useless when buying a new computer, in my opinion.

For someone that builds computers you think you'd know what I was talking about in regards in buying a computer that will not only be more than efficient in running the game but also has longevity for the end user. (whilst staying in the low low low price of £400)

And for someone that builds computer one would think you'd build yourself a better computer than "I was using a AMD Athlon processor, miles slower than a i3 and my memory was 2gb"

You'd think you know that Windows 7 needs RAM and anything less than 4gb is a joke to get with windows 7. I would think that someone with any experience in building computers would know this.

This is my laptop:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops/1280059/packard-bell-easynote-tm-tm99-gn-005uk

And i can say it plays Football Manager 2011 amazingly well for a laptop, and provides an LED HD screen, also the 3D match view doesnt lag at all.

Specs - 4GB Ram, Inbuilt 1.3mp webcam, super multi dvd drive, Intel LED HD graphics (incl HDMI port), 320GB Hard drive, Intel i3 processor, adobe photoshop elements comes standard with the laptop (free photoshop!!)

In other words, this provides you with everything you need, and can be found around £400 if you look around a bit. Oh except bluetooth, but who uses that these days anyway, transfer stuff via USB stick or email or online file storage or something :) Or if you want stuff to your phone, just plug the cable in :p

That's pretty decent. The 4gb RAM, i3 Processor are the most important things.

Having a dedicated graphics card is ALWAYs better than a shared graphics card. But if it puts it outside the price range a shared one will have to do.

Photoshop Elements is not photoshop though lol. It's good but nowhere near as comprhensive. :D

Hi,

I've just had chance to catch up a bit on this thread. My budget may increase slightly (possibly i5) due to a slight change in circumstances, however, I do like the Dell link that was posted at £420 and it does look good for my needs.

I would like to go i3 minimum and preferably 4gb ram and integrated graphics anyway, but would it be better to go Windows 7 64-bit over 32-bit or would this not matter?

Also, I do really like the look of that HP

Decisions, decisions.... I'm fed up of looking and hesitating. Time to buy one now!

Thanks for your help, been great.

Just something else to note before speaking to Dell. When you do decide to get from them make a point of phoning and not buying direct online or even from their click to chat online advisors.

Reason being, if you speak to them in person you might be able to haggle a better deal. Dont except that the price online is the best they can do.

When i spoke to them about buyung an Alienware laptop , I asked them if there was any deal or Coupons ( codes for certain deals sometimes found online ) , and gave them the whole im a loyal Dell cutomer blag

The girl on the phone went off to speak to a manager and then came back and offered a 20% discount. The online advisors had previously fogged me off.

So worth giving it it a try if you see something on there website that is even just a little out of your range.

Also just thought I would add a link to this website,, some of those vouchers get linked on it and the forums will be worth a quick scan through too as there is all kinds of help and sections there,,,good luck

http://www.notebookreview.com/

If you can, I'd be going for something with the new i5 or i7 cpu ('Sandy Bridge'- they are numbered i5 2xxx, i7 2xxx), and at least 6GB of RAM, running windows 7 64 bit. The new cpu integrated graphics should handle FM matches- let's face it, its not the most demanding game when it comes to the graphics. However if you want to use your laptop for any demanding graphics uses then a graphics card might be needed.

I'm back again!

Remember, the only game that is likely to get played is FM and I'm hoping the laptop to last at least 5 years. My current Levovo is 5 or 6 years old.

Anyway, looking away from the 'i' processors, what about this AMD from Dell?

Based on the fact that the only game you wish to play is FM, the specs on this laptop are spot on, the RAM is the right amount for running Windows 7, FM and a number of other background applications, music etc. The graphics processor is not an intergrated one but a ATI chip which will enable you to play the ME with all detail on and have no slow down.

All in all providing you don't go and select the whole world of leagues you should find this will play FM very smoothly for a number of years.

May I suggest though that you avoid the Lotus Pink colour :)

Avoid Acer laptops. The hardware is very poor standard, especially the USB sockets which tend to overload and crash the machine upon heavy loads.

I second this. What ever you do, simply do not buy Acer. Usually smokes just after warranty, and often earlier. Asus has rather good price/quality ratio so that is always a safe choice. Good Intel processor and minimum of 3gb of RAM, though if you get a good price for AMD then go for it. I am not convinced you get enjoyable 3d matches with integrated graphics as someone has suggested. Though fm shouldn't demand anything too new, my old laptop with hd3650 runs fm well at minimum graphics quality.

That Dell looks nice, enough ram and that 500gb hard drive suits well for a laptop.

That dell will be more than sufficient. The laptop ( Dell Inspiron 1520) that I still have now plays FM11 even with 3D and the basic integrated card just fine. I even play it with Scot / Eng / French / Dutch / Italian / German / Spanish / Brazil / snd Argie leagues as all playable on a large database. It can be slow at times loading results ( esp international), but hasnt bothered me that much.

My dell only has a Celeron M processor and the only thing I have upgraded was putting it up to 4GB RAM,, ,so you should be fine with that one. Im only upgrading as its getting old and FM is the only game it can handle these days ,,,

But remember PHONE dell and ask them to do you a deal before buying,, or at least get them to chuck you a few extras or accerorries.

How am i being childish? You rushed in here without understanding what I was I talking about and called it "ludicrous " and it wasn't luidcrous at all. Then you went on a tirade.

I don't chase specs or brand names. But I do stay away from the ones that have been problematic in the past, like hp/compaq.

I changed the 4gb to 1-2 gb (depending on 32 or 64 bit) directly after posting it because I wanted to make it clear that Windows uses max 2gb. So anything 2gb or less would be useless when buying a new computer, in my opinion.

For someone that builds computers you think you'd know what I was talking about in regards in buying a computer that will not only be more than efficient in running the game but also has longevity for the end user. (whilst staying in the low low low price of £400)

And for someone that builds computer one would think you'd build yourself a better computer than "I was using a AMD Athlon processor, miles slower than a i3 and my memory was 2gb"

You'd think you know that Windows 7 needs RAM and anything less than 4gb is a joke to get with windows 7. I would think that someone with any experience in building computers would know this.

please do tell, which application can use all of 6 gigs of RAM for example. When you talk **** about how 4 gigs is "minimum". I'd really like to know what applications can actually use 6 gigs for example?

I think that the AMD Dell is my favourite one so far, and a pretty good price.

I might give the phoning up a try, but to be honest I'm really rubbish at haggling!

I just need to find out if this has bluetooth now. I know I could use my phone cable but would prefer bluetooth. However, if it hasn't, I will probably bite the bullet anyway.

The hard drive size isn't too important for me. I have a 500gb NAS and I think only 30gb is taken up on that!

Now I just need my new credit card to hurry up and arrive. I will be putting it on a 13 month interest free card, with half paid for straight away. That is where my circumstances changed slightly.

Nice machine Spertz,,, thats that company from newcastle aint it? It has a pretty similar spec to the Alieware M15x i have on order. Just wondered how many leagues etc you are able to play on it and what its like. Mind you compared to what i have gotten used to it will be like the wind anyway.

Sorry to go off topic on your thread cymru78,, you dont really need to haggle much,, just ask about their money off coupons ,, claim you saw some online somewhere. Then mention you have seen one you like buts its a little steep for your budget and let them do the offering. If you aleeady got the means just keep it to yourself ,, no harm in asking. To give another example ,, today after i ordered mine they recommended i take the 2 or 3 year warrenty. I told the girl i might upgrade later on, but that i had spent my limit for time being. After hanging up I got a phonecall back off her 10mins later telling me she had given me the 2 yr cover anyway for free. That was annother hundred or so saved. As you see once you start haggling they can be quite good. I may have just been lucky,,, but dont ask dont get.

and now this samsung has turned up for £380 (using a code)

So that is a third option... Dell, HP or Samsung?

Other than the fact that this has sold out it has an intergrated chipset for the graphics, this can be okay for the ME but some have prooved difficult and you may have to reduce your graphical settings, also don't forget that this is an investment for the next few FM versions so it may be okay now but each year the ME gets better and more sophisticated.

Other than the fact that this has sold out it has an intergrated chipset for the graphics, this can be okay for the ME but some have prooved difficult and you may have to reduce your graphical settings, also don't forget that this is an investment for the next few FM versions so it may be okay now but each year the ME gets better and more sophisticated.

The i3 processor has integrates high-definition graphics inside the processor - the additional graphics card is nice and probably better to have, but the i3, i5 and i7 processors all do the HD graphicss inside the processor - which is nice - so an integrated graphics card isn't that much of an issue "for now!".

Right, that's it.

I am almost, just about, perhaps certain I'm actually going to buy the.... wait for it... HP!

It may have a smaller hard drive, but this isn't important to me.

It may have 1gb less RAM, but I can always add more

It has a larger screen and, it's £50 cheaper and it looks better.

I really feel that this laptop will last a good few years and will be ok for FM for quite a few years as well. Infact, I think both will be ok for quite some time.

Archived