Is there a way to limit backwards and sideways passes, especially with centrebacks?

You could increase their mentality to make them take more risk, you could also increase their passing to more direct, long, to make them look for options further up the field. You also need to make sure you have players further up the field who can receiver the passes in a bit of space, typically players with a defend/support role. The alternative is employing a target man up front so everyone focus the passes to him

It is your tactics. That's good advice above. Look at the teams roles too. Maybe your defenders are all on 'defend' roles and midfielders on 'attack' so there is too much space and no one to pass to.

Shouts like 'get ball forward' and 'pump into the box' will make them hoof the ball up the park.

Playing a higher line or a DM would help in that regard. Obviously you'll have centre backs trading a lot of passes, but if there's an option further forward, they'll usually take it. 70-80 is excessive though, so I'd say the reason is that they don't have enough passing options, as the opposition aren't pressing, but just sitting men behind the ball, so a DM, or having the defensive line further up should mean they'll be closer to the midfield, or have a closer option for them to make a simple pass upfield.

I do have a dm, and the defensive line is already as high as I can possibly make it.

Hassebasse80 has given you the best advice.

If your centre backs are passing the ball between you its because they lack options.

You can either increase the risk of passes you want them to attempt (Mentality) or increase the passing range you want them to look for but by far I suspect your issue is that when they get the ball the fullbacks & midfielders all start bombing forward.

I would be tempted to say also look at the orders you've given to fullbacks and central midfielders as these are the people that should be receiving the passes and they can't if they have turned their backs and sprinting up the field.

We would probably also be able to give better advice if you posted a screenshot of your tactics so we can understand them more clearly.

Archived