Aging Players

Quick question...does anyone here in the community try the Arsenal approach on players in their 30s with expiring contracts, or do you keep them until they retire?

Just checking on other people opinions because Diego Militio is in this category and he still scores respectable amount of goals but not as effective as the younger players in the squad. Right now he is more like a back-up player.

For me the peak age is 32. After that, everything starts to go downhill fast. So for me, I'll have a look. If they've been long-serving (whole career or 10 years+ at club), I'll keep them until they retire or eventually become staff, but at a much lower wage. If their agent or player refuses the low wage, they've got to go. I find old players to be very good tutors for the young 'uns.

Of course, there are some who just keep going on and on (Giggs, van der Sar), so I'd still sign them on due to loyalty :D

I guess the general rule is that you should put the best team possible out there every match (well, not every match :p).

Of course, there's the benefits of tutoring and leadership that comes with the veterans which is a reason to hold on to them. In the end, you should be keeping and starting the players who will produce the best results.

I'm always a fan of youth and keeping the squad young, and will normally keep a player into their mid/late 30s or so only if they are a big impact player (like the squad's captain or something).

Pretty much what Goofus said, I guess.

I understand both theories. I still play Lucio about 95% throughout the whole season even though he is 33 years old and I have Neven Subotic, Barzagli, and Fabiano Santacroce in the squad. Militio doesn't contribute to the squad as much as Lucio, but I do use him for tutoring also. But for me I start looking at players who turn 34 as I think at about that age I don't use them as much or even before they turn 32, but I don't like having players on the bench just to have them, it tends to take up space and they could probably get more playing time in Saudi Arabia and some more cash too ;-).

If they have strong mental stats and are very capable of taking on mentee's then I will keep them.

If they lack the above and their wages are high.... I'll let them go.

I will often try to extend an expiring contract on the top players if they are happy with reserve team/backup football...... but I will not pay lots of cash for some past it prima donna to sit on the bench

They stay until they're in serious decline or until a youth player is ready to replace them. Then I'll either keep them on a lower wage to tutor them, or sell them if it's worth it. If I can't find a youth player, I'll sign whoever I can that's good enough.

That's just a general rule though, on FM10 in my Liverpool team in the 2020's there were several players I'd have kept till their late 30's, one of them was simply the best regen I've ever had, over 600 career goals for Liverpool, I wished I'd stayed at the club longer to use him!

Sell most players before 30th birthday, sell CBs before 32nd birthday.

Average age of my squad is 23. Registered just 14 players over the age of 21 this year, 1 over 30.

If I do want to keep an older guy I totally take the Wenger approach. Had Robinho last 2 seasons, he was 32 this summer so I offered him a 1 yr extension on decent money, he wanted more and 2 years. I refused, now he plays for PSV.

One week later, a 34 yr old Kaka is still unsigned so I offer him £40k a week take it or leave it, 1 yr deal and he goes for it.

I HATE being stuck with a past it pro who I won't make any money on and is costing me a fortune in wages. I should've maybe kept Robinho for another season, but theres no chance of me being stuck with him for another 1 after that on big money.

Archived