help needed - apparently im not very disciplined?

guys, i just want to know why players keep complaining to me about how worried they are about the lack of discipline at the club? what does this mean and how do i prevent it? i let my assistant coach do all the press interviews. is this the problem? please help

wont that just **** them off? i did that with ryan babel and he got pretty ****ed off so i offloaded him. dont really want that happening with torres or gerrard. and i need the reason why this is happening so i can stop it before the come to me for a whinge

I've had that with my players. A couple have kicked off about the lack of discipline. Then next match I had a red card, my assistant said there was no point appealing so instead of issuing a warning I dished out a one week fine and now the player is unhappy and the players moaning about lack of discipline are still unhappy as well, despite me having personal chats with both of them saying I was going to be more firm

• 1 month later...
I had that but then spoke to the player and said that i would change, now when a player gets sent off or does something i give them a warning. I don't fine then because they get unhappy but they accept a warning. But if they keep getting sent off then i would fine them.

I had 3 of my star players complain together, so I tried to say I'd change to 2 of them. Both said they didn't believe me, got uber-aggressive with me and relationships broke down. One of them was a Model Professional / Reserved, the other Determined/Level-Headed. So I didn't even bother talking to the 3rd, either way he'll be unhappy.

I find it ironic that these highly professional guys are showing such a lack of discipline by complaining about the lack of discipline.

Lack of discipline seems mainly to do with red cards or I suppose allowance of certain stars dressing room/in press dissent of you, the club or another player. Had this with Xavi and Puyol in my Barca save a few games back. I'd had no red cards until Mascherano's first in January, I could see it was a terrible challenge but figure I've gotta allow him the odd one given how he goes about his job. Two games later Busquets makes an even worse one and gets himself sent off (he was, incidentally, filling in for the suspended Mascherano in a cup game which ****ed me off further as I was now without a pure defensive mid in the competition). So I gave him an official warning following the game.

Next thing is Xavi and Puyol are both coming concerned over the lack of discipline. Xavi immediately falls into line when I tell him there isn't any such problem,I did just issue the warning didnt I? Puyol is stubborn tho, he says I am 'in denial over my management skills' after the same brush off I gave Xavi, so I then said I was astounded at his unprofessionalism, at which he also backed down and all 3 of us are now the best of friends :D.

I think the worst thing you could do in a spot like that is show weakness to the questioning player as in trying to change, second worst thing is to attack the player with threats of transfer or reserve team footy. Just stand your ground.

You need to make sure you fine players/warn them when it's warranted. That doesn't mean doing it each time they get sent off, or whatever, but it does mean you need to take a stance against silly sending offs and violent behaviour on the pitch.

Sometimes you might want to be more careful about disciplining players though. My captain hacked down a striker about to get clean through on with 5 minutes remaining and us up by one goal. Fine by me, as it was a clear goal-scoring opportunity and he prevented it. We went on to win the game. Another player got two yellows in one game and was "disappointed to be sent off". The ref had a terrible game, dishing out yellows left, right and centre, and both teams ended the match with 10 players. His personality is "sporting", so I doubt he was particularly out of line, so I let it go.

I think the worst thing you could do in a spot like that is show weakness to the questioning player as in trying to change, second worst thing is to attack the player with threats of transfer or reserve team footy. Just stand your ground.

I guess you're right. From now on I'll be denying any problems. And second best option might be to ignore the "player unhappy" message. There doesn't seem to be a huge morale effect this way and I'm assuming the concerns will go away in a few months time.

Now I had a terrible home loss where my defender was sent off after 8 min. So I fined him 1 week's wages and I gave 2 others warnings for poor performance. Ironically, one of them was a guy who had complained about lack of discipline. I hope he enjoyed his warning, maybe I should have hit him with a 2 week fine instead. Unfortunately as a database entry rather than a live human being he didn't get the irony - he's still concerned and considering his options due to my lack of discipline.

I guess you're right. From now on I'll be denying any problems. And second best option might be to ignore the "player unhappy" message. There doesn't seem to be a huge morale effect this way and I'm assuming the concerns will go away in a few months time.

I thought that as well, until instead of the concerns going away a few weeks later, Torres handed me a transfer request!

I also feel the best thing is to stand your ground - in frustration I told him "I'm your head coach and what I say goes", and suddenly he became all pally with me again.

Two yellow cards should be a warning. A straight red is a weeks fine. I've never really had any discipline problems doing this, but on the rare occasion that I've had problems with players, I will not back down and if they don't like it, I will send them packing.

I saw somebody talking about having problems with Babel, and funnily enough, so did I. He was straight out the door!

Don't forget your reserve and U18 players aswell. I was getting the problem with players complaining about discipline but none of my 1st team players had an problem with sending offs, etc. Then I realised that reserve and u18 players were being sent off and I did nothing about it but once I sorted them out I have never had a problem since.

Archived