Asking players for recommendations

As i've said in previous posts I'm a big fan of the real time speaking and negotiation in FM11.

My one concern is asking players for recommended signings. I don't do it too often, I used to ask a few players during the summer and sometimes in the lead up to January. I'm in my 4th season on the new game and I haven't been recommended one player. I use the interaction a fair amount to speak to my players. Even the ones that i've built up a good relationship with don't seem to have any ideas.

I would also like to see next year just being able to ask for a player to recommend, not a first team player, back up or youngster followed by having to give a position. I'm not saying the options should be taken out, I just think there should be another option just to ask for a player and not have to give any further details

I've had the recommendations work quite a few times in all fairness. I think it's more likely to work if you ask new players arriving at the club, and not players on the books for quite a few seasons. It also helps if they were based in another country before you signed them or if they are internationals of some degree (youth level up).

No real evidence of any of that - but it's how it feels to me.

I have been asking new signings from home and abroad as well as established player and the handful I have that play internations, still to no avail.

I've had the same problem, i asked most of my first 11 and not one of them could make a recommendation.

I have the same experience as you. I've only had recommendations from newly signed, foreign youth internationals.

However, I've never been recommended a player that I found good enough to sign, and I wonder whether it is coded to affect my relationship to the player doing the recommending in a negative way?

Edit: I'm also wondering why I am asked about position? Why don't they just spill it all? I mostly do it to make young players from a foreign culture feel welcome, and I don't mind what position their 'friend' is playing as long as they are good.

Once I got an unknown guy recommended by one of my players. He looked fairly crap so I didn't sign him.

Result - My player got unhappy about ignoring his advice and wanted to leave :(. Never used this feature ever.

I have Brazilian veteran Viola at my club. At 41 years of age now, it won't be long before he decides to rest those creaking joints and hang up his boots, ready to embark upon a staff career.

He wants to be a scout apparently, so I encourage that, whilst also asking if he can recommend any players. He hasn't come up with a single suggestion all season.

Guess I won't be offering him a scouting contract at my club then ;)

i really only ever ask players that i really like and i want to have a good relationship with in case i move and want them to come with. wesley sneijder usually recommends terribly crap youngsters when i ask him for kids but i still sign them, they are usually from real madrid so i don't mind bring them in and sticking them in the under 20s till they rot, sneijder loves it and loves me for it :D

I've had the same problem, i asked most of my first 11 and not one of them could make a recommendation.

This is the experience I've had in FM11, no ones knows anybody. Had one player once recommend someone, in FM10 it was much more common to get them, if they were any good was another story. But whats the point if almost no one can recommend anyone.

Incidentally, I've just encouraged Viola to become a scout immediately. Not offered him a contract, but asked him through the "development" chat options.

Needless to say, JPA 5 and JPP 4, so no wonder he never had any recommendations! ;)

• 2 months later...
i really only ever ask players that i really like and i want to have a good relationship with in case i move and want them to come with. wesley sneijder usually recommends terribly crap youngsters when i ask him for kids but i still sign them, they are usually from real madrid so i don't mind bring them in and sticking them in the under 20s till they rot, sneijder loves it and loves me for it :D

Maybe you should summon up some courage and just ask him out :p

If you are playing a top tier club and have funds to sign Ganso and Neymar, sign one of them first. Ask for a recommendation for first team signing and his best mate Neymar will be recommended, sign Neymar and Ganso will be extremely happy. Both Ganso and Neymar will list you as a favourite personnel and Neymar will learn the language of your country immediately. (a casual observation, not entirely sure)

Archived