fundamentalt problem with football manager

every year when October/November comes around is the same. I go down to the store to buy the new football manager. this year with lots of new features. like agents, and weather effects! that is good and all, but it is just details!

let me elaborate: instead of building on and making the last game better you, decide to demolish, and build from scratch instead. can anyone tell me how someone can make the same mistakes year after year without learning from it? do we always have to wait until the last patch for the game to be playable?

fm 10: it takes three patches before forwards can even score in a one on one situation. the game is basically a joke until then. 10.3 is a good game, but it has its flaws. for example; extremely offensive tactics are often more successful than realistic ones. no European top teams play with 3 strikers anymore. actually the most common formation in modern day football is the 4-5-1. I'm not saying it shouldn't be possible to experiment and still have success, because that part of what makes the game fun, but it should be many ways to achieve success. not just by blitzing him with five strikers.

you should have built on 10.3, and improved the flaws there. instead were stuck with the same bugs that has been on and of since fm 08. why are world class forwards worse finishers than myself, and why is half of real Madrid ( including Ronaldo) being transfer listed.

I love the game hence the passion, but even a faithful fm gamer cant look through his fingers anymore.

no offense but pull up your sleeves!

just some more things that was alot more realistic in 10.3:

my defence can no longer clear any crosses that comes into my area.

when a ball is loose 2-3 meters from my player it takes then 2-3 seconds to even react to it, and when they do they accelerate like a mobil home going upphill.

generally it seems the player are much more "clumsy" and less constructive when on the ball. they often fail at what they atempt, if they even their hessitation has not allready lead to them being tackled.

other than that, im happy with all the new features:)

The game isnt un-playable until the last patch I have played all versions out of the box and upgraded with the patches along the way. To stay the game is unplayable is a little bit harsh. The forwards in my team on FM2010 scored on 1 on 1 situations before any patching. As for FM2011 I have seen only cosmetic bugs at the moment which will be ironed out in a patch, but nothing that makes it unplayable. But then again I dont go looking for bugs.

fm 10: it takes three patches before forwards can even score in a one on one situation. the game is basically a joke until then. 10.3 is a good game, but it has its flaws. for example; extremely offensive tactics are often more successful than realistic ones.

Dont you see the connectivity here? Not enough striker one-on-one scoring\SI increase striker scoring\now a three striker formation is overpowered.

Its really hard to get the proper balance; also, many look for ways to exploit the AI.

Dont you see the connectivity here? Not enough striker one-on-one scoring\SI increase striker scoring\now a three striker formation is overpowered.

Its really hard to get the proper balance; also, many look for ways to exploit the AI.

yes i see your point here, and i agree, but I also feel like this is the wrong way to go about it. they should make the number of one on one situations fewer then, by increasing the skill and inteligens of the defenders. you hardly see david Villa miss 60% of one on one situations in real life.

and it doesnt explain all the other bugs that are constatly dissapearing only to re-appear in the next version.

but dont get the impression that I dont like the game, I just think the match engine is sorely lacking progress.

p.s i would like to add that I like that the ball now is less "glued" to a players feet, and can be reposessed more easily. (bad explaination, but it seems more natural than before).

every year when October/November comes around is the same. I go down to the store to buy the new football manager. this year with lots of new features. like agents, and weather effects! that is good and all, but it is just details!

let me elaborate: instead of building on and making the last game better you, decide to demolish, and build from scratch instead. can anyone tell me how someone can make the same mistakes year after year without learning from it? do we always have to wait until the last patch for the game to be playable?

fm 10: it takes three patches before forwards can even score in a one on one situation. the game is basically a joke until then. 10.3 is a good game, but it has its flaws. for example; extremely offensive tactics are often more successful than realistic ones. no European top teams play with 3 strikers anymore. actually the most common formation in modern day football is the 4-5-1. I'm not saying it shouldn't be possible to experiment and still have success, because that part of what makes the game fun, but it should be many ways to achieve success. not just by blitzing him with five strikers.

you should have built on 10.3, and improved the flaws there. instead were stuck with the same bugs that has been on and of since fm 08. why are world class forwards worse finishers than myself, and why is half of real Madrid ( including Ronaldo) being transfer listed.

I love the game hence the passion, but even a faithful fm gamer cant look through his fingers anymore.

everything youv'e said mate sums up the situation perfectly for me that's why this year i am not paying £20-30 quid straight away for this game i have purchased every version so far but i feel that the game is never playable until the third patch so im gonna wait until about february when it's playable and hopefully pay around 15 quid which i think it will be worth.

As a matter of fact, they do build on the game rather than demolish. They add new areas to the game (like the new interaction section) and they tweak what they already have. For example, they tweak the chances of a top player becoming unsettled (which happened too rarely before), but the tweak goes wrong, and it's too likely now.

As a matter of fact, they do build on the game rather than demolish. They add new areas to the game (like the new interaction section) and they tweak what they already have. For example, they tweak the chances of a top player becoming unsettled (which happened too rarely before), but the tweak goes wrong, and it's too likely now.

They -TRY- to add to the game, but they really did break a lot with 11. The MLS got cut back, is full of bugs and stupid database setups... now you might think, 'how cares about the MLS anyway' well it is a part of their game and it's a perfect example of how they damaged the game, because it all worked great in 10, was just hoping for some expansion on it, like the youth academies. Instead they remove aspects like that and it like I said it full of bugs now. Then there are numerous new bugs in the ME, it's nice to have the new graphics, but seems like they did a lot of actual rebuilding there and that's the source of the bugs, the most noticeable small bug I've seen is the commentary simply not showing if a player gets carded or not 100%. That's a very simple but also very noticeable bug, so it should have been fixed... but they were too intent on new things it seems.

It was a myth that strikers couldn't score 1-v-1s. A myth expunged with "it's your tactics". Chances-to-conversion % was way out, but the actual number of 1-v-1s scored was about right.

Not sure what the problems are this year. Not perfect, never will be - my minor pet peeve at the moment is too much passing in the box instead of shooting - but it is a long, long way from unplayable.

Yeah of course, you cannot expect it to be perfect, but it is true like the thread starter said, it's disappointing to see same errors every time the new series of the game launches when it was fixed before.

For me personally, things like top french clubs buying obscure 35 year old players that cannot be even included in the game ruin my game. Plus, in some of the leagues you aren't even able to be promoted which is, of course, unplayable, yellow cards penalties don't seem to work, player's international stats aren't updated through the game and most importantly - ME problems, which are NOT tactic related (cannot see how all 3, yes 3 players that have long shot stats below 10, score a wonder 80-footer in a single game while I blow away 6 one on one CCC are tactic related?). Kind of forces me to wait until it get's fixed unfortunately:/

I think the simple answer to this "fundamental problem" of FM that you mention is that SI rushes every year to release a new version of FM. Instead of updating previous version, they make a new game by adding new features and tweaking old features without thorough testing, hence the buyers become testers for SI, who only then makes patches to fix the game. It's not solely SI's fault though; it's business and they need to make money by holiday season.

Tbh they overhauled the ME in this version so it is likely to take some bedding in period.

This ME in theory is better han the old one as wider formations aren't at such a disadvantage. There is still a couple of things to iron out but i still think FM11 is a preety solid edition to the FM series.

And btw you don't have to buy every FM. I know alot of people, myself included who only buy every other one.

there are a few little bugs but they are not game breaking, im really enjoying my game and not noticing hardly any bugs.

did you play 10.3 then? I should not be possible to release a worse game than last years version, and still make people pay 30 pounds for it. I guess SI is laughing all the way to the bank.

Archived