Too much controversy

At least every other match, I get a news article with the heading 'Team X have goal disallowed' or 'Team X have goal ruled offside'.

There is NO need for this controversy, I can watch 100 Premiership matches and there will maybe be 5 decisions that were wrong. It should not be something that occurs often, nor should it always happen in my matches.

Simply put, tone down the controversy. The referees and linesmen are much better than the game suggests.

I agree, theres 2-5 pen appeals every game with team "furious" and the defensive team get angry at every goal conceded.

Theres usually several disallowed goals a game too.

Its insane. It all needs to be toned down because it spoils the enjoyment. I dont even mentally celebrate goals any more as Im always waiting for it to be called back.

Yes I would agree Thomas - it is used far too much. SI introduced it to reflect real life - as refs are under so much scrunity - especially by the players and managers during and after games. So SI implemented this, but went a bit too far - from something that happens to something that happens in a regular basis. It needs to be toned down.

Edit: Yeah great point Philly....I also do not celerbarte goals untill it is official - which does taint the enjoyment some what.

Im always waiting for it to be called back.

There's a way of 'predicting' if a goal will be allowed or not. If the referee and linesman stand still, then it was either a foul or an offside.

Oh and another controversial/blatant penalty this weekend was the Man Utd one. Avram reckoned there wasn't much wrong with Spector's tackle.

tbh, there are many penalties, disallowed goals, offside goals etc each season, in any league you look at. The problem with FM is that they highlight every single one of them :p Even if the goal is blatently offside, the game sends you a message saying "Controversial Decision". Its quite odd ... :p

As long as fm tone down the amount of messages and media focus on them the game should seem a lot more realistic.

what would be REALLY realistic is if everyone but FIFA wanted video referees ... :L

There's an easy way to tell if goals are offside. The goalflash usually goes in a different pattern if it's offside. The flash starts about 1 second later than it's supposed to. And yes, you can also just look at the linesman to see if he's standing still. Watching for both of those should save you fustration

There's an easy way to tell if goals are offside. The goalflash usually goes in a different pattern if it's offside. The flash starts about 1 second later than it's supposed to. And yes, you can also just look at the linesman to see if he's standing still. Watching for both of those should save you fustration

I wish I got to this thread earlier, that was just what I was going to say :p

There is a delayed flash in the commentary before the regular goal commentary.

The easiest way to tell if a goal is legal or not is looking at the assistant referee. If he's running back to the center it's OK, if he doesn't move (in 3D he even waves his little flag) it's gonna be disallowed.

Other than that, I don't think it's overdone in FM. At least in the Belgium, every weekend there's at least one blatant referee error. And if you look at how how many times players appeal for a penalty or off-side during any game, then FM is pretty close. Seriously, at least half of the goals scored there is at least one player indicating to the ref he was either fouled or the goal was off-side. And you should start counting penalty appeals per match (when watching a whole match IRL), you would be surprised.

Archived